PP 10w30, 5,426 mi, 2010 Dodge Journey 47,888 tot

burgandy25

So, this is our first UOA on our '10 DJ and we were quite shocked. I didn't want to do a motor flush but my father insisted so we did one 5 min before changing the oil. Metal particulates were high and they suspect that to be the cause. I'll attach the form so you all can see the report.
DJ has 47,888 mi at time of change, had PP with a Pureone filter. oil going in was PP with a Pureone synthetic filter. Next time we won't do a flush and see if the numbers go down.

I also posted this on Bob is the oil guy forum.

I would post a picture but this forum allows a pent size picture. so here is the link to bob to view the report:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3366495/PP_10w30,_5,426_mi,_2010_Dodge#Post3366495

For a moment reading your thread on BITOG I thought it was going to get real ugly with the comments. I've browsed their forum a few times and some times they can get pretty nasty with the debates....they take their oil changes way to serious.

Anyhow, I don't think the engine flush was needed as the Pennzoil (good oil) has the extra additives to remove sludge build up. Also why the 10w30 oil....shouldn't you be using 5w30?

BTW, I picked up some of the new PP made with natural gas. Supposed to be like Pennzoil's Ultra synthetic oil which is a very good. They possibly might have Mobil1 playing catch up now.

Edited by Journey_SeXT

yeah they get heated quickly over there. for '10 the recommended oil was 10w40 so thats what my father uses. I tell him no need for flushes but he insists saying that ever since he was in college he's used them with no ill effects, so why stop now. But since this oil analysis he finally gave in and said fine I won't any more. 5w30 would be fine but he sticks to what the manual says and no if ands or buts haha. I like Pennzoil Ultra for cleaning the engine and then use mobile 1 advanced fuel efficiency in my personal car (08 Saturn Astra). The PU is crazy at cleaning, 4K max and I need to change the oil.

Hah, you are correct on the viscosity of oil. I should've checked it out first that it does take 10W30. Also, I found that your vehicle recommends that you use mid-grade gasoline (89 octane) but you can use regular (87 octane)....good to know for anyone who owns a 2010 and hasn't cracked open their owners manual yet.

Car engines and motor oils from back in your dads days are not the same as the ones made now which make the engine flush unnecessary unless you are neglecting the regular maintenance or are having any sludge issues. It seems the oils you are using doesn't warrant the use of the flush. Even your owners manual on page 410 has the caution note:

CAUTION!
Do not use chemical flushes in your engine oil as the
chemicals can damage your engine. Such damage is
not covered by the New Vehicle Limited Warranty.
Edited by Journey_SeXT