Front Bucket Seats Problems???

harleyhearse

Hi, we are having a problem with both front bucket seats in our 2012 Journey Crew 5 pass. It has the heated cloth bucket seats in it.. Problems is that the foam in the seat base is really soft and will deform easily.....when it does you sink down in the seat, and it is uncomfortable. And now once on the drivers side, and twice on the passenger side the outside piece of plastic that covers the seat base (beside the doors) breaks off when you go to get out of the car!.... I realize I am a big guy, but my wife isn't and one has broken on her! When I have gone back to the dealership, they have seen this problem before...apparently it is common???? Anyone else have this problem?? If so what did the dealership do? It is getting tiring trying to replace these stupid piece's of plastic..

The plastic cover on my wifes side broke also,

I looked at it and decided just to drill 2 holes

in the plastic and looped a heavy duty tiewrap

around the support piece that held the broken

plastic piece.

Covered the tiewrap where it shows with a piece

flat black mastic tape.

It's a vehicle not a work of art.

• Official Dodge Support

Hi, we are having a problem with both front bucket seats in our 2012 Journey Crew 5 pass. It has the heated cloth bucket seats in it.. Problems is that the foam in the seat base is really soft and will deform easily.....when it does you sink down in the seat, and it is uncomfortable. And now once on the drivers side, and twice on the passenger side the outside piece of plastic that covers the seat base (beside the doors) breaks off when you go to get out of the car!.... I realize I am a big guy, but my wife isn't and one has broken on her! When I have gone back to the dealership, they have seen this problem before...apparently it is common???? Anyone else have this problem?? If so what did the dealership do? It is getting tiring trying to replace these stupid piece's of plastic..

harleyhearse,

Sorry to hear you are having these troubles, has your dealership been replacing these plastic pieces or have there been any other types of adjustment or modification to resolve the concern?

If you send me your VIN, I can check to see what can be done to resolve this issue with the seats.

• Official Dodge Support

Wes, I don't have 5 posts yet so they will not let me answer your private message.... I am going to answer a few questions on the forum and hopefully it will then let me PM you.....I will reply....Tks Frank P.

harleyhearse,

PM has been received, I will start reviewing and PM you once more information can be shared with you.

Thanks again!

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Yep. Mine broke too. I used a flat washer and self tapping screw to secure it. Sometimes you have to use your own resources to make up for poor choice of mounting methods from the factory.

Edited by jkeaton

my 2011 broke on the pass side dealer replaced it then it broke again after warranty ran out i just held it up where it was supposed to hang and drilled a small hole thur the plastic and metal in the middle of the plastic towards the front and then ran a small black screw into it never had no more problem well traded in on my 14 journey and the pass side broke on it also so didnt even take it back to the dealer just did the same thing still working great..... yes its a cheap ass plastic part that is not really up to high standards but out of both cars was my only problem except for the warped rotors that the dealer fixed and never had any more problems SO i am okay with it and LOVE my journey........well just remembered had a small problem with my 14 the divers side plastic step cover came loose once when my foot hit it and lifted it,never would stay down after that the dealer fixed it just before it went out of warranty and if it happens again i see a small black screw going into it also.........

Edited by 2late4u

• 1 year later...

Hi, Im new to this forum so please cut me some slack if Im re-incarnating the dead here.

My wife and I recently purchased a 2014 Dodge Journey R/T, Silver with 30,000 miles. I am a seat engineer by trade (work at one of the Big 3) and noticed after 3 or 4 days after purchase that the passenger side-shield was dis-engaged to the seat structure (yes, I missed this at time of purchase). After investigating some, I noticed that the plastic tab which connects the side shield to the frame was broke in half. Im assuming this was from previous wear and tear as the outboard RH cushion bolster is pretty beat up as well. Wondering if anyone else has had this issue, and in my case, if this would somehow be covered under warranty. I was told my vehicle was a certified pre-owned  (Dealership certified on the spot to complete the deal). Im considering trying some of the fastener methods listed above..Anyways, I hope I posted this in the right thread and look forward to all the insight offered here.

- Mike

What's the FCA Bumper to Bumper warranty? 3/30k? you'd need to fall in the bumper to bumper warranty for it to be covered.

That being said, you mentioned it's a CPO. Did your dealer give you a special 30 day or something bumper to bumper?  might be worth asking.

Lastly, it might not hurt to just ask them. don't want to make you hopeful, but if there is no warranty, maybe talking nicely/firmly to the dealership will lead to them finding one from a back room they had lying around... you never know.

PS. if you're feeling like getting even, just test drive an '18 and swap the plates. the next owner/person to test it will report it and claim it under bumper to bumper on that new car.... you know, if you're feeling devious and stuff..

My driver side one is starting to fail... i'm just dealing with it for now. I know if i fix it it'll just fail again later....

Thanks for the feedback guys. I was getting out of my car at 5pm today and guess what... the driver side-shield cracked in half. Now I'm 1 week into ownership of the vehicle and have 2 broken side-shields. I just don't understand how 5 years into manufacturing basically the same vehicle this issue has not been identified/corrected at the plant level. One would think Chrysler would test seats for ingress/egress durability as well as other "life-cycle" type testing to vett these issues out. Im 5' 10" and weigh 175 pounds so its not like I'm a super big guy or anything. Other than this issue I have been totally content with the car thus far.. good thing I have a place to vent for now. The wife just gets more upset about it than I.