Install roof rack after purchase???

davidlb512

My Journey doesn't have the factory roof rack. I was wondering if anyone has had the roof rails installed after purchasing their Journey? How much did it run you, what was the time for completion, was it done at the dealer, or private shop, and how's the quality of the results?

My 2011 R/T did not come with a roof rails either. My rack installation was done by a private shop, but was set up by the dealer. The rails are screwed directly into the roof of my DJ. If I remember right, the cost was $400 and it was completed in less than a day. I have been very happy with my roof rails. I would definitely recommend roof rails if you plan on adding roof racks for bicycles, cargo, etc. I attempted to put on yakima racks without the roof rails. Even though yakima sells a setup for installing a rack without the roof rails, it is not secure at all, IMO. Good Luck.

Peace.

• 1 month later...

Does it not have any rails at all or just missing the crossbars? Mine has the side rails but no cross bars which does not make sense. Why would they give you one without the other? Kinda useless without the cross bars.

I had this issue. Neither of my journeys came with cross rails. I was given a set for christmas after we got the silver one and they work OK but I am not keen on how they attached (the threaded bolts that went through the tension lock thing we're really close to the paint).

Oddly, when I was ordering the new Cherokee I asked about them because I couldn't find them in the brochure. Sure enough, there is no way to factory order the new 2014 Cherokee with cross rails. Side rails aren't an issue and are standard on most models, but no cross rails anywheres. :\

Edited by zmttoxics

You can get them, but they are expensive....I mean, come on, almost $200 for a couple pieces of aluminum??

http://www.ebay.com/itm/St-Aluminum-Adjustable-Roof-Rail-Rack-Cross-Bars-For-Dodge-Journey-07-14-07-08-/171148058602?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3ADodge

Edited by jkeaton

Wow, look at the price in that eBay auction!! And I'd be shocked if they were OEM, since they come from China.

I paid $75 for a brand new set of OEM crossbars for my DJ on eBay. That included shipping. Here's another eBay auction for a real set of bars at a much better price: http://www.ebay.com/itm/DODGE-5178271AC-GENUINE-OEM-FACTORY-ORIGINAL-CROSS-RAIL-/161205525199?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3AJourney&hash=item2588991acf&vxp=mtr

And there is no way that the bars' attachments come anywhere near the paint on my vehicle - so the obvious question I would ask is whether ZMTTOXICS actually got OEM crossbars or something aftermarket?

index.jpg

Edited by bramfrank

Wow, look at the price in that eBay auction!! And I'd be shocked if they were OEM, since they come from China.

I paid $75 for a brand new set of OEM crossbars for my DJ on eBay. That included shipping. Here's another eBay auction for a real set of bars at a much better price: http://www.ebay.com/itm/DODGE-5178271AC-GENUINE-OEM-FACTORY-ORIGINAL-CROSS-RAIL-/161205525199?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3AJourney&hash=item2588991acf&vxp=mtr

And there is no way that the bars' attachments come anywhere near the paint on my vehicle - so the obvious question I would ask is whether ZMTTOXICS actually got OEM crossbars or something aftermarket?

index.jpg

That auction is just for one cross bar....The description specifically states the auction is for item #2, which is the rear crossbar. #1 is the front crossbar. I was about ready to jump on it if it were for both. Do you have a link for the ones you got for $75?

Edited by jkeaton

Write them or call and ask. I suspect that they mean 2 of item #2, since the price is close to (though higher than) what I paid - Chrysler sells them in pairs.

There is another set on eBay now at $125.

The link for mine isn't on eBay any more, but I just looked the purchase up; the vendor was car.nations2012 and I stand corrected in that I paid $79.99 shipped. I checked, but they don't have anything on offer right now.

Edited by bramfrank

Write them or call and ask. I suspect that they mean 2 of item #2, since the price is close to (though higher than) what I paid - Chrysler sells them in pairs.

There is another set on eBay now at $125.

The link for mine isn't on eBay any more, but I just looked the purchase up; the vendor was car.nations2012 and I stand corrected in that I paid $79.99 shipped. I checked, but they don't have anything on offer right now.

Response from the seller:

"That is correct, just a single crossbar.

Thank you,

Bret

- larsonparts"

Oh well, you have to wonder what they did with the other bar . . . .There is a sale on now for a pair at $128 including shipping . . . or you can just queue up a search and hope that someone lists a set for less and eBay will let you know when something comes on line.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/09-13-Dodge-Journey-Roof-Rack-Cross-Rail-Mopar-OEM-/400593644302?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3AJourney&hash=item5d453deb0e&vxp=mtr

I have never had an issue with my Yakima cross rails. They have transfered from 3 different vehicles. They go on mid April and come off just before the first snow. I hate cleaning the roof with cross rails on. Thule or Yakima make great products. I like how the Thule's mount but all my accessories fit on the Yakima better.

I have never had an issue with my Yakima cross rails. They have transfered from 3 different vehicles. They go on mid April and come off just before the first snow. I hate cleaning the roof with cross rails on. Thule or Yakima make great products. I like how the Thule's mount but all my accessories fit on the Yakima better.

Do you have any pics of the mounts, what they look like, how they install?