Suspension/lift kit for AWD?

Hi. I am interested in getting a suspension/lift kit for my 2010 SXT AWD. Is it possible to do this with the AWD system on the Journey, or could it cause malfunctions in the censors??? Also What types of hazards could it cause? Worsen gas milleage?? Etc. Also if someone has done this, can i please have some pictures? I have looked all over trying to find pictures of lifted dodge journey's. Also where could i go to find such products to modify my Journey? Please help!! Thanks :)

Don't imagine anyone has lifted a DJ AWD. AWD is not 4x4 and lifting the DJ wouldn't achieve any "functional" use, it already has all the ground clearance, IMHO, that an AWD vehicle needs (more than some AWDs out there). That is probably why you'll be hard put to find a "kit" for raising the DJ...no demand. As for getting a one-off done at a specialty shop, I suspect you'll find that the U-joints will give out fairly quickly with more than a 2" lift and a 2" lift will be prohibitively expensive, again IMHO, for what you'd be getting. I'll even go out on a limb and predict that any lift, over stock, will give the axles a fit since the car is CUV and engineered as a CUV and does not have the heavier duty 4x4 equipment (joints, bearings, torsional strength, etc.) that those type of vehicles have. The DJ is a cross-over vehicle, not an off-road vehicle and the engineering isn't there to make it one. You can lift for the "look", but, I think mechanically you'd be making a mistake. Just my take...

Edited by webslave

• 1 month later...

I've done some research on this as well, and haven't come up with much.

It isn't that it isn't possible, it's just that it isn't practical. There isn't ANY demand whatsoever, so there are no kits available. And if you take it to a shop to have a custom lift kit put together, you're going to spend thousands of dollars for a 2" lift that really doesn't achieve anything.

I've been on other forums and seen some very unique lifted vehicles. One of them being a Jeep Compass lifted 4". It looked wicked.

The Compass is built on the Dodge Caliber platform, which is originally FWD-based, but available in AWD as well. If it's possible for the Caliber platform to be lifted, I'm positive it's possible for the Journey platform.

This is my own opinion, but I think the Journey is too low from the factory. I was parked next to a Ford Escape that sat higher than my Journey. My mother's FWD Toyota RAV4 sits higher than my Journey. Just about every other CUV in the segment sits higher than the Journey. They easily could have lifted it another 1"-2" from the factory without affecting any AWD components. And it would be nice if they offered a more rugged trim level, but I don't see them doing that with other options in the line up.

This is my own opinion, but I think the Journey is too low from the factory. I was parked next to a Ford Escape that sat higher than my Journey. My mother's FWD Toyota RAV4 sits higher than my Journey. Just about every other CUV in the segment sits higher than the Journey. They easily could have lifted it another 1"-2" from the factory without affecting any AWD components. And it would be nice if they offered a more rugged trim level, but I don't see them doing that with other options in the line up.

I'm not sure about other vehicles sitting higher. You may be right, but the DJ has nearly 8" of clearance. Pretty good for a "car". The question as to why Dodge would not lift the DJ further from the factory has a simple answer. On the same lot where the DJ is sold is a whole fleet of Jeep vehicles, all of which are intended, at least partially, for varying levels of off road use. There is no reason to equip the DJ for off road use. The aim of Dodge recently is to get back to its muscle/performance roots. While the Pentastar is no Hemi, it does give the DJ some muscle. Dodge is leaving the off-roading to Jeep and the top luxury for Chrysler.

Peace.

• 7 months later...

Just recently seen a DJ lifted. Was in discount tire and he lifted it do to him wanting larger and wider tires. Dont know the exact lift in inches but it looked pretty good.

As stated, it's not impossible, just impractical. Welcome to the forum Shannon!

• 11 months later...
  • 2 years later...