Is it possible to add automatic headlights???

I purchased a 2014 DJ AWD SXT for my wife recently and it didn't have automatic headlights...which she pointed out. I was reading online on another Dodge forum and saw that it may be possible to add them with a new headlamp switch. I purchased one online for about 40 bucks and installed it, however when its switch to auto, it just turns on the headlights regardless of day/night. The car has a sensor on the dash just like my 2014 durango (with auto headlights) and I was wondering if anyone knew if it was possible for the dealer to flash a code to get these to work properly. Is this possible? I know that the auto lights are part of the Popular Equipment group package which we didn't get, but we do have the remote start, DRL option on radio (that doesn't work), alarm and heated front seats...

Thanks,

Welcome to the forum. The option probably has to be "turned on" at the dealer via a starscan tool. Probably cost you an hours labor to have it done. New vehicles these days usually come pre-wired for every option available, but not activated if the option is not part of the trim package. Basically they have to go in to the computer and "flip the switch" to turn the option on.

Edited by jkeaton

Jkeaton,

Thanks for the reply. I really appreciate the insight. I'm going in at some point in the next few weeks to get my remote start installed on my Durango and I'll check with them to see they can flip the switch for the Journey. I'll post his response and hopefully they know what I'm talking about. I would imagine so if they said that they could install the backup camera on the Journey and I'm pretty sure that will require some sort of computer adjustment too.

Thanks,

2late4u,

Are you serious??? They quoted me $595 for the backup camera part/installation. Does the journey come pre-wired for the camera? That was my original question to them and he wasn't even sure it was possible to install. He then came back to me in about a week saying yeah they can install it using the radio (because that wasn't obvious) for that price. Hmmmm....

go to leeparts.com then click on journey parts then typ in 82212533 in search box this is a mopar part. msrp price is $305.00 but his price is $262. plus shipping and tax and then my dealer charged $90. for install and code added to car if your dealer is charging more try a different dealer they all charge different amounts on labor and parts discounts... good luck my dealer charged me $220. for the cam but i get a retiree discount from chrysler but you should get it for about 370 to 400 for the parts and labor...

Edited by 2late4u

go to leeparts.com then click on journey parts then typ in 82212533 in search box this is a mopar part. msrp price is $305.00 but his price is $262. plus shipping and tax and then my dealer charged $90. for install and code added to car if your dealer is charging more try a different dealer they all charge different amounts on labor and parts discounts... good luck my dealer charged me $220. for the cam but i get a retiree discount from chrysler but you should get it for about 370 to 400 for the parts and labor...

Anyone know if this camera with work with the Canadian value package 2014? Being that the LCD screen is smaller

http://www.leeparts.com/dodge_journey/accessories/electrical/production_back_up_camera_system.html

• 3 years later...
On 3/3/2014 at 6:51 AM, jkeaton said:

Welcome to the forum. The option probably has to be "turned on" at the dealer via a starscan tool. Probably cost you an hours labor to have it done. New vehicles these days usually come pre-wired for every option available, but not activated if the option is not part of the trim package. Basically they have to go in to the computer and "flip the switch" to turn the option on.

JKeaton:

I recently purchased a 2015 Dodge Journey. After getting pulled over for not having my head lights on, I searched the net and found this forum. After reading your response, I called my dealer and asked if they could activate the auto head light option via the starscan tool. Needless to say, they thought I had lost it. Never heard of it, was their response. So, not to be one to give up, I called the 800 number for Chrysler in my manual. Apparently, their C/S dept just uses the manual to answer customer questions. No help there. I asked her if there was a technical support department. Nope, nothing there either. I agree with you that most likely it's a matter of turning on "something". The knob to turn the lights on is just missing the word "auto" and it would be the same. I imagine if they turned on the option they would just replace the knob to include one that had the word "auto" to the far left.

Is there something else I might be able to do? I would appreciate any help. My old car had the auto lights and I'm have difficulties remembering to turn them on. Turning off gives me a little jingle!

Thanks,

Mary

5 hours ago, Mary said:

JKeaton:

I recently purchased a 2015 Dodge Journey. After getting pulled over for not having my head lights on, I searched the net and found this forum. After reading your response, I called my dealer and asked if they could activate the auto head light option via the starscan tool. Needless to say, they thought I had lost it. Never heard of it, was their response. So, not to be one to give up, I called the 800 number for Chrysler in my manual. Apparently, their C/S dept just uses the manual to answer customer questions. No help there. I asked her if there was a technical support department. Nope, nothing there either. I agree with you that most likely it's a matter of turning on "something". The knob to turn the lights on is just missing the word "auto" and it would be the same. I imagine if they turned on the option they would just replace the knob to include one that had the word "auto" to the far left.

Is there something else I might be able to do? I would appreciate any help. My old car had the auto lights and I'm have difficulties remembering to turn them on. Turning off gives me a little jingle!

Thanks,

Mary

While there is no technical barrier to installing automatic headlights it requires the appropriate switch and replacement of the ambient sensor (assuming you have one at all - the sensor is the little ball thing peeking through the dash up front in the middle) with one that has a photocell.  There *may* be a wire required to carry the signal from that photocell and then you'd need to have the dealer enable the sales code.

What can't presently be done is to activate Daytime Running Lights, which is a damned shame.

On 2014-03-04 at 10:47 PM, cskmom said:

Anyone know if this camera with work with the Canadian value package 2014? Being that the LCD screen is smaller

http://www.leeparts.com/dodge_journey/accessories/electrical/production_back_up_camera_system.html

I doubt it, you have the small screen. Only works with 8.4 or 8.4N.

On 5/11/2017 at 2:41 PM, Mary said:

I'm working on that. ;)

And thanks to all who replied.

as previously mentioned you need the light sensor, auto headlight switch, and the sales code added.  the only way is for your service advisor to open a star case and have dodge add the sales code. then they have to reflash your computer.  most dealers wont take the time to do all that.

• 3 months later...
On March 3, 2014 at 10:48 PM, decoyboogie said:

2late4u,

Are you serious??? They quoted me $595 for the backup camera part/installation. Does the journey come pre-wired for the camera? That was my original question to them and he wasn't even sure it was possible to install. He then came back to me in about a week saying yeah they can install it using the radio (because that wasn't obvious) for that price. Hmmmm....

I just got a quote for $800.00 at the Norwalk, CT dealer where I bought the car for my 2016 crossroads. Stroking me big time.

i went the website he is charging 332.50 now plus your install or do it yourself and let the dealer flash your journey to activate it. part #822125533ab or just click on the journey pic and scroll down to the back up cam. have no idea if they are prewired but there has been a discussion on here that it is, but some say they can't find the wires. car manufactures are always looking for the cheapest way to build the car so i would say no it's not pre wired for it.and i use to work for chrysler and they look to save a fraction of a cent due to large volume it addas up.... good luck

• 1 year later...
10 hours ago, Biker414 said:

Hello @decoyboogie I was wondering if you ever follow up on the Automatic  light switch. I was wondering about doing the same thing; changing the , switch, but I imagine is not that simple. Did you ever go it to work or is your wife making fun of you? 

Please keep us posted, thanks! 

well he said that by changing the switch did make them come on and go automatically all the time which shouldn't be a big deal it would just burn the bulbs out a little sooner than normal,if you didnt want to spend the money on adding the ambient senser  as needed. with them on full time would just be an added safety feature i guess.

@Biker414 Glad to see this post is still alive...ultimately I traded in the car.  Mystery unsolved for me, and I appreciate all the follow up. But I still believe that you can get your cpu flashed if you’ve installed the switch and already have a sensors installed.

Edited by decoyboogie