Code on my 2012 DJ: P0302 Cylinder #2 Misfire

So this code just popped up on our trip to San Diego. I've driven it about 200 miles (10 engine starts or so), and the code has remained there the entire time. 2012 3.6L engine. I guess it's time to take a trip to the dealer.

Have you guys heard of any other problems with cylinder #2? This past month or so the engine has been idling pretty rough in park or stopped at a red light. I also noticed when you let off the brake to let the car creep forward (but don't hit the gas) it starts rocking, almost like driving on a really bumpy road. It has driven just fine though once you get moving... Have any of you experienced this or heard of it?

I popped the engine cover off and man, that is a weird looking engine. I was going to check the spark plug at least, but I have no idea where they are even located! I work on a lot of cars, but have never seen an engine mounted that way.

I popped the engine cover off and man, that is a weird looking engine. I was going to check the spark plug at least, but I have no idea where they are even located! I work on a lot of cars, but have never seen an engine mounted that way.

I thought it was just me that couldn't find the plugs.

Earlier-build 3.6 Pentastar engines had an issue with cylinder head cooling and will occasionally burn a valve just enough to prevent it from fully seating, causing a misfire. The issue is well-documented with Chrysler and the remedy has been in production for quite some time now. All the basics should be checked, of course, but if they are all in order then a new head might be on tap for you. Get it checked out at your dealer at your earliest convenience.

I remember reading up on that somewhere. I thought it only applied to early 2011 engines though. Mine is a 2012 built in March or April I believe. I guess I'll let the dealer decide what is up though.

The check engine light actually went away today on its own, but the code still comes up when you scan it. Kind of wierd...

Got an appointment scheduled; dropping it off thursday morning. I'll see what happens after work. Having them checkout this problem, fix the fuel gauge TSB, fix the split HVAC vent issue, and the rough transmission shift TSB.

Now what are the rules with warranty work, and them providing a rental? Is it if they must keep the car for over 24 hours, they must provide a free rental vehicle? My wife and 2 kids need the vehicle friday morning is why I ask. And with 4 problems to fix, I imagine it'll be there a couple of days...

Most of the cylinder head issues were indeed 2011 units, but a few '12s trickled into the mix. There has been a huge production of 3.6 engines since it is available in almost everything Chrysler builds these days. Anyway, we'll see what your dealers' diagnostics bring.

Regarding warranty work: Loaner cars are not part of the overall warranty coverage. For the most part, it is strictly a dealer courtesy, but most will provide one upon request or by appointment. Are you returning to the selling dealer? You might call tomorrow and ask if they can arrange alternate transportation for you should your repairs stretch into Friday. The transmission issue is a software flash which does not take long to perform. Replacement of the HVAC vent also is not a big deal. The fuel pump module should take about 2 - 2.5 hrs to replace. If you need a head, figure a full day in the shop, and maybe a couple of hours in the next day depending on your techs' experience doing the job. If you don't need a head and the problem is readily repairable, then one day in the shop should be all that you need. Keep us posted.

That sucks, I thought I read that people on here were getting courtesy vehicles for vehicles that had to be worked on for greater than a day. Maybe that was part of the extended warranty package? Or do car insurance options provide that?

I'm not taking it to the selling dealer (they are 2 hours away). I'll chat with them when I drop the car off thursday morning to see if they can hook me up.

That sucks, I thought I read that people on here were getting courtesy vehicles for vehicles that had to be worked on for greater than a day. Maybe that was part of the extended warranty package? Or do car insurance options provide that? I'm not taking it to the selling dealer (they are 2 hours away). I'll chat with them when I drop the car off thursday morning to see if they can hook me up.

It all depends on the dealer. Some will offer a loaner car to you; others require an appointment, some only provide to customers who purchase from them. Chrysler Service Contracts do have a rental provision for covered repairs - usually $30.00 / day (my Lifetime Max Care is now up to $35.00 / day) for up to five days. Rental is only covered if the repair is covered by the service contract, however. If your car is still in the 3/36 basic warranty, then the contract does not yet come into play. There are certain instances where the vehicle might have a recall which is time-consuming or requires extensive diagnostic time before a part can be ordered and a loaner/rental is pre-authorized by Chrysler in the labor operation number for the recall. Otherwise, rental coverage is generally excluded from the warranty policy. Call the dealer first and see what arrangements can be made.

Just dropped my baby off to the dealer...I hate taking it there. Makes me feel so lonesome and separated! They seemed well aware of the common problems with the DJ (misfire Cylinder #2, A/C vent split issue, fuel tank not filling up, and rough transmission shifts).

They did say they would provide a rental for free if it was required.

Well it was a bad head...valves wouldn't hold compression in cylinder #2. But the head is on backorder so it'll be a couple of weeks. But the new transmission flash is amazing!! Shifts are so freaking smooth now. They ran out of time to do the fuel mod SK that'll be next time with the head swap.

I had a feeling the head would be the diagnosis. We haven't seen any incidents of misfiring yet with the 3.6 for any other reason, but you just never know. Kind of surprised about the backorder situation; here on the east coast the heads have been readily available. We actually keep one in stock, although we've done less than a dozen head jobs since the 3.6 debuted in the 2011 Grand Cherokee. At least you know now that there is a resolution in sight for you. Glad the M38 flash helped smooth out your tranny.

• 3 weeks later...

I just got the check engine light with the same code showing up, and having the rough transmission shifts. I just got off the phone with the dealer, and they told me that TSB's are only covered under the 36,000 mile warranty, and I am at 39,000 miles. If that true??? That is absolutely ridiculous if that is the case. Faulty software is no different from faulty mechanical parts, and should be covered under the same warranty as the power train's 100,000 mile warranty. Anyway, all of the dealerships in Birmingham, AL are backed up with work, and appointments have to be made, to even be able to get your car in to be looked at. So this is getting kinda aggravating.

While it is true that TSB repairs are covered within the provisions of the warranty, your dealer can certainly be reimbursed from Chrysler for a reflash if your mileage is only 3000 over. Your vehicle is still within the 36 month time frame. The warranty does, in fact, state that it is either 36 months or 36K miles, whichever occurs first, but since you are well within the time limit and only over by a few thousand miles, coverage would be no problem.

The other, more pertinent point is this: If your vehicle qualifies for the M38 software reflash, then it is considered a Customer Satisfaction / Recall campaign and dealer reimbursement for the reflash would be a non-issue. PM your VIN to me if you like and I can easily check that for you.

With regard to the check engine light - if in fact you have a cylinder misfire due to a faulty head, that would be covered by the Powertrain Warranty which is 60 months or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first. In the meantime, make an appointment to have it checked out since there is a wait time due to their backlog.

Edited by Journeyman425

That's good to hear

Dealer finally got the head in. Got my appointment scheduled for tomorrow so we'll see how it goes!

That's good to hear! I talked to someone in the service center at Jim Burke Dodge in Birmingham today, and he was very helpful, and told me that they even have a deal worked out with Enterprise Rent-a-Car for $35/day rentals for any repairs, no matter what the warranty status is of the vehicle. He did recommend that I bring the Journey in first thing Monday morning, as that would be the best/fastest way for them to diagnose, order, receive, and install parts, for whatever the issue is, so that I would be without the Journey for as short a period of time as possible. So wish me luck guys!

Most of the cylinder head issues were indeed 2011 units, but a few '12s trickled into the mix. There has been a huge production of 3.6 engines since it is available in almost everything Chrysler builds these days. Anyway, we'll see what your dealers' diagnostics bring.

Regarding warranty work: Loaner cars are not part of the overall warranty coverage. For the most part, it is strictly a dealer courtesy, but most will provide one upon request or by appointment. Are you returning to the selling dealer? You might call tomorrow and ask if they can arrange alternate transportation for you should your repairs stretch into Friday. The transmission issue is a software flash which does not take long to perform. Replacement of the HVAC vent also is not a big deal. The fuel pump module should take about 2 - 2.5 hrs to replace. If you need a head, figure a full day in the shop, and maybe a couple of hours in the next day depending on your techs' experience doing the job. If you don't need a head and the problem is readily repairable, then one day in the shop should be all that you need. Keep us posted. WRONG if the repair takes over night they are req. to provide a loner under the warranty coverage

2late4u, where do you get that they are required to provide a loaner??? I am about to have to have my car at the dealer for a few days, and if that is the case, then I would like to know for sure if they are required to provide a loaner before I rent a car.

2late4u, where do you get that they are required to provide a loaner??? I am about to have to have my car at the dealer for a few days, and if that is the case, then I would like to know for sure if they are required to provide a loaner before I rent a car.

well my bad, i had read it somewhere in the chrysler litature but couldnt find it so i called my sales friend in cullman al. and he said only if you have bought the extended warranty that they had to provide a rental car if it was going to be over a 24 hr repair. but he pointed out to that they gave me a rental and all their other purchasers a rental because they want happy campers and returning car buyers to return to them when buying an other car. and they do take great care of you at their location in cullman al. i have bought many cars from them so i guess loyalty does pay off sometimes.... check with your dealership before you take it in if you think its going to take more than 1 day to fix it and hopefully they will take care of you if not try cullman dodge next time and ask for scotty in sales he will treat you right with no b. s. like some dealers try to pull over on you

well my bad, i had read it somewhere in the chrysler litature but couldnt find it so i called my sales friend in cullman al. and he said only if you have bought the extended warranty that they had to provide a rental car if it was going to be over a 24 hr repair. but he pointed out to that they gave me a rental and all their other purchasers a rental because they want happy campers and returning car buyers to return to them when buying an other car. and they do take great care of you at their location in cullman al. i have bought many cars from them so i guess loyalty does pay off sometimes.... check with your dealership before you take it in if you think its going to take more than 1 day to fix it and hopefully they will take care of you if not try cullman dodge next time and ask for scotty in sales he will treat you right with no b. s. like some dealers try to pull over on you

p. s. i live in hartselle al which is about 25 miles to cullman and there is a dealer (decatur) closer to me but i wont use them because they are deceptive and their service manager is a real dick.but have bought almost all my cars in cullman from scottty and i worked at the chrylser plant in huntsville, al for 28 yrs. till i retired 6 yrs ago....

When I dropped my DJ off yesterday they told it wouldn't be a problem at all to get me into a free rental car through Hertz. Since it's a manufactoring defect (not my fault at all), it would be covered. Then as I'm picking up the rental Dodge calls the rental company and says no, I have to pay for the rental out of pocket.

Even though I don't have extended warranty or rental coverage, is it still worth the effort to fight the $100 for a rental for a few days? Dodge screwed up on making a part, so I have to pay myself to have a vehicle for my wife and kids while I'm at work??? Seems like total bullcrap to me. I don't mind having to pay for the gas (50 miles) to drop the car off, but come on guys. Dodge screwed up making the part; this isn't my fault and I shouldn't have to pay a dime for anything to get it fixed. I'm going to fight it with the manager when I pick the car up.

Dodge will back the customer in this case since the head is a known problem. They want to minimize inconvenience to the customer so if a dealer loaner is not available, rental coverage can be authorized for a couple of days while this work is done. Respectfully request that the dealership cover the rental cost for you. If they do not oblige, contact customer service @ 1-800-992-1997 and request reimbursement.

Dodge will back the customer in this case since the head is a known problem. They want to minimize inconvenience to the customer so if a dealer loaner is not available, rental coverage can be authorized for a couple of days while this work is done. Respectfully request that the dealership cover the rental cost for you. If they do not oblige, contact customer service @ 1-800-992-1997 and request reimbursement.

This is good info to hear. Thank you very much for offering the information that you offer to us. The dealer that I work with (Jim Burke) in Birmingham, AL has a rental discount set up with Enterprise, but I do feel that with this issue being a warranty coverage issue, that I shouldn't have to pay out of pocket just to have a vehicle to drive while the Journey is in the shop.

When I took in my grand caravan in for the same issue you're having, and they kept it for a week and a half, they provided rental reimbursement.

Just call the Chrysler customer #, and ask them for a loaner, they'll tell you they don't do that, and probably offer you the reimbursement option.

Edited by Mcgusto82