Fuel Economy

Journeyman425

Well, I've got just over 10,000 km on my 6 cylinder 2013 SXT now... I don't exactly drive it that delicately.

I use the "Fuel Log" app on my Android Phone... My average fuel consumption is 15.47 L/100 km, the best was last weekend on my first long distance highway trip at 10.49 L/100 km, and the worst was this past Winter with idling and such at 20.91 L/100 km.

I and my son made trek down to New Hamburg Ontario from Burlington

yesterday to attend the annual MOPARFEST gathering and despite the

intermittent light rain it is again the largest in the country with about 1200

cars - having said that we used expressway and rural roads for 377 km

and averaged by EVIC and hand calc 9.2 l/100km at speeds between

50 to 120 km per hour.

• 3 weeks later...

Just returned from 6 day road trip to the Wallaceburg - Windsor.

Filled up in Wallaceburg then on to Windsor then back to Burlington

all on the same tank of gas , filled up upon return home with Evic

showing 8.4L/100 kms and DTE now showing 918 kms all at 105 to 135 kms/hour.

Posted pic of evic in my gallery.

post-4280-0-48438000-1410089453_thumb.pn

Edited by bigtsr

It varies. My 2014 AWD 3.6 (5700 miles so far) typically gets 16-17 MPG on my daily commute, which is 100% stop-and-go for three miles one-way, with a lot of idling. I go through six lights, and 3-4 of them usually have 5+ cycles that I have to sit through. The other two I always have to stop for the red at least once. Brutal on fuel economy.

I drove to Frankenmuth, MI last wednesday, and after setting cruise control to 70 MPH and resetting the EVIC at speed on the highway, I was able to consistently get over 30 MPG. Round trip mileage was 28 MPG. 140 mile trip, including some country 55 MPH driving and a few miles through the small village itself at low speed. Not bad at all. My historical average since purchase in May is 19.06 MPG, having tracked 3154 miles so far.

My fuel mileage on my 2009 dodge journey is horrible city is 14 or 15 and highway is 16 to 18

I have the 2009 w/ 6 cyl, recently drove from Chicago to atlanta to memphis and south to batesville, ms. and returned to chcago. I departed chicago at 14mpg and returned at 27.0. city is mostly 13 to 17. hwy was at least 24mpg. speed was 75-85.

Picked up a brand new Journey Crossroad FWD with the 3.6 Wed and headed out on a 1200 mile round trip road trip Thursday. Had 4 adults with luggage strapped to the top in a soft carrier over mostly relatively flat terrain averaging 75mph and according to the EVIC only averaged about 21 mpg and at times was at 19 mpg. I was disappointed to say the least, thought it would get at least close to the EPA listing of 26. Should the mileage improve as it "ages" a little? Did others get poor mileage when new?

Not sure if anyone else has tested the evic mpg Avg but it's always off on mine, shows higher than what you actually get! This was tested by top off and reset the trip, plus backed up by GPS trip. It's close but not 100% accurate.

Before giving my avenger to my wife I used to manually track it... Stopped when I bought this. You've peaked my interest, I am going to check the next few fill ups to see where we are at.

Not sure if anyone else has tested the evic mpg Avg but it's always off on mine, shows higher than what you actually get! This was tested by top off and reset the trip, plus backed up by GPS trip. It's close but not 100% accurate.

I have a 2010 Dodge Journey R/T AWD and the EVIC is always out, since day 1 I have always religiously kept track on my fuelly on both my vehicles. The results can be seen below.

Terry

I wonder if the back carriers that hook up to the hitch would be better for fuel economy than the rooftop carriers? You would think so since the luggage is out of the windstream at least. Something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Series-63153-Mounted-Carrier/dp/B001G4Z5J0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1410820141&sr=8-2&keywords=hitch+luggage+racks

I wonder if the back carriers that hook up to the hitch would be better for fuel economy than the rooftop carriers? You would think so since the luggage is out of the windstream at least. Something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Series-63153-Mounted-Carrier/dp/B001G4Z5J0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1410820141&sr=8-2&keywords=hitch+luggage+racks

Those would still cause air turbulence, but it would be greatly reduced...

Added weight kills mileage also

True... I don't know what kind of roof carrier was used, but I would assume the hard plastic ones with the smooth transition in front would be your best bet. I think you can only put 100lbs on the roof rack though, so the rear holder may be the best bet for large loads regardless.

• 1 month later...

I just came back from a road trip. My journey avp now has a bit over 4000 miles. 2014. We drove from Washington state to Hollywood/LA to Anaheim/Disneyland, back and forth for a few days, then to Reno, NV back to Washington State. I call my AVP my little engine that could. Maybe the AVP wasn't made for crossing the mountains. Probably better to purchase if your not doing too much traveling, nevertheless, I got awesome gas mileage! Journeyman is correct for I was surprised when I looked and saw 28.9 mpg! I took advantage of it and ran it to almost empty. Got about 530 miles. Yay! I stayed between 68 & 70. However going down hill it didn't seem to matter? Thank goodness for cruise control! Love my AVP aka little engine that could!

• 2 weeks later...

I just posted my 12-month ownership experience in which I complained about averaging 16.83 l/100 km (17 mpg) average for just under 7,000 kms of driving, mostly city. I do not idle, warm up my vehicle excessively, keep to posted speed limits, and check tire pressure regularly. I have had one oil change since purchasing the vehicle. With the return to winter here in the eastern prairies, I am now seeing my fuel economy decline to over 18 l/100 km [<16 mpg]. Our government's EnerGuide says I should be getting 13 l/100 km(22 mpg) and 8.4 l/100 km (34 mpg) with the AWD. Either we've been greatly misled or someone has been screwing with the fuel economy claims. I track my vehicle expenses and fuel consumption using CarCare, a Windows program.

Does anyone have similar issues with a '13 Journey AWD?

Bill

I always keep my EVIC set to the fuel economy display. Driving the loop around Columbus, OH, last July, with less than 1,000 miles on the odometer, two people on board, no luggage, cruise set for 75 mph, it read a constant 36.5 and would go up and down a little, depending on the terrain.

Bill, if you were able to test your DJ the same way they do their tests you would probably get "close" to their specs. Normal driving it 's not going to happen. I have a 2011 with 3.6 fwd and in winter with remote starts when it is below -30 I get about 13.6l/100km. Took a trip last Aug. to Northern Manitoba up by Thompson and did 8.3 to 9.1l/100km, dependent on terrain. I figure I get good mileage, now if I could only keep my foot out of it and save my front tires!

I just posted my 12-month ownership experience in which I complained about averaging 16.83 l/100 km (17 mpg) average for just under 7,000 kms of driving, mostly city. I do not idle, warm up my vehicle excessively, keep to posted speed limits, and check tire pressure regularly. I have had one oil change since purchasing the vehicle. With the return to winter here in the eastern prairies, I am now seeing my fuel economy decline to over 18 l/100 km [<16 mpg]. Our government's EnerGuide says I should be getting 13 l/100 km(22 mpg) and 8.4 l/100 km (34 mpg) with the AWD. Either we've been greatly misled or someone has been screwing with the fuel economy claims. I track my vehicle expenses and fuel consumption using CarCare, a Windows program.

Bill

Had to do the math real quick... at 7,000km you are at about 4,300 miles. You will likely start to see better mileage as you close in on the 8,000mi mark (~13,000km). I have seen this on my last two new vehicles (both Dodges).

Edited by Lobitz68

• Official Dodge Support

Bill

cruisinbill,

Lobitz68 brings up a good point, your vehicle does have a break-in period for the engine and internal components.

Although your fuel economy will be less than average during the colder winter months, you'll be seeing improvements once the engine is broken in.

• 3 weeks later...