Camshaft position sensor

henry1088

Had the code pulled and came up with a P0340 Camshaft position sensor.

Where is the sensor located on a 3.6 Pentastar? I love how Dodge has yet to release a repair manual for this piece of crap.

Wow, that comment is sure to get a lot of help from Journey lovers!

08 - Electrical / 8I - Ignition Control / SENSOR, Camshaft Position/Removal 3.6L
collapse.gif Labor Operations: Click to display a list of Labor Operations associated with this procedure
Primary
LOP Related
LOP Description Skill Level Skill Category 081579P2 - Sensor, Cam position 3.6 Liter engine Right side 2 - Skilled 8 081579P3 - Sensor, Cam position 3.6 Liter engine- Left side 2 - Skilled 8 08157910 - Sensor, Cam position All other engines 2 - Skilled 8

GUID-08-064-004-2715130.jpg
CAUTION:

The magnetic timing wheels (1) must not come in contact with magnets (pickup tools, trays, etc.) or any other strong magnetic field. This will destroy the timing wheels ability to correctly relay camshaft position to the camshaft position sensor.

GUID-08-064-031-2712055.jpg

The Camshaft Position (CMP) sensors are located at the rear of the cylinder head covers and are bolted to the cylinder head.

1. Disconnect and isolate the negative battery cable.
  2. Remove the air cleaner body (Refer to 09 - Engine/Air Intake System/BODY, Air Cleaner - Removal) .

3. If removing the LH CMP sensor, first remove the upper intake manifold (2) (Refer to 09 - Engine/Manifolds/MANIFOLD, Intake - Removal) .

GUID-08-064-004-2726289.jpg

NOTE:

The RH CMP sensor is shown, the LH CMP sensor is similar. If removing both RH and LH CMP sensors, mark the sensors so they can be installed in their original locations.

4. Disconnect the electrical connector (1) from the CMP sensor.

5. Loosen the sensor mounting bolt (2).

GUID-08-064-004-2735003.jpg

6. Pull the sensor and mounting bolt from the cylinder head cover.

7. The O-ring seal (1) can be reused if not damaged.

i would assume this repair would be covered under the 5yr 100k powertrain warrenty, not sure but worth asking about...

Cam sensor is 3/36. Here's a list of covered engine components:

E. Parts Covered

The Powertrain Limited Warranty covers

these parts and components of your vehicle's

powertrain supplied by Chrysler Group LLC:

Gasoline Engine:

cylinder block and all internal

parts; cylinder head assemblies; timing case, timing

chain, timing belt, gears and sprockets; vibration

damper; oil pump; water pump and housing; intake and

exhaust manifolds; flywheel with starter ring gear; core

plugs; valve covers; oil pan; turbocharger housing and

internal parts; turbocharger wastegate actuator;

supercharger; serpentine belt tensioner; seals and

gaskets for listed components only.

I have yet to see a cam sensor go bad in a 3.6. Doesn't mean it can't happen but the code should be diagnosed (if it hasn't been already) rather than just replacing the part on a guess.

I guess I wouldn't be so bitter had this not have been the worst model car I've ever owned. This is my second Journey in 5 years, had this one for 3 putting 49000 miles on it and between the two they have been broke more than any other vehicle I've ever owned, combined.

In a different note, after the code was cleared my wife said the car had no power. Today I pushed on the four plugs on the front of the timing covers to make sure they were all seated. Have driven about 50 miles so far with no issue. Just another gremlin in my car.

• 1 year later...

More than likely an electrical issue with a connector . . . the result of corrosion . . . . your location says New York - salty roads in the wintertime will do that, especialy if you park indoors.

I have had all my vehicles purchased since about 1987 rustproofed by a reputable company. Both my Journeys were rustproofed.

By way of example I kept an LHS for 13 years, drove it every day and it parked indoors at both ends of my commute and never had any electrical issues - also rustproofed. My brother bought an LHS the same time I did. Parked outdoors (which is better for the vehicle, from the perspective of winter corrosion) and he started having issues after 3 years and the car was sold after 5 because it was causing too much trouble for him.

Edited by bramfrank

• 2 years later...

If someone could help me with this topic. I'm getting the same error P0340, says bank1.

I don't know which one is bank 1. Please if someone has that information would be of great help.

Thank you so much.

Also, if there's a repair manual please tell me where to buy/download it.

1 hour ago, Lucas said:

If someone could help me with this topic. I'm getting the same error P0340, says bank1.

I don't know which one is bank 1. Please if someone has that information would be of great help.

Thank you so much.

Also, if there's a repair manual please tell me where to buy/download it.

https://www.google.com/search?q=what is bank 1 and bank 2&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1#imgrc=sbRHYu4JNGgttM:

• 1 year later...
On 2/20/2014 at 9:59 PM, Journeyman425 said:

08 - Electrical / 8I - Ignition Control / SENSOR, Camshaft Position/Removal 3.6L
collapse.gif Labor Operations: Click to display a list of Labor Operations associated with this procedure
Primary
LOP Related
LOP Description Skill Level Skill Category 081579P2 - Sensor, Cam position 3.6 Liter engine Right side 2 - Skilled 8 081579P3 - Sensor, Cam position 3.6 Liter engine- Left side 2 - Skilled 8 08157910 - Sensor, Cam position All other engines 2 - Skilled 8

GUID-08-064-004-2715130.jpg
CAUTION:

The magnetic timing wheels (1) must not come in contact with magnets (pickup tools, trays, etc.) or any other strong magnetic field. This will destroy the timing wheels ability to correctly relay camshaft position to the camshaft position sensor.

GUID-08-064-031-2712055.jpg

The Camshaft Position (CMP) sensors are located at the rear of the cylinder head covers and are bolted to the cylinder head.

1. Disconnect and isolate the negative battery cable.
  3. Remove the air cleaner body (Refer to 09 - Engine/Air Intake System/BODY, Air Cleaner - Removal) .
  5. If removing the LH CMP sensor, first remove the upper intake manifold (2) (Refer to 09 - Engine/Manifolds/MANIFOLD, Intake - Removal) .

GUID-08-064-004-2726289.jpg

NOTE:

The RH CMP sensor is shown, the LH CMP sensor is similar. If removing both RH and LH CMP sensors, mark the sensors so they can be installed in their original locations.

7. Disconnect the electrical connector (1) from the CMP sensor.
  9. Loosen the sensor mounting bolt (2).

GUID-08-064-004-2735003.jpg
  11. Pull the sensor and mounting bolt from the cylinder head cover.
  13. The O-ring seal (1) can be reused if not damaged.

7 hours ago, Amarie91 said:

Unfortunately that diagram shows v8 engines. This is a 3.5 l v6. The location of the camshaft sensor circuit A bank 1 is now where to be seen