Fuel Economy

Journeyman425

I have never gotten my 11 R/T 3.6L under 20L/100kms. Only a few times i reset it while on the highway. Right now it's at 22.5L/100kms full city driving. I just realised thought that the last few oil changes I have been putting 4.5 qts of oil instead of 5.5. Could that cause the fuel economy to drop?

Same issue with fuel economy... Journey seems not really fine during winter in terms of fuel economy.. Mine is on 23.4L/100kms. 100% city drving. Oil lever is just right. Im expecting it to get worse on extreme winter here in saskatchewan!

Do you reset with every fill?

I do......I let My Fuelly figure out the overall mileage. I am going to repeat myself from an earlier post so I apologize in advance.

I have got a best of 9.3 L/100 kms., but I usually average middle 10's to low 11's on the highway and middle 15's around town but in the winter it has gone as high as 21. Once again you can look at the past 3 years of driving at: http://www.fuelly.co...ndancer/journey This to me is real world stuff because it includes warm up's in winter on our very cold days.

Terry

Edited by Windancer

I find it hard to fathom why the EVIC display (not hand calcs) for some

DJs is so poor with regard to L/100km.

I have to believe that both geographical area you drive in and your

personal driving styles lead to the poor showings , possibly the fact

that you have AWD is also a mitigating factor.

The best evic result I have had was a non stop 320 km drive on the

401 in cruise at 105kph with a good tailwind and the readout was

7.2 L/100km.

My driving is 95% city in and around the west end of Lake Ontario

(Hamilton-Burlington-Oakville) and never reads worse than 11.7 L/100km.

Makes me glad I have FWD only - of course I am an old guy and tend not race

around a lot.

Edited by bigtsr

Hey Terry after you get your federal seniors card it's legal.

Wes

To quote an old Jack Benny saying "you're only as old as you feel, right now I feel like a 30 year old, trouble is there is never a cute one around when you want one" :lol:

Terry

Edited by Windancer

Wes

To quote an old Jack Benny saying "you're only as old as you feel, right now I feel like a 30 year old, trouble is there is never a cute one around when you want one" :lol:

Terry

He also said trying to make love at 85 is like trying to shoot pool with a piece of spaghetti!

2011 Dodge Journey Owners Manual

Fluid & Capacities (Section 7) Page 503

Engine Oil with Filter

3.6L Engine (SAE 5W-30, API Certified) 6 Quarts 5.6 Liters

You can download owners manual here: http://www.dodge.com/en/owners/manuals/

OK thanks. So The Dodge Android app on my phone is full of crap... Anyway, would a quart and a half of missing oil affect fuel economy. I'm up to 24L/100kms in this thing with the cold weather. I should have kept the Grand cherokee 5.9L we had. It did 30L/100kms but at least it was paid and full insurance cost 350$ a year!

Wow that's high but you are not too far off from the Cherokee's fuel consumption so I would say that you need to either idle less when warming up the vehicle, change your driving habits, and/or make sure that you are travelling light......Is your area mountainous? I can see that also being a factor. All city driving would also give you poor fuel consumption but 24L/100km's is a lot.

I'm up to 24L/100kms in this thing with the cold weather.

I agree with Journey_SeXT, that is very high, too high in fact, right up there with Chris in Saskatoon. I am getting high 17's or low 18's and I feel that is too high. I live in Regina where warm ups are just a given. I would have your dealer look at it or the EVIC because something is definately wrong. I have mentioned it before but here is my complete gas mileage history since I bought the car. http://www.fuelly.com/driver/windancer/journey

Terry

Nope, all city and no mountains. I have taken it to the dealer and they did a test Dodge told them to do which involves driving the car on the highway (!). I told them what the hell is wrong with you people my highway economy is fine it's the city that's killing me. BTW, my wife drives it all the time and she doesn't have a heavy foot. I know it's not normal, you guys here know it's not normal even the dealer probably knows it's not normal but they did jack shit to fix it. But since the beginning I have been putting the wrong qty of oil in. Could that affect my fuel economy? Meaning the engine is a quart short of oil, could the economy be affected?

Edited by Defender007

But since the beginning I have been putting the wrong qty of oil in. Could that affect my fuel economy? Meaning the engine is a quart short of oil, could the economy be affected?

I'm no expert and don't profess to be, but I would expect that to be part of the problem.

Terry

Being 1 quart short of oil should have absolutely no bearing on the fuel consumption.

I'm not saying you're right or wrong, just out of curiosity......Why????? The level of lubrication is lowered, thus increasing friction, thus lowering fuel mileage.

Terry

Edited by Windancer

I'm not saying you're right or wrong, just out of curiosity......Why????? The level of lubrication is lowered, thus increasing friction, thus lowering fuel mileage.

Terry

The oil is distributed through the engine via the oil pump. As long as you are in the cross-hatches on the dip stick, there is absolutely no connection between the two. The engine could not suffer oil starvation by being down one quart.

• 2 months later...

What kind of driving are you doing.....City or Highway? Do you idle a lot? Are you in a cold climate area? Do you carry a lot of weight when driving? Are your tires inflated to proper level? Are you in a hilly area? Do you change your oil or service the vehicle frequently? Do you have a heavy foot when driving? Many factors can affect your fuel economy.

Edited by Journey_SeXT

Hey guys. I have a 2010 R/T and I noticed that in cold weather I get at about 18 mpg on the Hwy. I wake up for work and leave the house by 5 a.m. and leave work about 7:30 pm. The weather is usually identical at those times at about 30-40 degrees so I get about 18 mpg. I finally got to drive it in the middle of the day when its warmer at about 60-70 degrees and I got a woping 22mpg. Whats going on? Any tips? I drove it at 70 mph and 80 mph and it was the same thing fairly worse in the morning and better at noon.

• 2 weeks later...