Hi this is my first post . Please help

Hi everyone I have just got my dodge journey rt on a 2010 plate . Its 1 owner 23000 miles .

Its a long story but the ? I need to know is I have a 2 litre crd model its a manual and if I sit at the lights with my foot on the brake pedal is it normal for the brake pedal to move down until it touches the floor ? I have been back to the trader I got it from and they keep telling me its normal but no other car I have done has done this .

Thanks

Does not sound right to me. Any vehicle should not gradually go to the floor when holding the brake pedal. Sounds to me you may have a leaking master cylinder. Take it back and demand it be repaired. All else aside, it is a safety concern. What would happen in the case of an emergency stop? Will it hold pressure long enough to stop you or will it leak down more rapidly leaving you with no brakes.

Welcome to the forum. NO that is not normal. That is indicative of a fluid leak or air in the system, First inspect each wheel for fluid leaks, then the master cylinder and all brake lines. Check the level of the fluid. If no leaks and the level is fine, the brakes need to be bled. Oh, and do not ever take your car back to the place that told you it is normal for a brake pedal to go all the way to the floor. Next they will be telling you that your blinker fluid needs to be changed.

The above is spot on, but, I'll also add that if the wrong type of brake fluid was added to the master cylinder that it is also possible that the master cylinder's piston seals have deteriorated due to the wrong type of fluid eating the seals away. While you have your foot on the brake pedal, the seals are supposed to push the fluid out to the calipers. If the seals are rotting away, they allow the fluid to leak past them allowing the pedal to slowly go to the floor.

One more reason to make absolutely sure, before adding fluids to your car, that you make certain that it is the proper # (DOT 1,2,3,4, etc) or viscosity (less important for engine, but, critical for differentials and on some engines, the MSD Hemi's for instance, engine oil can also be fairly critical) and type (for transmissions and coolant). Since you probably haven't added fluids to the car since getting it, it is possible that the previous owner or the car shop where you bought it topped up the master cylinder with whatever was handy thinking that the problem wouldn't be noticeable for a while... Newer cars are far less forgiving for using the wrong fluids; entire systems are designed around certain chemistries and any change from the design specs can wreck the whole system.

Thanks so much !

I knew it wasn't me . I will tell you the full story now .

I picked my car up 3 weeks ago I test drove it the week before and it seemed fine . Anyway on the day I collected it from the garage I drove it home and I could feel that the car felt like it was being held back . The further I went the worse it became and my house was8 miles away from the garage by time I got close to home I was fighting the car and could smell my brakes burning it was night time and when I got back the disk was glowing orange .

I was so stressed out I called the garage and told them they needed to collect the car etc in the end I had a hire car 4 days and they replaced the disks/ callipers and brake fluid .

I have had the car back for over 300 miles and all seemed ok but yesterday my wife said the pedal felt like it had air in . While driving the car it seems ok but she sat in traffic resting her foot on brake pedal in natural and the pedal stops like any other car and takes the pressure but once you feel pedal take the pressure the pedal will move slowly down while you apply pressure until it touches the floor then you have to pump the pedal a few times till brakes are at top of pedal but once moving the car brakes normal.

Yesterday I had morning off and went to the garage after there top guy drove the car he came to assure me that it was all part and parcel of driving a diesel car and he said by holding my foot on the brakes I had exhausted the system . Anyway not knowing alot about cars I excepted his word but on the way home called my dads friend who owns a mot station and he said he would fail the car as the pedal can't take a constant pressure .

So later that day I called back and said I wasn't happy with the car and today I took it back at 8 am and at 6 pm they delivered the car back cleaned it for me and have sent a report saying bleed system / checked for leaks / no leaks found and the balance and pressure seems fine etc .

I own a transit diesel van / fiat doblo van both diesel and don't have this brake pedal problem . Also I have phoned my friends with other cars and they don't and thank you for your reply cus it seems other dodge journey owners don't either .

The car has to be perfect as my wife and 3 year old son use the car I have lost faith in the main dealer which was a Hyundai garage who took car in px . I thought it was me maybe having a problem but now I am going to resolve the problem and not allow my son or wife in the car until I can get someone to agree I'm not going mad .

Thanks so much guys . What's upsetting is car is amazing I love the thing but I think I have had one of the worsed starts to owning a dodge journey .

Will post the outcome on this thread .

Thanks for helping me and my family ! :)