Fuel Economy

Journeyman425

More often than not, high octane results in better fuel economy. However, the cost differential does not support using the higher octane as the increase in economy tends to be minimal.

Lately my R/T AWD has been in the 17 range, driving four miles one way to work with plenty of stops and traffic on the way. On the highway, I can get 26-28 at 75 MPH with four adults and luggage. I rented a base SXT V6 AWD for a trip to Toronto, and at 65 MPH with just me, my suitcase for the week, and my computer bag, I got 32 MPG.

More often than not, high octane results in better fuel economy. However, the cost differential does not support using the higher octane as the increase in economy tends to be minimal.

Nope - the only reason you would likely get better mileage with high octane fuel in an engine that doesn't require it would be that it has no ethanol, something that a dwindling number of stations provide.

http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0210-paying-premium-high-octane-gasoline

Personally Defender007 I would have your dealer or what you consider a honest dealer look at your car because you definately should get better mileage than what yo are getting. My 2010 gets poor mileage in the city and winter but take it for a trip on the highway and I am very happy (see my earlier post).

Terry

Edited by Windancer

Nope - the only reason you would likely get better mileage with high octane fuel in an engine that doesn't require it would be that it has no ethanol, something that a dwindling number of stations provide.

http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0210-paying-premium-high-octane-gasoline

I'm already aware of the information on that page and what octane means, and I'm sure the lack of ethanol helps (do any metropolitan stations offer ethanol-free fuel anymore?). I have seen data collected by hypermilers, people who go out of their way to eek out every millimeter they can from a gallon, and reducing the cents-per-mile cost of their car, supporting premium octane fuels performing better, though the improvement is far too small to be worth the price increase. I have seen no data supporting the claim that premium fuel results in lower economy when it isn't called for. Do you have that data to share?

There have been a number of riders in a group I host on Facebook who have done extensive testing on the platform who report that in fact 10% ethanol negatively impacts mileage by about 16% and that they get about 2% lower MPG with high octane than regular, both with ethanol.

Are you certain about that statement about fuel grades used in testing? Because running higher octane fuels than the system requires results in lower fuel economy . . . . .

My mother bought a 15 Ford Edge, it said tested with 93 octane but nowhere did it say that it requires 93 octane for regular use, I'm going to try and find the paper that says it. I know it's Ford and this is Dodge but it's still has some similar aspects

My mother bought a 15 Ford Edge, it said tested with 93 octane but nowhere did it say that it requires 93 octane for regular use, I'm going to try and find the paper that says it. I know it's Ford and this is Dodge but it's still has some similar aspects

It has the EcoBoost engine doesn't it? It sounds like it I work for Ford and all EcoBoost engines would be tested with 93 only because it has a turbo

If they recommend premium, it will be stated inside the gas door or on the gas cap. My Eclipse is that way. It will run on regular, but there is a sticker inside the gas door that says "Premium gas recommended". It is tuned to run best on premium from the factory. From what I've read, the ecoboost does recommend premium gas.

• 2 weeks later...

Just returned from 5 days of travel in southern Ontario

Windsor and Wallaceburg with some local driving and the

L/100km/mpg is still great after 4 yrs on the road.

On the 401 expressway as low as 8.1L100km (29.0 US)

filled up put it into Fuelly and this is what worked out to

after the round trip.

post-4280-0-09892000-1442675368_thumb.gi