Coolant reservoir

Jwh127

• 2 months later...

I have the same problem with my 2010...along with a ton of other problems. I REGRET that I ever bought this car! I was told I would have to replace. Mine was at 62,000 miles when they found the leak. Replaced it...and now at 90,000 it is leaking again!

You can always sell it!!

• 5 months later...

My coolant reservoir has started leaking at 107,000 miles on my 2009. Is this most likely my problem?

Most likely your problem for what?

It is made of plastic. Repeated heat/cool cycles over time will eventually stress it wnough that it could crack and start leaking. I have seen a few crack.

• 3 months later...

Most likely your problem for what?

It is made of plastic. Repeated heat/cool cycles over time will eventually stress it wnough that it could crack and start leaking. I have seen a few crack.

just as jkeaton... here in Brazil it is a common part, i have replaced my with 74.000 KM, hot climate...They should have added to inspect this every 50k or replaced every 80k... would cause less warm on to the DJ.... depends on the style of the maintenance you carried out this can be easily over seen.... and maybe found too late...

• 6 months later...

G'day, the same has just happened to our DJ here in Australia. It's just over 100000km and it looks like the reservoir is leaking from the mid line. The dealer wanted $387AUD for just the part which I thought was a bit steep so I've just ordered one from the U.S. for $130AUD (80 bottle, 50 postage). Dealer also charged $100 for repacement oil filter so it's probably the first and last time I'll go back there.

Any idea if the reservoir is easy to replace when I get it and which off the shelf coolant I can use to top up?

G'day, the same has just happened to our DJ here in Australia. It's just over 100000km and it looks like the reservoir is leaking from the mid line. The dealer wanted $387AUD for just the part which I thought was a bit steep so I've just ordered one from the U.S. for $130AUD (80 bottle, 50 postage). Dealer also charged $100 for repacement oil filter so it's probably the first and last time I'll go back there.

Any idea if the reservoir is easy to replace when I get it and which off the shelf coolant I can use to top up?

Welcome to the forum. Refer to the owners manual for recommended coolant. The reservoir should be easy to replace. Just a couple hoses and screws/bolts holding it in.

Maybe they are not being installed correctly, which may be causing undue stress.

Yeah, you would think they would do something about it if this happens frequently. My guess is cheap plastic and/or poor "plastic welding" or quality control of said welding of the two halves.

Maybe each of you that has a leak could indicate where the leak started. Maybe they are all in the same place. That would indicate a bad design from the beginning. However, if they are all leaking in a different area, that might add they used the wrong material to make it.

Either way, if this becomes a common issue. then Dodge should make a TSB/recall available. Maybe the cars with leaks were all made around the same time; the leak may be isolated to a specific time period.

Edited by dhh3

• 1 month later...

Chrysler cut quite a few corners across all vehicles up through the 2010 model year. Vehicles manufactured after 2011 (or had mid-generation refresh in 2011 or later) have been of MUCH higher quality. Compare the inside of a 2009/2010 Journey with a 2015. Compare the engine offerings for the Grand Caravan/Town and Country from 2008-2010 with 2011 and later.

Fiat, and the lead up to the takeover, has been VERY good for Chrysler. It should have happened without the cash of the US federal government, but that's a discussion for another day.

Chrysler cut quite a few corners across all vehicles up through the 2010 model year. Vehicles manufactured after 2011 (or had mid-generation refresh in 2011 or later) have been of MUCH higher quality. Compare the inside of a 2009/2010 Journey with a 2015. Compare the engine offerings for the Grand Caravan/Town and Country from 2008-2010 with 2011 and later.

Fiat, and the lead up to the takeover, has been VERY good for Chrysler. It should have happened without the cash of the US federal government, but that's a discussion for another day.

I have seen this first hand as I work for FCA. Several years of neglect and maximizing profit by "other" owners led to a serious decline in quality. I'm very happy with the direction Fiat has taken with Chrysler.. quality has improved immensely since Fiat has taken over.

• 1 month later...

Well then expect it to continue to leak.

And when it does and the engine overheats and you have a $3,000 repair or have to replace the vehicle, you have no one to blame but yourself. Cars break. Get over it. It's a component that ANYONE can fix in their driveway with little more than a set of pliers.

• 3 months later...

this is a common enough problem for the local dealer to carry 2 in stock...and they don't even carry wipers for the rear in stock.

This is a common issue in most modern cars. With emissions standards what they are, all vehicles run hotter than in the past. With the ambient heat from the engine and the heat from the coolant, combined with a large number of heating and cooling cycles over time, even the most robust plastics will give way eventually.