Questions about Pop Up Trailers

onecrazyfoo4u

I see a lot of you guys have pop up trailers. I'm ordering my hitch kit and wiring and just wanted to verify a few things.

First, do the pop up trailers typically only have a 4-wire hookup? Meaning they have surge brakes instead of electric brakes usually?

Second, what size ball do the pop up trailers usually accept, 1 7/8" or 2"?

Lastly, I'm renting a little Uhaul trailer to move some stuff 1000 miles. Do you know what what wiring hookup and what size of balls those take?

Most pop up trailers don't have brakes... In most states, unless the trailer rates over 3,000 lbs GVW, brakes aren't needed, so, you'll find very few pop up trailers have brakes at all. If you are looking at a pop up that has brakes, you are more than likely looking at a gross over 3,000 lbs which is outside the tow limits of the DJ. So, in effect, yes, the DJ should have just a 4 pin plug to handle turn/stop lights; no additional wiring for brake actuators (brake controllers) and other electrical supply (12v charging for the trailer's onboard battery). There are a few trailers still out there that have surge brakes, but, they are getting rather scarce. Too much maintenance and by and large not very effective (they don't do squat if not constantly adjusted to operate correctly as the brake shoes wear) and if adjusted wrong can be worse than no brakes at all.

There is no "standard" size for trailer balls (it is based on GVW of the trailer, not type or style), however, you'll find that most of the lighter trailers (utility) will have a 1 7/8" ball, but, again, that may vary. Your best bet, IMHO, is to get the "Convert-a-ball" system (http://www.amazon.com/Convert-A-Ball-902B-Stainless-Steel-Standard/dp/B0000AY9HO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1394146988&sr=8-1&keywords=convertaball+hitch). It is a post that accepts balls of different sizes; I've got all of them 1 7/8", 2" and 2 5/16" to handle any of the trailers that I may tow. However, I don't tow with the DJ...I have a RAM 2500 HO CTD to use for my towing and I'm equipped for everything including goose neck, 5th wheel and pintle :) You can shop around (even on Amazon) and find the kit that just has the 1 7/8" and 2" balls...cheaper than buying the 3 ball kit and you definitely won't ever have a need for the 2 5/16" ball with the DJ! I doubt if you'll find a 2" trailer rated for being DJ towable either, but, the 2" ball would be cheap insurance against going to rent a trailer and finding a 2" coupler...

Thanks so much for the help!

Last question, what is the hitch height when installed on the DJ? Trying to figure out what size of drop/rise reciever to get. The Uhaul site says not to exceed the maximum hitch ball height of 25". How much drop or rise would the DJ need to accomadate that hitch ball height?

My 1998 Jayco pop-up has surge brakes. Like Webslave states, they are not very effective but I'm still glad they are there. We overhauled the brake system on the camper in 2012 - replaced the steel lines, adjusted the shoes, cleaned and lubed the coupler, repacked the wheel bearings, bled everything out - because they weren't working at all when I first got it (2010). I don't do much towing with it - once or twice a year - and we don't go very far, and our terrain is flat. It uses a 2" ball. Not sure what the height is, but here's a photo of the ball mount. Camper sits pretty level behind the Journey with this setup.

photo_zps75847bfd.jpg

Edited by Journeyman425

• 1 year later...

can anyone let me know?

Just inquiring on if I can tow this camping trailer.

2008 Starcraft Hi Wall Pop Up Camper

Dry Weight (lbs/kg) 2865
Payload Capacity (lbs/kgs) 636 / 288.5
GVWR (lbs/kgs) 3750
Hitch Weight (lbs/kgs) 325 / 147.4
Have a 2013 AWD Journey Crew.
If so can anyone recommend a hitch-wire harness for brakes and lights?
Thanks
George

In order to determine your rise or drop, you need to get your DJ level, and measure from the center of the square hitch hole to the ground. Then, you need to get your trailer level. I'm guessing that your trailer has a crank jack. Measure from the top of the inside of where the ball goes to the ground. The difference between these numbers will be your rise/drop.