Coolant reservoir

Jwh127

This is a common issue in most modern cars. With emissions standards what they are, all vehicles run hotter than in the past. With the ambient heat from the engine and the heat from the coolant, combined with a large number of heating and cooling cycles over time, even the most robust plastics will give way eventually.

Does this happen on Diesel VWs too? Just asking

This is a common issue in most modern cars. With emissions standards what they are, all vehicles run hotter than in the past. With the ambient heat from the engine and the heat from the coolant, combined with a large number of heating and cooling cycles over time, even the most robust plastics will give way eventually.

And you can thank the EPA for forcing even more and more stringent emissions and mileage requirements on auto manufacturers causing them to resort to making every part they can out of plastic.

But the real problem is that for some unknown reason over the past 15 or so Chrysler has been putting half the bottle in the pressurised coolant loop, rather than what they used to do, which was to use the bottle solely to catch overflow - it is the pressure that kills the bottle, because under repeated heating and cooling cycles the plastic eventually becomes brittle - if it wasn't for the pressure, even as a brittle plastic bottle it wouldn't break - and if it did, the entire contents of the cooling system wouldn't be dumped on the street.

So tell me, which is more environmentally friendly? Not spilling a few gallons of coolant on the ground? Or using a larger plastic bottle that requires more fitings to tie it into the vehicle's plumbing and is almost guaranteed to eventually spill toxic coolant all over the place AND is likely cause the engine to severely overheat?

There is no reason why they couldn't leave the cap on the top of the radiator (or even above the thermostat, the way my motorcycle does) and go back to using the plastic bottle solely for non-pressurised overflow capture.

• 8 months later...
7 hours ago, blondie42550 said:

My '09 Journey with 56,000 just developed the leak. :-( There are a couple of other issues but it IS 7 years old! Could be worse. Hopefully I can keep adding coolant until I get it to the shop next Friday!

Known issue. It's made of plastic. The welds fail over time.

• 1 year later...