Did you buy off the lot or order from the factory?

I noticed some comments regarding purchasing vehcicles that sat on the lot for months that had various problems. I'm just curious how many Journey owners ordered from the factory or from dealer lots and what their experience has been. We ordered ours directly from the factory. We had to get the radio and GPS unit changed and bad weatherstrip on three of the windows replaced, but so far nothing mechanical in 32,000 km's. I'm wondering if extended storage on the back lot is contributing to some of the complaints. Care to share your opinion?

Edited by rolly

Great poll Rolly.

We purchased in June off the lot but I know it didn't sit because the assembly date was May so we got a fresh one :) No issues at all so far -fingers crossed.

I can certainly see transportation / lot time and weather being a factor in some exterior issues but not sure anyone could prove such???

Ordered ours from the factory. 8400 miles and no trouble at all to date. The last couple of Journeys that we sold did not sit for very long on the lot and they have not been back for anything other than routine maintenance. Come to think of it, most of the Journeys we have sold since 2011 have been nearly trouble-free with the exception of the first 2011. That one was an early 2011 Lux and it had a faulty exhaust cam phaser which was an issue with the first 3.6's - but we didn't know it yet and it took a couple of trips back to my shop to figure it out.

The most common problem I see with vehicles that sit on our lot for an extended period of time is warped brake rotors. Yes, they do indeed warp just sitting there! Not just Journeys, either.

Mine, brought off the lot last august2012.. Built date was april. So it was sitting on the lot for more than 4 months. Went dead and has to be towed on its 1500kms! Replaced battery,, fixed!! At 4000kms had to replace cruise control.. No issue since then! Im having 7050kms now. Hope nothing will go wrong forever!! :-). I love my journey!

Edited by Chris1276

Bought my Journey almost a year ago today. Build date was August. No problems with it so far.

But, my wifes T&C was purchased April of this year and it was on the lot for a long time. It was built in August. I knew of some of the issues during the transaction but some things I didn't find out til later. Warped rotors, floor mats missing, DVD remote and headphones were missing, flashlight at the back door was missing, and the worst of all I found some body damage after washing it. Yup, looked like someone side swiped a pole or something. But I must admit the dealer handled everything and after 6 months I had everything taken care of and its a really great van now. Because of some of these things I was able to buy a T&C for what a base Grand Caravan base model would have cost.

So now after all that I can say it was worth it. :)

But more importantly I learned to inspect everything as close as possible when buying a car that's been sitting on the lot for awhile

I think the last car that I "bought of the lot" was a 1974 Toyota Corolla SR-5... For what cars cost nowadays, I want them configured the way I like and in the color I like. Most "off the lot" cars, while still nice, have an item or two that I don't want in lieu of items that I do want, or are missing items that I really want or a color that it is ok, but, again, not the color that I really want.

For instance, the last three vehicles that I've ordered have been "loaded to the hilt" except for the back seat DVD. We don't have small children and don't see any need for it, but, most "loaded to the hilt" vehicles will have it and we've gotten the colors that we like.

We ordered our Journey in late October of '12 (actually 10/29) and a November build and a December delivery (all of '12). Nearly 12,000 miles on it now and other than the DRL tribulation and the lack of the compass (see threads on this forum) in the EVIC, haven't had any issues. Fuel mileage kept getting better until after around 5K miles and has stabilized to ~23.2 mpg in our country driving and the newer, larger brakes are still going strong with no issues. Some nit-picky design issues, but, over all a great vehicle.

Don't know the build date. But the Journey was parked inside the showroom for many months. Only issue at delivery was warped rotors. Dealer replaced them and so far so good.

Build dates are on the VIN decal on the rear of the drivers door jamb.

Factory ordered my 2012 Journey in Jan Feb 2012, build didn't happen until May 2012, delivery June 2012.

Various problems, all minor: car battery went dead after 2 months, no problems with it since.

outside temperature sensor replaced-was reading 15 degrees below actual outside temp. no problems since sensor replaced

Radio/navigation problems - replaced numerous times- still waiting for latest "fix"

Droning noise when hitting 60km under mild acceleration - no fix- still really the only annoying thing that hasn't been followed up on by the service department.

Other then those minor things, the more important items concerning the mechanicals, brakes, fit and finish is superb. Would I buy another Journey, heck yes.

I bought my 2014 Limited off lot. It had been ordered for a customer who didn't like it when it came in! It was like in limbo. It wasn't on dealers inventory because it was a customer car, so they wanted to get it sold. I was looking to trade my 2011 200 Ltd, so it didn't sit very long

I know a lot of people that do that, the buy used to avoid the depreciation, thing. I prefer new; new car smell, no body else's dirt or covered up damage and the depreciation doesn't usually cost me too dearly because I keep my cars 15-20 years and spread over that kind of time frame the depreciation is so small vs. the advantages (to me) of being "new" that I gladly eat the depreciation. In fact two of my cars, a 1976 Eldorado convertable, and my 1989 Lebaron Custom are well past the 20 year mark :lol:

Edited by webslave

The Journey is only my third new car. I know what you mean about depreciation but, like Webslave, I keep my car for an indefinite period of time. My first new car was a 1988 Mazda 323 GT that I had for over 7 years and 166K before it was destroyed in a collision. I still have my second new car, a 2000 300M with 285,000 miles.

My wife bought her 1988 RX-7 new before we even met and we still have it. We have no plan for the Journey except to drive it for as long as it will last. If I turned over my cars every couple of years, then I could see the depreciation factor being relevant, but we keep them so long that we really get our money's worth.

Edited by Journeyman425

I bought a new Ram in 08 for less than CarMax wanted for a used one. I got 0% interest as well, and CarMax wanted nearly 8% with a great credit score. That interest is where they get you. If you can negotiate a good interest rate, you will save thousands. Which usually makes up the difference of buying a slightly used one.

But, at the same time I know some people who would never buy new.

Ordered from dealer. Exactly what I wanted, Crew with color, options, etc.... It took 6 weeks from order to delivery. No money down to order, no money down to finance. MSRP was 30500, paid 23700. May 2013. Only way to go is to order it.

They also put your name on the window sticker. "Exclusively made for (your name here)"

Edited by senah

Bought my fully loaded 2010 off the lot, it was so new that they just took it off the transportation truck that day and still had some plastic in it. As I said it has every option on it that was offered in 2010, there are a few I never use being a single guy, but I am happy that I got them.

Terry

146733255.jpg

Edited by Windancer

• 4 weeks later...

I got mine off the lot, I just wanted something new with all the cool toys... They just happened to have what I was looking for with a few extras!

They gave me just over $6000.00 off since they wanted to get the 2013 off their lot... The build date is 06-13, I picked it up 12-13 (yesterday to be exact). :)

We purchased our 2009 SXT in March 2008 right off the showroom floor. Had it for about 40K miles. Ended up trading it for a lightly used 2010 SXT. The 2009 had brake issues (front pads replaced at 22K miles - Chrysler eventually reimbursed me in full), intermittant airbag light issue (never resolved) among others. The final issue which caused us to trade it for the 2009 was the CCN issue - all dash warning lights cycling on/off, wipers wiping every 2 seconds. Wife named it "Christine" and said it had to go......

To date the 2010 has had no major issues. A few RRT's and recalls where performed shortly after we purchased it, but nothing since.

I don't recall the build date on the 2009, but I believe it was built in January 2008 - we took delivery in late March 2008.