New cause for Service AWD light, ABS and traction control light to come on

Canadian Paul

Very recently, all three came on again on the way home. I thought it would be the typical wheel speed sensor thing and I gave it some time to hopefully dry up and clear out. When the lights wouldn't go away, I brought it into my indy mechanic. He scanned the computer and found out that not enough power was being sent from the battery to the one sensor (driver's side rear). He followed the wire and found that the wire bundle that comes through the floor rubbed up against the actual opening and over time, broke. He repaired it but before he began, he called up the local Chrysler dealer if they ever encountered something like this and they initially said no. But when he finished the job, they called back and said that it does happen. So everyone be aware of this predicament and solution.

• Official Dodge Support

Very recently, all three came on again on the way home. I thought it would be the typical wheel speed sensor thing and I gave it some time to hopefully dry up and clear out. When the lights wouldn't go away, I brought it into my indy mechanic. He scanned the computer and found out that not enough power was being sent from the battery to the one sensor (driver's side rear). He followed the wire and found that the wire bundle that comes through the floor rubbed up against the actual opening and over time, broke. He repaired it but before he began, he called up the local Chrysler dealer if they ever encountered something like this and they initially said no. But when he finished the job, they called back and said that it does happen. So everyone be aware of this predicament and solution.

Canadian Paul,

Welcome to the forum!!!

Great information for other members, I've taken a look to see if I could identify other common cases but didn't come up with anything.

Looking at the diagram though, I can see how this is possible. Unlikely but possible.

Thanks for sharing, great info. and might save someone a big headache down the road.

Feel free to PM me anytime if you need any help.

• 6 months later...

So I also have ran into the same issues, actually many issues with my journey, most recently the AWD, ESP BAS, traction control and ABS lights have come on, at first it would come on and go off very intermittently now they are on all the time, when they were intermittent the dealer plugged it in and there were no codes for this issue, has anyone experienced the same problem?

• Official Dodge Support

So I also have ran into the same issues, actually many issues with my journey, most recently the AWD, ESP BAS, traction control and ABS lights have come on, at first it would come on and go off very intermittently now they are on all the time, when they were intermittent the dealer plugged it in and there were no codes for this issue, has anyone experienced the same problem?

brandier,

Welcome to the forum.

Sorry to hear you're having these issues... Now that the MILs are on all the time, have you had the opportunity to visit your dealer to have the vehicle scanned?

Intermittent issues can be difficult to identify however it may be much easier now.

Could be a bad sensor tripping the lights.

Please keep us posted if you have a chance to get to your dealer for an inspection.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
1 hour ago, Pinehurst Dodge said:

I have 40,000 miles on my 2013 Dodge Journey and a host of ABS, traction control, and low air pressure lights. This is really aggravating. Any idea of what might be causing this and how much to have it repaired 

Thanks for any ideas and response 

Dealer can help. 

• 1 month later...

My 2014 Journey has this issue. The ABS, Traction Control, and Service AWD lights are on. I also know I have a wheel hub going bad and is the likely cause. I will be replacing the hub and sensor tomorrow. However, I wanted to know if anyone else has had wheel hub issues on their Journey. This is the third wheel hub. The original went at 40K miles. The replacement lasted for for another 30 and it went bad. I know the reason that one went bad, because I was given the incorrect torque. The third one I put on I was given the correct torque (I looked at the screen myself to verify) and I now have 130K miles on the vehicle with ANOTHER bad hub. It's the exact same one, the right side rear. Any thoughts?

On 4/21/2017 at 6:30 PM, 2late4u said:

what kind of parts used mopar,or part store brand? since it is the same one i would assume something else is putting extra stress on it, keep us informed.

I used a part store brand. I believe I have discovered the problem. I kept getting information about the torque for the axle nut. I was given the torque rating for the front, not the rear. I replaced the hub today and now my ABS, Traction Control, and Service AWD lights are off. Problem fixed.

• 1 year later...

Hi everyone I'm new. I live in NC and recently within the last week, had these lights come on, I'm happy they weren't on when I had my state inspection, I would've failed. I had 3 tires replaced and 1 where the tread is still great. The day these lights came on was the day I went to get my 3rd tire, I couldn't afford all 3 at once, but when I got paid about a week later I got the new one. We've had bad weather here and the day after 1 storm was when 2 lights came on. Then soon after the service AWD light came on. So traction control, AWD, ABS lights.  They've been off only about twice. I have noticed recently that when I tried to lightly put my foot on the gas to get out of Wal-Mart's parking lot, it was having issues like I couldn't get moving quick enough, I was in the single digits before I pulled into an empty space and shut everything off and waited. I sat in my Journey for 5 minutes or so with 3 kids in the humidity because I didn't and still don't know wtheck is going on. It was fine after I turned it back on. The next day I had to go out again and I discovered the tire pressure was crazy high for 2 in the front(39psi) and the back 2 were either 38 or 37 psi. I made all 4 tires the same pressure and the lights came off. Now they are on. I'm worried because I have 3 kids and being a single mom I don't know how much it will cost to fix and how long it would take to fix it. Around here places take advantage of women and rip them off. So I'm on my own either way. I don't know if I should take it to a Dodge Dealership or to a chain store type business that deals in mechanics. I don't even know if they'd even just check it without me having to pay. I know someone who has a really nice code reader and no codes came up. Any advice would be appreciated. I live in a somewhat rural area and have to travel for my kid's appointments and football. I've never experienced this in my other Dodge and new tires, but this SXT hadn't had new tires and it was time.  Any advice would be appreciated. It stormed so bad on a late drive home (my 1 son has DS and he was sick so we left urgent care at 1020pm our appt was for 830pm) that I was so worried because most of the roads were black top. Thank you in advance

20180810_164506.jpg

20180810_164334.jpg

1 minute ago, larryl said:

I believe the AWD system requires all 4 tires to be replaced at the same time because they all have to be the same spec wise or people have experienced  the issues you are having

They are the same brand size etc. So what's the recommendation or advice that's not going to cut a chunk out of my already tight budget

11 hours ago, SoSassy84 said:

They are the same brand size etc. So what's the recommendation or advice that's not going to cut a chunk out of my already tight budget

If all 4 tires are now new and the same size, perhaps disconnecting the battery for a bit will reset everything. Otherwise, it takes a special scan tool to read the codes causing those lights which means a dealer trip unless you know someone who has such a tool. Good luck and be sure to post back what you find. 

It's probably just a sensor, traction control needs the ABS sensor to fonction properly so if one of your ABS sensor is bad that's why you have both lights ON. As all said, you need an OBD II reader to know which one failed or what is the cause for the lights to be on. With the codes it will be easier to know what to do, changing ABS sensor is pretty easy if that's your problem and the sensor itself is not expensive. But again you need to at least get someone to the read the codes. I wouldn't go the the dealer just for reading codes but that's just me .... I bought on eBay and OBD II reader that plug's in a computer (replicate one of the old version) for 5 bucks, it's not genuine but it's work as intended on the dodge Journey mine is a 2011. Be prepared cause DJ may cost you some money to own. It's a nice car but you need to do some yourself.

11 hours ago, larryl said:

Sorry dont know what to tell you....

It takes money to own and operate a vehicle and they are a very complex and need diagnosis from people who know what they are doing.

Maybe someone on here knows more...good luck

I never said I didn't have the money. I don't have the money to get ripped off, large army base, it happens.