First service for new (to me) Journey R/T

McBAIN

Hi,

Newbie here and new to dodge ownership. I moved to Toronto from Australia back in April and we bought a 2011 Journey R/T.

Time has come to book it in for a service and in the absence of people to ask I booked it in at the downtown Dodge dealer.

They have suggested a list of things to get changed which I suspect may contain some bogus elements, that said, it's the first service for me and i don't know how long it's been since some of these things were done so there is a peace of mind element to getting it looked over.

I'm after a few opinions, I understand how most things in a car work, but I'm far from a mechanic!

1. "Tune-up" $428 - includes replacing spark plugs which i'm told cost around $135 and plugging the ECU into a machine to check it out. why would i do this? i understand the plugs but is it more just about making sure everything is running properly?

2. Induction Service $199 - good to see this is an international dealer upsell... pass..

3. Front Struts & mounts for $705 + $109 for alignment. - i suspect after 80k this could be legit but the price seems high. i recall paying $1000 for struts & springs on my landcruiser in Aus. is this normal for Canada?

4. Apparently the Rear Toe Links are ceasing.. $559 to replace.

5. Replace all Fluids. Power Steering $109, Brake $105, Trans $225 & Coolant $125 - these could be fine but with no history i don't think it would hurt to change them.

The rear toe links are the main one I'm unsure about. seems a high price, ceasing vs ceased tells me I can leave this for a while but what happens when they cease? does it just make it hard to align the wheels or is there something more I'm missing?

Anyone else on here from the inner eastern side (beaches area) that is or knows a mechanic that could offer a second opinion/potentially better pricing?

Appreciate the help.

Welcome to the forum.

You don't say how many kilometers are on the DJ.

As far as maintenance goes a good rule of thumb is

to follow the owners manual with regards to what should

be done at any given mileage mark.

If you don't have a manual they are all downloadable

at Chrysler/Dodge Canada website.

My '11 DJ SXT is over 2 years old and has nothing

done other than oil/filters at my dealer.

As for seized parts in the suspension or changing fluids

in an '11 model I think they're rubbing their hands together.

I am in no way a mechanic, but here is my opinion.To me it sounds like to dealership service department is trying to take advantage of you. You really shouldn't need much service if the car is running and driving good. Find a nice friendly mechanic, ask for a simple oil change and get them to look over the vehicle. You will probably end up with a $50 oil change and that is all.

Hi bigstr, The Journey has 82000k's on it.

It is running fine from what I can tell. Fuel economy is up there but for a 6 cyl AWD used mainly for short trips during the week and exploring on the weekends I'm not surprised. otherwise it hasn't skipped a beat in the 7000k's we've put on it since April.

We are about to do a tour or eastern US though so thought it worth a check over.

Did you buy it from a dealer or private? I keep every record of maintenance for my vehicles and I'm sure there is a record somewhere. I'm wondering if you can access maintenance records from your VIN #. This might help fill in the blanks. If so maybe DodgecaresCa could help. I'm with bigtsr on checking the maitenance schedule in the owner's manual. I went to a new dealer after the dealer I had purchased many vehicles was sold and their maintenance department started pushing a lot of unneeded work.

Sounds awfully excessive to me. Just checked my manual...

Spark plugs aren't due until 160,000 km

Have no idea what their "induction service" includes, but, I suspect it is injector cleaning. If so, and car is running evenly, pass on that. Those injectors are tough and normally will last the length of ownership. If not, then deal with one or more of them if, and when, they fail. I had a friend that had his injectors "cleaned". Car never ran right afterwards. Not, that is, until he replaced all the injectors with new units to get it to run right again.

Are your struts bad? If not, why replace them? Are you having alignment issues? Handling issues? Again, pass, until such time as something fails.

Fluids: Coolant at 160,000 km, Transmission at 192,000 km unless used for taxi, fleet or severe towing service., AWD components: 96,000 km.

So, unless you are having "issues" with the suspension components and they need to be repaired (there isn't a "service" interval - they run till they break), all you might need is oil, even your air filter is not due until 96,000 km. Maybe the dealer has a mortgage payment he needs to meet and cash flow is low...

To do a lot of that just because it has 80,000 km on it is nonsense. You could spend thousands to make the car "like new" and never get it to "like new". I've got a 1976 Cadillac Eldorado that I still drive; 98% all original parts, even the suspension (did replace the rear shocks when the auto-level pump failed and I couldn't find a replacement). I've got a 1989 Chrysler LeBaron with the original transmission, rear end, and brake fluid still in it. All original; put new disc pads front and rear on it once, routine oil and filters and two sets of tires. Still have the original spark plugs in it.

I'd definitely have another shop take a look at it. Failed parts need to be replaced, worn (wearing is part of "failing") is not a reason to replace them, neither is age. Back in the '50's and '60's, cars were considered "good" if they lasted 36,000 miles before needing major work...now, 200,000 miles is "normal" and my son was driving my '96 Grand Caravan until last year; 300,000 miles before a part failed and that part cost more than the poor minivan was worth...

Maybe if you tell us how many km's are on your Journey we can give you a better idea of what really needs to be done up to that point.

In the posting above he said he has 82000K on it. Im asuming thats Kilo since he is in Canada. I did a conversion to miles and its 50,952 Miles. Theres no way he should be having all these problems with that low of miles on it. Shouldnt it still be under warranty with that low of miles?

i would have the trans fuild changed and nothing else unless you are having problems, just turned 58k miles on my 2011 and i had the trans fuild done ( i believe in changing trans fuilds) still have my orignal kumo tires with great tread on them. 3yr 36k for bumper to bumper 5yr 100k on engine and power train ps my fuild change was not a flush but a reg fuild and filter change ...know i did it early but believe in doing not

Edited by 2late4u

In the posting above he said he has 82000K on it. Im asuming thats Kilo since he is in Canada. I did a conversion to miles and its 50,952 Miles. Theres no way he should be having all these problems with that low of miles on it. Shouldnt it still be under warranty with that low of miles?

Once again i just skimmed through quickly and didn't catch that....thanks! :)

Anyhow, the dealer is scamming you and I would seriously run away from them as fast as you can!

Here is the maintenance schedule for a 2011 Journey with a 3.6 sold in the North American market. Miles and Kilometers are both represented. As mentioned in the above posts - most of what they are recommending is not needed at your mileage. Please see Service Bulletin following this maintenance schedule about fluid flushes. And induction services are nothing more than a way to separate your cash from your wallet. If I can find the bulletin from Chrysler which discourages dealerships from doing so, I'll post it. Feel free to print this out and bring it with you if you wish.

04 - Vehicle Quick Reference/Maintenance Schedules/Description MAINTENANCE SCHEDULES - NAFTA

The Scheduled Maintenance services listed in this manual must be done at the times or mileages specified to protect your vehicle warranty and ensure the best vehicle performance and reliability. More frequent maintenance may be needed for vehicles in severe operating conditions, such as dusty areas and very short trip driving. Inspection and service should also be done anytime a malfunction is suspected.

The oil change indicator system will remind you that it is time to take your vehicle in for scheduled maintenance.

On Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC) equipped vehicles “Oil Change Required” will be displayed in the EVIC and a single chime will sound, indicating that an oil change is necessary.

On Non-EVIC equipped vehicles “Change Oil” will flash in the instrument cluster odometer and a single chime will sound, indicating that an oil change is necessary.

Based on engine operation conditions the oil change indicator message will illuminate, this means that service is required for your vehicle. Have your vehicle serviced as soon as possible, within the next 500 miles (805 km).

NOTE:
  • The oil change indicator message will not monitor the time since the last oil change. Change your vehicles oil if it has been 6 months since your last oil change even if the oil change indicator message is NOT illuminated.
    • Change your engine oil more often if you drive your vehicle off-road for an extended period of time.
      • Under no circumstances should oil change intervals exceed 8,000 miles (13 000 km) or six months, whichever comes first.

OIL CHANGE INDICATOR - RESET

Your vehicle is equipped with an engine oil change indicator system. The “Oil Change Required” message will flash in the EVIC display for approximately 10 seconds after a single chime has sounded to indicate the next scheduled oil change interval. The engine oil change indicator system is duty cycle based, which means the engine oil change interval may fluctuate dependent upon your personal driving style.

Unless reset, this message will continue to display each time you turn the ignition switch to the ON/RUN position. To turn off the message temporarily, press and release the Menu button. To reset the oil change indicator system (after performing the scheduled maintenance) perform the following procedure:

1. Turn the ignition switch to the “ON” position (Do not start the engine).
  2. Fully depress the accelerator pedal slowly three times within 10 seconds.

3. Turn the ignition switch to the “LOCK” position.

NOTE:

If the indicator message illuminates when you start the vehicle, the oil change indicator system did not reset. If necessary repeat this procedure.

At Each Stop for Fuel
  • Check the engine oil level about five minutes after a fully warmed engine is shut off. Checking the oil level while the vehicle is on level ground will improve the accuracy of the oil level reading. Add oil only when the level is at or below the ADD or MIN mark.
  • Check the windshield washer solvent and add if required.
Once a Month
  • Check tire pressure and look for unusual wear or damage.
  • Inspect the battery and clean and tighten the terminals as required.
  • Check the fluid levels of coolant reservoir, brake master cylinder, and transmission and add as needed.
  • Check all lights and other electrical items for correct operation.
At Each Oil Change
  • Change the engine oil filter.
  • Inspect the brake hoses and lines.
CAUTION:
  • Failure to perform the required maintenance items may result in damage to the vehicle.
    • Proper operation of four-wheel drive vehicles depends on tires of equal size, type and circumference on each wheel. Any difference in tire size can cause damage to the transfer case. Tire rotation schedule should be followed to balance tire wear.

Required Maintenance Intervals

Refer to the Maintenance Schedules on the following pages for the required maintenance intervals.

Perform Maintenance Every Maintenance Items (Where time and mileage are listed, follow the interval that occurs first.) Miles Kilometers Months 8000 13000 6
  • Change the engine oil and engine oil filter.
  • Rotate the tires, rotate at the first sign of irregular wear, even if it occurs before 8,000 miles (13 000 km).
16000 26000 12
  • Rotate the tires, rotate at the first sign of irregular wear, even if it occurs before 16,000 miles (26 000 km).
  • If using your vehicle for any of the following: Dusty or off-road conditions. Inspect the engine air cleaner filter; replace if necessary.
  • Replace the air conditioning filter.
  • Inspect the brake linings, replace if necessary.
  • Inspect exhaust system. Perform the first inspection at 16,000 miles (26 000 km) or 12 months.
  • Inspect the front suspension, tie rod ends and boot seals for cracks or leaks and all parts for damage, wear, improper looseness or end play; replace if necessary.
24000 39000 18
  • Rotate the tires, rotate at the first sign of irregular wear, even if it occurs before 24,000 miles (39 000 km).
  • Inspect the CV joints.
  • Inspect exhaust system.
32000 52000 24
  • Rotate the tires, rotate at the first sign of irregular wear, even if it occurs before 32,000 miles (52 000 km).
  • Replace the spark plugs (2.4L Engine).
  • Replace the engine air cleaner filter.
  • Inspect the front suspension, tie rod ends and boot seals for cracks or leaks and all parts for damage, wear, improper looseness or end play; replace if necessary.
40000 65000 30
  • Rotate the tires, rotate at the first sign of irregular wear, even if it occurs before 40,000 miles (65 000 km).
48000 78000 36
  • Rotate the tires, rotate at the first sign of irregular wear, even if it occurs before 48,000 miles (78 000 km).
  • If using your vehicle for any of the following: Dusty or off-road conditions. Inspect the engine air cleaner filter; replace if necessary.
  • Inspect the CV joints.
56000 91000 42
  • Rotate the tires, rotate at the first sign of irregular wear, even if it occurs before 56,000 miles (91 000 km).
64000 104000 48
  • Rotate the tires, rotate at the first sign of irregular wear, even if it occurs before 64,000 miles (104 000 km).
  • Inspect the brake linings; replace if necessary.
  • Change the automatic transmission fluid and filter(s) if using your vehicle for any of the following: police, taxi, fleet, or frequent trailer towing.
72000 117000 54
  • Rotate the tires, rotate at the first sign of irregular wear, even if it occurs before 72,000 miles (117 000 km).
  • Inspect the CV joints.
80000 130000 60
  • Rotate the tires, rotate at the first sign of irregular wear, even if it occurs before 80,000 miles (130 000 km).
  • Flush and replace the engine coolant if not done at 104,000 miles (169 000 km).
88000 143000 66
  • Rotate the tires, rotate at the first sign of irregular wear, even if it occurs before 88,000 miles (143 000 km).
96000 156000 72
  • Rotate the tires, rotate at the first sign of irregular wear, even if it occurs before 96,000 miles (156 000 km).
  • Replace the spark plugs (3.6L Engine).
  • Inspect and replace PCV Valve if necessary.†
  • Inspect the CV joints.
104000 169000 78
  • Rotate the tires, rotate at the first sign of irregular wear, even if it occurs before 104,000 miles (169 000 km).
  • Flush and replace the engine coolant if not done at 60 months.
112000 182000 84
  • Rotate the tires, rotate at the first sign of irregular wear, even if it occurs before 112,000 miles (182 000 km).
120000 195000 90
  • Rotate the tires, rotate at the first sign of irregular wear, even if it occurs before 120,000 miles (195 000 km).
  • Inspect the CV joints.
  • Change the automatic transmission fluid and filter(s).
  • Replace the accessory drive belt(s).
128000 208000 96
  • Rotate the tires, rotate at the first sign of irregular wear, even if it occurs before 128,000 miles (208 000 km).
136000 221000 102
  • Rotate the tires, rotate at the first sign of irregular wear, even if it occurs before 136,000 miles (221 000 km).
144000 234000 108
  • Rotate the tires, rotate at the first sign of irregular wear, even if it occurs before 144,000 miles (234 000 km).
  • Inspect the CV joints.
152000 247000 114
  • Rotate the tires, rotate at the first sign of irregular wear, even if it occurs before 152,000 miles (247 000 km).

† This maintenance is recommended by the manufacturer to the owner, but is not required to maintain emissions warranty.

WARNING:
  • SUBJECT:

Fluid Flushing Requirements

MODELS:

2011 - 2012 (D2) Ram Truck (3500 Pick Up)

2011 - 2012 (DD) Ram Truck (3500 Chassis Cab)

2011 - 2012 (DJ) Ram Truck (2500 Pick Up)

2011 - 2012 (DP) Ram Truck (4500 / 5500 Chassis Cab)

2011 - 2012 (DS) Ram Truck (1500)

2012 (FF) Fiat 500

2011 - 2012 (JC) Journey

2011 - 2012 (JK) Wrangler

2011 - 2012 (JS) Avenger/200

2011 - 2012 (KK) Liberty

2011 (KA) Nitro

2011 - 2012 (LC) Challenger

2011 - 2012 (LD) Charger

2011 - 2012 (LX) 300

2011 - 2012 (MK) Compass/Patriot

2011 (ND) Dakota

2013 (PF) Dart

2011 - 2012 (PM) Caliber

2011 - 2012 (RT) Town & Country/Grand Caravan

2011 - 2012 (WD) Durango

2011 - 2012 (WK) Grand Cherokee

DISCUSSION:

Chrysler Group vehicle fluid systems do

NOT require regular flushing. These systems

include: engine oil, transmission oil, axle lube, brake fluid, power steering fluid, and

refrigerant. The only exceptions to this requirement are published in the vehicle

maintenance schedules, e.g. engine coolant.

NUMBER:

26-004-12

GROUP:

Miscellaneous

DATE:

June 06, 2012

Exceptions to this recommendation include only those instances where a malfunction has

occurred and/or the system has become compromised, contaminated or overheated

beyond the normal operating range.

Chrysler Group does

NOT recommend aftermarket chemicals to flush the engine,

transmission, brake or steering systems. Chemicals contained in these products can

damage the system elastomeric components, and contaminate the component fluid,

leading to loss of system/component durability and service life. When necessary, only the

original approved system fluid should be used to flush these components using teamPSE®

approved equipment.

If the engine coolant contains a considerable amount of sediment, clean and flush with

Mopar Cooling System Flush, p/n 04856977, or equivalent. Follow with a thorough rinsing

to remove all deposits and chemicals. Refill with a minimum of a 50% mixture of the

specified coolant and distilled water.

POLICY:

Information Only

26-004-12 -2-

Here is the maintenance schedule for a 2011 Journey with a 3.6 sold in the North American market. Miles and Kilometers are both represented. As mentioned in the above posts - most of what they are recommending is not needed at your mileage. Please see Service Bulletin following this maintenance schedule about fluid flushes. And induction services are nothing more than a way to separate your cash from your wallet. If I can find the bulletin from Chrysler which discourages dealerships from doing so, I'll post it. Feel free to print this out and bring it with you if you wish.

04 - Vehicle Quick Reference/Maintenance Schedules/Description MAINTENANCE SCHEDULES - NAFTA

The Scheduled Maintenance services listed in this manual must be done at the times or mileages specified to protect your vehicle warranty and ensure the best vehicle performance and reliability. More frequent maintenance may be needed for vehicles in severe operating conditions, such as dusty areas and very short trip driving. Inspection and service should also be done anytime a malfunction is suspected.

The oil change indicator system will remind you that it is time to take your vehicle in for scheduled maintenance.

On Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC) equipped vehicles “Oil Change Required” will be displayed in the EVIC and a single chime will sound, indicating that an oil change is necessary.

On Non-EVIC equipped vehicles “Change Oil” will flash in the instrument cluster odometer and a single chime will sound, indicating that an oil change is necessary.

Based on engine operation conditions the oil change indicator message will illuminate, this means that service is required for your vehicle. Have your vehicle serviced as soon as possible, within the next 500 miles (805 km).

NOTE:
  • The oil change indicator message will not monitor the time since the last oil change. Change your vehicles oil if it has been 6 months since your last oil change even if the oil change indicator message is NOT illuminated.
    • Change your engine oil more often if you drive your vehicle off-road for an extended period of time.
      • Under no circumstances should oil change intervals exceed 8,000 miles (13 000 km) or six months, whichever comes first.
OIL CHANGE INDICATOR - RESET

Your vehicle is equipped with an engine oil change indicator system. The “Oil Change Required” message will flash in the EVIC display for approximately 10 seconds after a single chime has sounded to indicate the next scheduled oil change interval. The engine oil change indicator system is duty cycle based, which means the engine oil change interval may fluctuate dependent upon your personal driving style.

Unless reset, this message will continue to display each time you turn the ignition switch to the ON/RUN position. To turn off the message temporarily, press and release the Menu button. To reset the oil change indicator system (after performing the scheduled maintenance) perform the following procedure:

1. Turn the ignition switch to the “ON” position (Do not start the engine).
  2. Fully depress the accelerator pedal slowly three times within 10 seconds.
  3. Turn the ignition switch to the “LOCK” position.
NOTE:

If the indicator message illuminates when you start the vehicle, the oil change indicator system did not reset. If necessary repeat this procedure.

At Each Stop for Fuel
  • Check the engine oil level about five minutes after a fully warmed engine is shut off. Checking the oil level while the vehicle is on level ground will improve the accuracy of the oil level reading. Add oil only when the level is at or below the ADD or MIN mark.
  • Check the windshield washer solvent and add if required.
Once a Month
  • Check tire pressure and look for unusual wear or damage.
  • Inspect the battery and clean and tighten the terminals as required.
  • Check the fluid levels of coolant reservoir, brake master cylinder, and transmission and add as needed.
  • Check all lights and other electrical items for correct operation.
At Each Oil Change
  • Change the engine oil filter.
  • Inspect the brake hoses and lines.
CAUTION:
  • Failure to perform the required maintenance items may result in damage to the vehicle.
    • Proper operation of four-wheel drive vehicles depends on tires of equal size, type and circumference on each wheel. Any difference in tire size can cause damage to the transfer case. Tire rotation schedule should be followed to balance tire wear.
Required Maintenance Intervals

Refer to the Maintenance Schedules on the following pages for the required maintenance intervals.

Perform Maintenance Every Maintenance Items (Where time and mileage are listed, follow the interval that occurs first.) Miles Kilometers Months 8000 13000 6
  • Rotate the tires, rotate at the first sign of irregular wear, even if it occurs before 8,000 miles (13 000 km).
16000 26000 12
  • Rotate the tires, rotate at the first sign of irregular wear, even if it occurs before 16,000 miles (26 000 km).
  • Inspect exhaust system. Perform the first inspection at 16,000 miles (26 000 km) or 12 months.
24000 39000 18
  • Rotate the tires, rotate at the first sign of irregular wear, even if it occurs before 24,000 miles (39 000 km).
  • Inspect the CV joints.
32000 52000 24
  • Rotate the tires, rotate at the first sign of irregular wear, even if it occurs before 32,000 miles (52 000 km).
40000 65000 30
  • Rotate the tires, rotate at the first sign of irregular wear, even if it occurs before 40,000 miles (65 000 km).
48000 78000 36
  • Rotate the tires, rotate at the first sign of irregular wear, even if it occurs before 48,000 miles (78 000 km).
  • Inspect the CV joints.
56000 91000 42
  • Rotate the tires, rotate at the first sign of irregular wear, even if it occurs before 56,000 miles (91 000 km).
64000 104000 48
  • Rotate the tires, rotate at the first sign of irregular wear, even if it occurs before 64,000 miles (104 000 km).
  • Inspect the brake linings; replace if necessary.
  • Change the automatic transmission fluid and filter(s) if using your vehicle for any of the following: police, taxi, fleet, or frequent trailer towing.
72000 117000 54
  • Rotate the tires, rotate at the first sign of irregular wear, even if it occurs before 72,000 miles (117 000 km).
  • Inspect the CV joints.
80000 130000 60
  • Rotate the tires, rotate at the first sign of irregular wear, even if it occurs before 80,000 miles (130 000 km).
  • Flush and replace the engine coolant if not done at 104,000 miles (169 000 km).
88000 143000 66
  • Rotate the tires, rotate at the first sign of irregular wear, even if it occurs before 88,000 miles (143 000 km).
96000 156000 72
  • Rotate the tires, rotate at the first sign of irregular wear, even if it occurs before 96,000 miles (156 000 km).
  • Replace the spark plugs (3.6L Engine).
  • Inspect and replace PCV Valve if necessary.†
  • Inspect the CV joints.
104000 169000 78
  • Rotate the tires, rotate at the first sign of irregular wear, even if it occurs before 104,000 miles (169 000 km).
  • Flush and replace the engine coolant if not done at 60 months.
112000 182000 84
  • Rotate the tires, rotate at the first sign of irregular wear, even if it occurs before 112,000 miles (182 000 km).
120000 195000 90
  • Rotate the tires, rotate at the first sign of irregular wear, even if it occurs before 120,000 miles (195 000 km).
  • Inspect the CV joints.
  • Change the automatic transmission fluid and filter(s).
  • Replace the accessory drive belt(s).
128000 208000 96
  • Rotate the tires, rotate at the first sign of irregular wear, even if it occurs before 128,000 miles (208 000 km).
136000 221000 102
  • Rotate the tires, rotate at the first sign of irregular wear, even if it occurs before 136,000 miles (221 000 km).
144000 234000 108
  • Rotate the tires, rotate at the first sign of irregular wear, even if it occurs before 144,000 miles (234 000 km).
  • Inspect the CV joints.
152000 247000 114
  • Rotate the tires, rotate at the first sign of irregular wear, even if it occurs before 152,000 miles (247 000 km).

† This maintenance is recommended by the manufacturer to the owner, but is not required to maintain emissions warranty.

WARNING:
  • SUBJECT:

Fluid Flushing Requirements

MODELS:

2011 - 2012 (D2) Ram Truck (3500 Pick Up)

2011 - 2012 (DD) Ram Truck (3500 Chassis Cab)

2011 - 2012 (DJ) Ram Truck (2500 Pick Up)

2011 - 2012 (DP) Ram Truck (4500 / 5500 Chassis Cab)

2011 - 2012 (DS) Ram Truck (1500)

2012 (FF) Fiat 500

2011 - 2012 (JC) Journey

2011 - 2012 (JK) Wrangler

2011 - 2012 (JS) Avenger/200

2011 - 2012 (KK) Liberty

2011 (KA) Nitro

2011 - 2012 (LC) Challenger

2011 - 2012 (LD) Charger

2011 - 2012 (LX) 300

2011 - 2012 (MK) Compass/Patriot

2011 (ND) Dakota

2013 (PF) Dart

2011 - 2012 (PM) Caliber

2011 - 2012 (RT) Town & Country/Grand Caravan

2011 - 2012 (WD) Durango

2011 - 2012 (WK) Grand Cherokee

DISCUSSION:

Chrysler Group vehicle fluid systems do

NOT require regular flushing. These systems

include: engine oil, transmission oil, axle lube, brake fluid, power steering fluid, and

refrigerant. The only exceptions to this requirement are published in the vehicle

maintenance schedules, e.g. engine coolant.

NUMBER:

26-004-12

GROUP:

Miscellaneous

DATE:

June 06, 2012

Exceptions to this recommendation include only those instances where a malfunction has

occurred and/or the system has become compromised, contaminated or overheated

beyond the normal operating range.

Chrysler Group does

NOT recommend aftermarket chemicals to flush the engine,

transmission, brake or steering systems. Chemicals contained in these products can

damage the system elastomeric components, and contaminate the component fluid,

leading to loss of system/component durability and service life. When necessary, only the

original approved system fluid should be used to flush these components using teamPSE®

approved equipment.

If the engine coolant contains a considerable amount of sediment, clean and flush with

Mopar Cooling System Flush, p/n 04856977, or equivalent. Follow with a thorough rinsing

to remove all deposits and chemicals. Refill with a minimum of a 50% mixture of the

specified coolant and distilled water.

POLICY:

Information Only

26-004-12 -2-

Two thumbs up!!!!!!!!!!

• 3 years later...

Unless you see a puddle of transmission fluid, there's nothing to worry about.  I've got a 62TE transmission in my 2010 Town and Country (same as is in the Journey).  The only times I've ever seen fluid anywhere near the outside of the transmission where when it need to have the final drive seals replaced (under powertrain warranty), the transmission cooler lines failed (at 120,000 miles), and each time I've replaced power steering lines (steering system uses ATF+4).  The transmission is sealed.  Check for obvious signs of leaks, but otherwise don't worry about it.