Fuel Economy

Journeyman425

Just checked it, it's up to 26.4L/100kms. It's been cold here lately and I think the remote starter has been killing it. This thing really burns gas at idle.

That's still quite high IMO, mine is around 18.8 at the moment but you are right idling will usually boost mine anywhere from 2-2.5 l/km.

Terry

It's been cold here lately and I think the remote starter has been killing it.

Absolutely. I am a real sucker for remote start, especially the Journey when you get in it and the seat and steering wheel are warm. I use it constantly, and yes, our average fuel economy is off at least 4 mpg from the summertime. Remember: at idle, your vehicle is achieving zero miles per gallon. I don't care, though - I HATE a cold car. If I can't have it clean, at least let me have it warm!!

The best thing for cold weather fuel economy is to let the engine run for about 30 seconds after a cold start, then drive slowly to moderately for the first few miles. The engine will wam up quickest this way and burn the least amount of fuel, relatively speaking. I know this, but I just can't stand getting into a cold car, so I remote start like there's no tomorrow...

My routine is I start it in the cold (and it been freakin' cold this year) and give it about a minute or two of idling, then I drive slowly until it reaches full operating temperature at that point I turn on the heat.....don't ask why I do this but its a habit I got into and I feel that I put less stress on the vehicle when cold and wasting less gas.

• 3 weeks later...

I just bought a 2013 DJ with a 6 cylander. My wife drove 250 miles with the stability control on and got 23 mpg. i filled the tank and drove 250 miles with the stability control off and got 29 mpg. the vehicle drove just fine without the stability control on.

I just bought a 2013 DJ with a 6 cylander. My wife drove 250 miles with the stability control on and got 23 mpg. i filled the tank and drove 250 miles with the stability control off and got 29 mpg. the vehicle drove just fine without the stability control on.

Im speechless.... never heard of this. Interesting. Anyone else???

I went for my 2nd oil change @8600km. I ask them if i could have fuel consumption test because on my 25.2 L/100kms. I find it too much and not normal compare to other journeys with same year and model(2012 R/T). Dealership told me that they dont run consumption test until 20,000 kms as its the breaking-in period of the car. How true is this? Can anyone here justify?? Thanks in advance...

The fuel economy on my 2011 increased significantly after 8000 miles (12,800 km). I wouldn't do anything until after the engine is broken in and you have had a few warm months to really see what the score is. Also the winter formulation gasoline is not good for economy. I think I agree with your dealership's advise. Good Luck.

Peace.

My last vehicle (2012 Avenger) was the same... After my first oil change at ~8,000 miles, my mileage jumped significantly. Right now I have less than 1,000 miles on my DJ and I am getting right around 20 mpg mixed driving. Considering the winter gas, time spent idling in traffic due to snow covered rush hour roads and so on... I anticipate being much closer to 25 mpg this summer...

• 2 months later...

wow. we love everything about our Journey... EXCEPT the fuel economy. we bought an SXT with the four-banger, accepting that we'd have less power in exchange for better mpg, but we've never gotten close to the 26 highway mpg's we were led to believe we'd get :-(

but we've never gotten close to the 26 highway mpg's we were led to believe we'd get :-(

IMO I think the ratings given are bs crap and never reflect "real world driving." I am sure they do the ratings at sea level , no humidity, no wind, well maybe behind the vehicle and eggs under the accellerator. Personally I would find out an average for you and your type of driving and go with that. I have said it many times before, I am at 16L/100 kms. and I think that is a bit high but it seems to be my average.

Terry

Edited by Windancer

In my experience city driving will kill your mpg. 60% to 70% of my driving is on country roads with a 55 mph speed limit and I consistently average between 26 - 29 mpg. Last week, I was in Lexington, Ky for 4 days and my average fell to 22.1 mpg. I usually average 25.5 - 26.5 mpg on the interstate (70 - 75 mph).

IMO I think the ratings given are bs crap and never reflect "real world driving." I am sure they do the ratings at sea level , no humidity, no wind, well maybe behind the vehicle and eggs under the accellerator. Personally I would find out an average for you and your type of driving and go with that. I have said it many times before, I am at 16L/100 kms. and I think that is a bit high but it seems to be my average.

Terry

They don't actually test them for MPG's... It's a rating provided by a third party based on a calculation. I'm surprised that they are as close as they are to be honest.

They don't actually test them for MPG's... It's a rating provided by a third party based on a calculation. I'm surprised that they are as close as they are to be honest.

Thanks Lobitz68, I often wondered how "they" came up with those ratings, do you have any more info on this subject?

Terry

Thanks Lobitz68, I often wondered how "they" came up with those ratings, do you have any more info on this subject?

Terry

I stand corrected... sorry for the misinformation.

This article is very interesting and informative.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/the-truth-about-epa-city-highway-mpg-estimates