Hi, we just bought a 2013 Dodge Journey SXT yesterday! So, the Journey we bought yesterday was a certified pre-owned vehicle. It only had 18,400 miles on it. It was a rental vehicle, and it has a 7 year, 100,000 mile warranty that started in 12.2012, which means we have about 6 years 4 months left. So it has the 283 HP 3.6L Pentastar V6 that features Flex Fuel that allow it to take Ethanol fuel. Here's my question...I was reading that there is no real standard for this fuel, so the only cons are that the Ethanol fuel might not perform as well as a gas engine and more importantly, certain cars that use Flex Fuel need some sort of Engine lubricant if you do use Ethanol with it.

Can anyone tell me if that's true. Do I need to put something special in it to use Ethanol? I really want to use this as I live in SoCal and the gas prices where we live are $3.86 (for lowest normal gas price 87 Octane) vs. $3.25 for Ethanol. Is there anything I should know about using Ethanol over gas? Do I need to use anything at all in order to use this fuel? Can anyone tell me if the performance is affected by using Ethanol and if so, then how much. I would like to see the pros and cons for it. Like I said earlier, the only cons that I read was Ethanol might not perform as well as regular gas and some engines require something special in order to use Ethanol.

Thanks in advance!

Straight from the 2013 DJ's owners manual:

Cruising Range
Because E-85 fuel contains less energy per gallon/liter
than gasoline, you will experience an increase in fuel
consumption. You can expect your miles per gallon
(mpg)/miles per liter and your driving range to decrease
by about 30%, compared to gasoline operation.

OK, thanks, I don't have the owner's manual yet. They are going to send us one, but I'll take your word for it. It doesn't sound like any real benefit then. The 70 cents or so I would save is negated with the higher fuel consumption. I guess that answers that question...thanks.

Personally I am not big on ethanol, in fact I often use Premium Gas on the highway, MY car seems to do much better when it comes to gas mileage, obviously you may be different.

Terry

So, are you saying 92 Octane gives you better gas mileage than, say 87 Octane? Would 89 Octane give decent performance? I'm looking for the best bang for the buck.

As stated in my owners manual your DJ uses 87 octane and higher octanes will offer no improvement whatsoever. Now, here in Canada or some parts of Canada our Shell V-power contains 0% ethanol which may give you a bit more mileage but IMO not enough to justify paying the extra money.

Edited by Journey_SeXT

• 3 weeks later...

So, are you saying 92 Octane gives you better gas mileage than, say 87 Octane? Would 89 Octane give decent performance? I'm looking for the best bang for the buck.

If I know I will be totally driving on the highway, I may use premium gas as my 2010 R/T AWD SEEMS to get better mileage than using regular but I don;t have enough trips to speak confidently on this.

Terry

E-85 ethanol, is a pipe dream started up by our goverment to help solve our fuel problems, the big problem with it that they are using corn to make it and that is not the best plant to use but suger cane and other plants dont grow here like they do in other parts of the world. ethanol gas needs to be one third of the cost of a gallon of reg gas to make up for the loss of performance and mpg to make it the same cost, only problem is they only discount it about 50 to 60 cents cheaper than reg gas. CNG is they way for us to get away from being dependent on gas and that wont happen for at least a couple of yrs. because they have to get enought fueling stations for it around the country enought so people will feel ok with it.to buy the cars that run on it. it is a cleaner and better way to power our future untill they get electric cars with a longer range of miles . also do not use ethanol in you car if it is NOT made to run on it, your car should say on the yellow gas cap that it is okay to use it. If it is not a flex fuel vec YOU WILL DAMAGE you engine no additive will prevent any damage to the engine not made to run it.....

• 1 month later...

Hello,

(just to present myself, i ordered a fiat freemont V6 AWD and i live on the border between france, switzerland and germany)

I am participating in quite a lot of european Fiat freemont forums, and we couldnt find answer to this very particular question:

our Fiat Freemont (dodge journey rebadged) are produced in toluca mexico, like yours,

lots of us ordered the AWD version with a V6 3.6L pentastar, anounced with 285HP

But, Fiat europe tells us our V6 3.6L pentastar AWD is not flexfuel/E85 compatible,

Now some of us are pouring E85 anyway in it, without problems so far...

The question is:

Are there any V6 3.6L pentastar AWD versions which really are not made for E85?,

or is it only fiat europe which is not enough motivated to legally certify their engines for E85?

thanks!