Ebay backup camera for $50 installed

OK Ok Ok...keep your knickers on mate :)

Ebay item: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/7-Car-LCD-Monitor-Mirror-Wireless-IR-Reverse-Car-Rear-View-Backup-Camera-Kit-/141236899085?pt=US_Rear_View_Monitors_Cams_Kits&hash=item20e2600d0d

There are many like this on there..."buy it now " . Mine was under $50 with $5 shipping

• Before install the directions are garbage so look at them once and toss it.
  • It's a pretty simple connection though red= positive, black= negative, green= brake line & the other is obvious video. Installing the back-up camera was of course easy: unscrew the license plate boom your done.
  • Camera power cable just taps into your rear power line from the lights: Check voltage: and run the ground to a good spot and your camera is done.
  • Running the wires was not too much fun but still not too bad just invest in some zip ties to secure the line. Of course mounting the unit on the already there mirror is easy.
  • You sort of have 2 choices on the power: either go with an accessory line as long as you get 12 volts, below that equals a crappy picture. Or you can run the power to your battery and have the choice to turn it off and on every time you get in and out of the car.
  • Please connect it to an ACC power line it will be so much easier.
  • I just ran the ground under the dash where there were other ground wires: easy. Okay got the easy stuff done.
  • Hardest part: Location of your brake wires. Luckily it's usually black and pink. And if you're lucky and have a trailer set up you can just connect into that line under hood or dash and good luck under the dash.
  • Connected my video cables and battery put my ignition in the start position without starting the motor: put her in reverse and boom a nice bright view behind me in the Day Light.
  • After snugging everything down and double checking everything to be on the safety 3rd side it was time to give it a test.
  • During the day it works great and I have a nice clear picture behind me. One thing I noticed is that it doesn't have a too good of a peripheral vision to my right or left but it is acceptable.

No, I would like to see what it looks like installed on the back of the Journey. I want to see if it is a decent size or a oversized piece of equipment that makes it look like an eye sore.

The camera installs over the top of your licence plate.....am not going to post my licence plate up if that is what you are asking. Different cameras can be used with the lcd screen. Again...the camera is in the link provided to give you an idea of size

Edited by cskmom

am not going to post my licence plate up if that is what you are asking.

Damn, I wasn't even thinking about your plate#....I was just curious of the size of camera in comparison to the size of our Journey. Now when I read my earlier request again it does come off as real creepy. :lol: Sorry if it sounded that way cskmom. I was just curious because a while back at a Costco parking lot I saw a back up camera on a car and it was quite large in size.....you definitely couldn't walk past it without noticing it. The link does show the camera but not on the vehicle. I do see they have other back up cameras with a bit more of a sleek design but not sure if I want to have any extra equipment along with the GPS.

Couple of questions....does the camera turn off automatically when you shift to drive or do you have to turn it off manually from the rear view mirror? And does the rear view mirror screen also act as a mirror when turned off? Thanks.

Edited by Journey_SeXT

No, I would like to see what it looks like installed on the back of the Journey. I want to see if it is a decent size or a oversized piece of equipment that makes it look like an eye sore.

Google license plate mounted backup camera, there are tons of images to give you an idea. It's just a bar that mounts on top of the plate with the screws that hold the top of the plate to the car.

You have to MANUALLY turn off the screen when you put the car back in drive (the screen goes blue and says no signal). It does come with a wee remote you can use instead of touching the screen. Yes it acts as a rear view mirror when turned off

I didn't want to get a stand alone backup camera to sit on the dash because I use a GPS now and again that hangs from the windshield. By going this route, it looks just like a rear view mirror

The camera installs over the top of your licence plate.....am not going to post my licence plate up if that is what you are asking. Different cameras can be used with the lcd screen. Again...the camera is in the link provided to give you an idea of size

Ha! Do you cover your plates when you drive around town too? Not trying to be a smart ass (okay, yes I am), but your license isn't exactly a private number.... Just saying. However, it is certainly your choice not to show the pic (though I'd like to see it too).

Ha! Do you cover your plates when you drive around town too? Not trying to be a smart ass (okay, yes I am), but your license isn't exactly a private number.... Just saying. However, it is certainly your choice not to show the pic (though I'd like to see it too).

I notice that a lot when people post pics of their cars, the "black out" or otherwise blurr the license plate. I dont understand it, hundreds, if not thousands of people see my license plate every day as I'm driving around.

I was just curious because a while back at a Costco parking lot I saw a back up camera on a car and it was quite large in size.....you definitely couldn't walk past it without noticing it.

There are models that replace one of the license plate lights and they're virtually invisible. When I bough mine there were none available yet, so I fabricated a replacement light myself:

250_luce_targa_1.jpg260_sopporto_luce_targa.jpg270_luce_targa_con_supporto.jpg280_portalampada.jpg

290_portalampada_finito.jpg310_telecamera_montata.jpg

There are models that replace one of the license plate lights and they're virtually invisible. When I bough mine there were none available yet, so I fabricated a replacement light myself:

250_luce_targa_1.jpg260_sopporto_luce_targa.jpg270_luce_targa_con_supporto.jpg280_portalampada.jpg

290_portalampada_finito.jpg310_telecamera_montata.jpg

Very nice Lebowski! That would be very unnoticeable for anyone to see. The model that cskmom posted are fine too and some I have seen on ebay would actually look like a crown moulding on top of the plate cover if the cover was black. The one I saw at Costco looked like a photo camera :camera: stuck on the back and protruded pretty far out....it looked like crap but in fairness it was on a Toyota Corolla so I guess it blends in with the rest of the car. :lol:

Was able to see the pics in the gallery (not sure why I can see them there and not in the post)... Looks good. My only concern would be that it would block my uconnect microphones. Does it automatically dim?

Wow....bloody hell mate, you sure are expecting a lot for the price of the item....what next from you, does it drive the car for you while you scratch your bum? LOL

Wow....bloody hell mate, you sure are expecting a lot for the price of the item....what next from you, does it drive the car for you while you scratch your bum? LOL

Not expecting anything, I was just curious... The factory one dims automatically. And, I use my UConnect all of the time... Just curious is all.