First vehicle purchase in Canada- seeking feedback on experience

Hi Everyone,

I'm a newbie here. I am looking to purchase my first vehicle here in Canada (originally from the US). It's been many years since I've purchased a vehicle and, being new to the "Canadian way" wanted to get your feedback on how I was treated by this dealership please. I've never owned a Dodge before and Hubby has had 6 new Rams in the last 10 yrs. His experience has been great, so I thought I'd look into the purchase of a Journey. Where I live, pricing is so much better in the bigger towns, which is about 2 hrs away from me. I've been doing my shopping online and negotiating with the dealers before I drive 2 hrs to visually inspect the vehicle. So, I have in writing, and email between myself and a Dodge dealer, where I stated "I am comfortable offering x amount of money, pending authorization upon my visual inspection." The dealership wrote back "OK, great! When can you come in!" So, before I leave I send another email to confirm that we still agree on offer, pending inspection so I don't have to drive 2 hrs only to get a different story. Dealership responds and writes "please call me so I explain to you how this process works". I gave the dealer a chance to explain the process via email and this is what they wrote back (word for word) "I need a commitment to purchase before I can take an offer to my manager. You can do that in person like you said or you can do that over email."

Now, I reiterated that I was serious and would put down a deposit, etc so they had my commitment to my offer, pending inspection. Dealer wrote back and stated that they could not accept my offer!

Now, I'm left feeling incredibly angry (to put it nicely) as it now appears that this dealer was just saying anything to get me to drive 2 hrs with no intent to even accept my offer, even after stating "OK". This is my first experience with Dodge and it's not giving me a good feeling. I called Dodge Canada customer care team and they really did not care. In fact, the rep stated to me "let me explain how this process works". So, is this what they are trying to tell me: That they encourage and find it acceptable for their dealer to say whatever it takes and however untrue to just to get their customers in the dealer's doors? How is this fair and how am I supposed to trust their dealers now? I am just so upset with their disregard and lack of professionalism and support from Dodge Canada. Has anyone else gone through similar experience?

I appreciate any feedback and allowing me the chance to vent! Thank you!

What if you dont like the vehicle?

You would have driven 2 hrs regardless, sadly you now reside in Canada where vehicle buying is a whole new ball game with respect to the USA

Be prepared to pay MORE for LESS

Thanks, Larry, for your reply! I do understand your point, and that was the chance I was willing to take as, at that point, we would have an agreed upon price (and I did state that was pending inspection). Otherwise, I had all the pictures and confirmed the options list. Which is why I would have fairly put down a deposit. I guess my issue is that I had acceptance, in writing, and then the story changed. I know it's not fair and that's "how the process goes" is what I've been hearing from others but for Dodge Canada to really not have any input and to come across as though they really didn't see anything wrong with the dealer lying to get you in their door.....that was really disheartening. You are very correct, big different in price between the US and Canada. I can stomach that so long as the service and support is there.......and that's what I find negative about this experience with the Dodge brand as through their dealers. Anyway, thank you very much for offering your feedback and entertaining my "rant" for a bit. Have you had any pleasant experiences with any dealers out your way?

I can see your point of view in trying to look out for yourself. A 2 hr drive is a 2 hr drive.

But you need to be realistic about this. A dealer is t obligated to a free on an offer over email. That eliminates their ground for negotiation. You get there, and don't like the car, so now you ask a bigger discount.

Besides. Dealer emails are probably answered by someone who probably doesn't sell cars. Maybe the front desk secretary. All they are trying to do, I get you to come in. All dealers are in the same business, and that's to sell you a car.

It really isn't their concern how long you need to drive to get there.

Good luck on your hunt.