Dodge journey crd rt 2litre diesel

Hi again I got my car back from the garage as I sent it back because if I stopped at the lights and pressed the brake pedal I could ease it to the floor . The pedal seems not to want to hold pressure .

Anyway I have a engineer report saying they have tested the brake system and there are no leaks or folts found .

The car on the road drives fine and brakes feel fine but if your sat in traffic and hold your foot on the pedal and apply a little bit of pressure the pedal just keeps going down till it hits the floor .

I took it to a local mot station and there saying its not normal and if I tested the car there it wouldn't pass .

My wife and 3 year old son use the car and I'm worried .

I purchased the car from a Hyundai main dealer as they took the car in px and there the ones doing the work and I have sent it back 3 times now . I'm lost at what I can do as not many if any dodge garages near me I did call one up and chatted to service department and again guy said it should do it .

Could any of you other dodge journey crd 2 litre diesel / manual owners start you can up on drive press your brakes and see if pedal holds pressure or if it will ease to the floor until it touches it .

My other cars have never done this and I need to know its normal and safe because I don't want my wife/son driving it if not

Thanks

It is not normal. If it won't hold pressure, it won't stop your car. Very serious safety issue.

Usually, a leak of some kind causes this. If they examined the vehicle and no external leaks are found in any of the break lines or calipers, then my guess is an internal leak in the master cylinder. If the internal seals are compromised, fluid will leak past them and cause the pedal to drop to the floor. Pumping brings it back, but as soon as you press down firm, it will just repeat. Since the leak is internal inside the master cylinder, there will not be any external sign of fluid, so may not be obvious. Modern cars are very sensitive to the type of fluids we put in them, so if the wrong type of brake fluid was used, it could certainly cause this issue. It may have deteriorated the seals to the point they don't hold the pressure.

Here is a cutaway of a master cylinder:

brake_basic_hydraulics_master_cylinder_c

The brake pedal is the large arrow on the right. When it is pressed, it forces fluid out of the outlet hole, through the brake lines and into the caliper applying pressure to the brake pads. If the seal is not holding that pressure, the fluid leaks past the seal into the area where the piston is, and the transfer of fluid allows the pedal to drop. No visible leak will be detected due to the fact the fluid is still inside.

My recommendation is to have a third party examine the vehicle, change the master cylinder if necessary, then take the bill to the Hyundai dealer for compensation. You have given them ample opportunity to resolve the issue without satisfactory results. Do you have small claims courts in your country? Usually the threat of litigation will cause a company to pay up.