2013 journey alignment problems

wdmartin1

I bought a 2013 journey in on Aug 5th 2013 with 43 miles on it and since Aug 8th 2013 it has been to two different dealerships and one independent front end shop for an alignment problem and as of today it has been aligned 8 times , had the front cradle adjusted , tires and wheels replaced and it still pulls hard right and all of them say its in prefect spec and it should drive straight as an arrow but it doesn't in fact it now has 2000 miles on it and is now on its 3rd complete set of wheels and tires the last set was installed on Aug 22nd 2013 by dodge and when I took it back to a different dealer at the request of Chrysler on Sept.3rd that set was completely worn on the inside edge of the left front im really fed up I have owned it 35 days and 26 of them its been in the shop has anyone else had a similar issue

Less than two thousand miles to wear the inside edge of the tire off? Something is drastically wrong, and I'm frankly shocked that two complete replacement sets of wheels and tires were authorized to try and correct the condition. The district manager should be fully involved at this point if he/she is not already. Please keep us posted.

I would definitely file a lemon law complaint/lawsuite. Make them give you a new vehicle of the exact same specs. That is just ridiculous. Never had mine aligned after 1.5years of driving. Still on the stock tires at 38k miles (although almost time for new ones). Nice even wear.

• 2 weeks later...

Holy crap!!! Someone else is having the same issue as me. Sortof at least. Mine pulled left originally and was feathering the front tires. 3 dealers later, and now it pulls right and wanders all over the road. The front suspension has also become very noisy. (clunks and pops). If I grab the top of the right front wheel and shake it, you can feel play and it will start clunking. Dealer says this is normal and they see Rams do this fromn time to time. What a Ram has to do with a Journey I'll never know.

Same here no alignment since June 2011 when I bought my DJ. In fact, I tried to have it aligned but was told it can't be aligned. At the time I thought they were out of their minds. I'm still not sure, but haven't had any problems. Manual does not mention alignment either. Does anyone know definitively what the front end needs and how often? Where's DodgeCares these days? I know there have been some changes. Chris used to be very responsive.

Peace.

Camber and caster adjustments are possible but should not be needed in most cases. Toe is adjustable. From the service manual:

FRONT CAMBER AND CASTER

NOTE:

There are service struts available that have elongated bottom holes for front camber adjustment.

Front camber and caster settings on this vehicle are determined at the time the vehicle is designed, by the location of the vehicle's suspension components. This is referred to as Net Build. The result is no required adjustment of camber and caster after the vehicle is built or when servicing the suspension components. Thus, when performing a wheel alignment, caster and camber are not normally considered adjustable angles but some adjustment can be made. Camber and caster should be checked to ensure they meet vehicle specifications. (Refer to 02 - Front Suspension/Wheel Alignment - Specifications)

If individual front camber or caster is found not to meet alignment specifications, each can be adjusted by shifting the front crossmember or by using an available service adjustment bolt package. If an adjustment bolt package installation is necessary, inspect the suspension components for any signs of damage or bending first.

CAUTION:

Do not attempt to adjust the vehicle's wheel alignment by heating or bending any of the suspension components.

TOE

GUID-02-070-000-91360.jpg
  1. Center the steering wheel and lock it in place using a steering wheel clamp.

NOTE:

When setting toe, make sure to set rear toe to the preferred specifications before setting front toe to the preferred specifications

2. Remove the steering wheel clamp.

3. Remove the alignment equipment.

4. Road test the vehicle to verify the steering wheel is straight and the vehicle does not pull or wander.
REAR TOE

NOTE:

Perform the following at each rear wheel as necessary.

GUID-02-070-000-91362.jpg
  1. While holding the cam bolt head (4) stationary, loosen the toe link mounting cam bolt nut (3).
  2. Rotate the cam bolt head (4) left or right until the rear wheel toe for that rear wheel is set to the preferred specification. (Refer to 02 - Front Suspension/Wheel Alignment - Specifications)

3. While holding the cam bolt head (4) stationary, tighten the toe link mounting cam bolt nut (3) to 100 N·m (74 ft. lbs.).
FRONT TOE

NOTE:

Perform the following at each front wheel as necessary.

CAUTION:

Do not twist the inner tie rod-to-steering gear boot (bellows) while turning the inner tie rod during front toe adjustment. It may be necessary to remove the clamp where the boot meets the inner tie rod.

GUID-02-070-000-91366.jpg
  1. Loosen the tie rod adjusting jam nut (1). Grasp the inner tie rod (3) and rotate it one way or the other until the front wheel toe is set to the preferred specification. (Refer to 02 - Front Suspension/Wheel Alignment - Specifications)

2. Tighten the tie rod adjusting jam nut to of 75 N·m (55 ft. lbs.).

3. Make sure the inner tie rod-to-steering gear boot is not twisted. If removed, reinstall the clamp where the boot meets the inner tie rod.

These are excerpts from the manual but should give you an idea of the procedure. If you don't have irregular tire wear or pulling, let it be.

• Official Dodge Support

redtomatoman, on 21 Sept 2013 - 10:17 AM, said:

Where's DodgeCares these days? I know there have been some changes. Chris used to be very responsive.

Chris took another job within the company. I'm not sure what is going to happen with his previous responsibilities. Edited by DodgeCares

Camber and caster adjustments are possible but should not be needed in most cases. Toe is adjustable. From the service manual:

FRONT CAMBER AND CASTERNOTE:

There are service struts available that have elongated bottom holes for front camber adjustment.

Front camber and caster settings on this vehicle are determined at the time the vehicle is designed, by the location of the vehicle's suspension components. This is referred to as Net Build. The result is no required adjustment of camber and caster after the vehicle is built or when servicing the suspension components. Thus, when performing a wheel alignment, caster and camber are not normally considered adjustable angles but some adjustment can be made. Camber and caster should be checked to ensure they meet vehicle specifications. (Refer to 02 - Front Suspension/Wheel Alignment - Specifications)

If individual front camber or caster is found not to meet alignment specifications, each can be adjusted by shifting the front crossmember or by using an available service adjustment bolt package. If an adjustment bolt package installation is necessary, inspect the suspension components for any signs of damage or bending first.

CAUTION:

Do not attempt to adjust the vehicle's wheel alignment by heating or bending any of the suspension components.

TOE

GUID-02-070-000-91360.jpg
  1. Center the steering wheel and lock it in place using a steering wheel clamp.

NOTE:

When setting toe, make sure to set rear toe to the preferred specifications before setting front toe to the preferred specifications

2. Remove the steering wheel clamp.
  3. Remove the alignment equipment.
  4. Road test the vehicle to verify the steering wheel is straight and the vehicle does not pull or wander.
REAR TOENOTE:

Perform the following at each rear wheel as necessary.

GUID-02-070-000-91362.jpg
  1. While holding the cam bolt head (4) stationary, loosen the toe link mounting cam bolt nut (3).
  2. Rotate the cam bolt head (4) left or right until the rear wheel toe for that rear wheel is set to the preferred specification. (Refer to 02 - Front Suspension/Wheel Alignment - Specifications)
  3. While holding the cam bolt head (4) stationary, tighten the toe link mounting cam bolt nut (3) to 100 N·m (74 ft. lbs.).

FRONT TOENOTE:

Perform the following at each front wheel as necessary.

CAUTION:

Do not twist the inner tie rod-to-steering gear boot (bellows) while turning the inner tie rod during front toe adjustment. It may be necessary to remove the clamp where the boot meets the inner tie rod.

GUID-02-070-000-91366.jpg
  1. Loosen the tie rod adjusting jam nut (1). Grasp the inner tie rod (3) and rotate it one way or the other until the front wheel toe is set to the preferred specification. (Refer to 02 - Front Suspension/Wheel Alignment - Specifications)
  2. Tighten the tie rod adjusting jam nut to of 75 N·m (55 ft. lbs.).
  3. Make sure the inner tie rod-to-steering gear boot is not twisted. If removed, reinstall the clamp where the boot meets the inner tie rod.

These are excerpts from the manual but should give you an idea of the procedure. If you don't have irregular tire wear or pulling, let it be.

Thanks Journeyman!