Changing to a "normal" ignition?

Why do you need another key and FOB? You can get them much, much cheaper on ebay and elsewhere. Probably more trouble and cost than it's worth to convert to a regular key.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-UNCUT-CHRYSLER-DODGE-REPLACEMENT-FOBIK-SMART-KEY-FOB-KEYLESS-ENTRY-REMOTE-/221350214645?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A2010

Edited by jkeaton

I saw them but you take the chance it doesn't work. But 60 is better than 300+ I guess I am just old school!!

I've bought several remotes off ebay for different vehicles. Never had a problem. You will have to get the dealer to get it to work though. It's not like the older vehicles where you could jump a couple of pins on a connector somewhere to program it. They have to use the starscan tool. Dealer charged me $50 to program the remote for my Sebring. I never use the dealer for parts if I can avoid it.

You will have to get the dealer to get it to work though. It's not like the older vehicles where you could jump a couple of pins on a connector somewhere to program it. They have to use the starscan tool.

No you don't. As long as you have atleast 2 working key fobs, you can program it yourself.

They usually send instructions on how to do it.

Just make sure the seller on eBay sends them.

No you don't. As long as you have atleast 2 working key fobs, you can program it yourself.

They usually send instructions on how to do it.

Just make sure the seller on eBay sends them.

Ah, yes, you are absolutely correct. I forgot about that. I just had the one.

I guess I am just old school!!

Even the traditional key has a transceiver nowadays (meant as the last 20 or 30 years), not to mention the remote control to lock/unlock the doors so:

1. it will have the same possible problems as the keyless one (i.e. a faulty detection will prevent the engine from starting) with none of the advantages.
  2. they will charge you a similar amount (which has no relation to the real value of the fob).

Sorry, there's no escape, unless you drive a car designed and built in the '70.

Edited by Lebowski

• 3 months later...

Why do you need another key and FOB? You can get them much, much cheaper on ebay and elsewhere.

Are all Dodge Journeys keyed the same then? I have two fob's that work fine, but only one of the emergency keys inside them work, the other will not unlock the door.

Are you saying that if I got myself another fob (or perhaps just the key), that the key will be the same for my Journey?

An additional question.. Are vehicles in general keyed the same/similar? For example, would someone else with a 1991 Toyota Tercel be able to unlock my Tercel? Or is it just newer vehicles that perhaps are keyed the same because you need the correct data part on the key anyways?

Are all Dodge Journeys keyed the same then? I have two fob's that work fine, but only one of the emergency keys inside them work, the other will not unlock the door.

Are you saying that if I got myself another fob (or perhaps just the key), that the key will be the same for my Journey?

An additional question.. Are vehicles in general keyed the same/similar? For example, would someone else with a 1991 Toyota Tercel be able to unlock my Tercel? Or is it just newer vehicles that perhaps are keyed the same because you need the correct data part on the key anyways?

Hmmm.....You can't possibly think your keys will open someone else' 1991 Tercel do ya? The part of the explanation above you are missing, is that part that says...."the owner needs to have 2 fobs, and the new fob will have to be programmed