Roof weight limits w/ OEM mopar cross bars

mkatona

Hi all. Have a 2013 SXT 4 banger with factory installed roof rails. What is the roof weight limits using MOPAR OEM cross bars? I've searched a bit on line and hit around the 100lb mark.. Anyone have expirence and suggest what type of cargo carrier (ie: Bag or Box)? We will be driving from FL to Ohio for Christmas.

I don't know about the weight, but I am looking for a cargo box for mine , (thule, Yakima) but they are still pricey. most of the people I talked to say they hardly ever used them after they buy one. Try to find a place that rents them. They also would be able to tell you the weight limits.

From the owner's manual:

ROOF LUGGAGE RACK — IF EQUIPPED

The roof rack cross rails and side rails are designed to

carry cargo weight. The load must not exceed 150 lbs

(68 kg), and it should be distributed uniformly over the

cross rails. In addition, the roof rack does not increase the

total load carrying capacity of the vehicle. Be sure the

total load of cargo inside the vehicle plus that on the roof

rack does not exceed the maximum vehicle load capacity.

I don't know about the weight, but I am looking for a cargo box for mine , (thule, Yakima) but they are still pricey. most of the people I talked to say they hardly ever used them after they buy one. Try to find a place that rents them. They also would be able to tell you the weight limits.

I made a cargo rack for less than $30. If you are interested, I can post picks. Parts can be found at any Walmart. The only thing you need is factory rack attachments (Yakima,Thule,Mopar,etc). Mine are Yakima, so I got them at a Yakima dealer. It is just a rack, not a box.

Peace.

• 2 weeks later...

Last month my wife and I drove with my daughter, son-in-law and two grandkids to Sedona, Arizona for a week. I got the Mopar roof rack crossbars. An acquaintance loaned me a Thule Advernturer roof box. It looked like a casket on top of the car! It was so long I had to remove the rear antenna, and it was packed. No guessing the weight but I had nightmares of it flying off the roof of the car and causing a multicar collision on the highway. Fortunately we drove to Sedona and back - about 900 miles round trip - through the desert in triple digit heat with the air conditioning at high and the car packed to the gills with no mishaps. I am now looking for another roof box, as the one I borrowed was really it too long for the Journey, but if you attach your roof box securely and pack it with an even weight distribution you shouldn't have any problems. Have a great trip.