Changing the Battery

crh47

Left the lights on this weekend. Went to jump it off, and for the first time I realized that the battery is in the wheel well. How in the world are you supposed to get to it to change it?

Left wheel has to come off then there is a cover on the fender wall that removes for access if I looked at it right-a nightmare no doubt

Left wheel has to come off then there is a cover on the fender wall that removes for access if I looked at it right-a nightmare no doubt

Hi,

If you look in the manual it says to crank the wheel hard right to access the battery panel for maintenance. Hope I never have to. But you can jump the battery on the posts provided on the right firewall without going directly to the battery.

Wild Bill

• 5 years later...
  • 4 months later...

Mine is just over 3 yrs old and after a few days with temps in the mid-90s the battery died, fortunately in the driveway. Just for information you need 3 tools. A 10mm wrench, a 13mm wrench and a plastic plug remover tool like this:

tool.jpg

You have to jack the car up and remove the driver side front tire first, then use the tool to remove the plugs that hold in the panel, remove the bracket that holds the battery down (13mm) and then loosen the terminal screws (10mm). It's a pain but it's a pretty straightforward job.

• 2 years later...

About 2 weeks after the Journey came off the lot to our home it wouldn't start and found loose and corroded battery terminals. I would have taken it to the dealer to fix just on principle...but obviously it wasn't going anywhere until it was fixed. Now, Ive been a mechanic all of my life and well within my capabilities. But after realizing what I had to do to get to the terminals I almost had it towed I was so mad! Wife needed the car and was in a hurry. What a PITA it was just to clean and retighten battery terminals!

well my daughter just came over ans said her van battery is dead, so i had been planning on putting a new battery in my 2014 and then she can have my old one maybe she will get couple of yrs out of it. this size battery is kind of hard to find group 86 Walmart doesn't carry it  and most of the auto stores only have 2 yr free replacement warranty they have dropped the 3 yr one,called Costco they have interstate but they said they dont sell one for journeys so i told then the size and he said yea your right but we dont sell that size no more, Sams club has a Duracell 3 yr for $110. so guess ill order it there just have to drive over to pick it up,i have an old battery as a spare so wont have to worry about the core charge. Firestone has an interstate battery for $128. but it is only a 2 yr warranty actual the Sams battery has the highest cca  ratting, What  rec. do you all have we dont have real cold weather but a lot of high heat during the summer

15 hours ago, Browneyesvictim said:

About 2 weeks after the Journey came off the lot to our home it wouldn't start and found loose and corroded battery terminals. I would have taken it to the dealer to fix just on principle...but obviously it wasn't going anywhere until it was fixed. Now, Ive been a mechanic all of my life and well within my capabilities. But after realizing what I had to do to get to the terminals I almost had it towed I was so mad! Wife needed the car and was in a hurry. What a PITA it was just to clean and retighten battery terminals!

It's only going to get worse as vehicle manufacturers try to find different ways to save space, monkey with weight distribution, etc. Journey's are not the only ones with batteries located there. First world problems. At least you have food on your table and a roof over your head (I hope). 

My kid's Pontiac G5 has the best battery placement; just at the rear of the trunk under a beauty cover.  It protects the battery and the connections from salt and other corrosive elements and temperature is moderated because it's inside the vehicle.  The battery has lasted 7 years there.

It certainly wouldn't have been difficult to invert the stamping for the floor of the vehicle so that the spare would be in the vehicle (negating the need for the winch, along the way) and making room for the battery as well . . . .

Edited by bramfrank

48 minutes ago, jkeaton said:

It's only going to get worse as vehicle manufacturers try to find different ways to save space, monkey with weight distribution, etc. Journey's are not the only ones with batteries located there. First world problems. At least you have food on your table and a roof over your head (I hope). 

I was just going to say... I can definitely think of a few other places where it should go than where its at!

In fact, That hatch under the rear floorboard would be ideal! I might have half a mind to move it there!

23 hours ago, 2late4u said:

well my daughter just came over ans said her van battery is dead, so i had been planning on putting a new battery in my 2014 and then she can have my old one maybe she will get couple of yrs out of it. this size battery is kind of hard to find group 86 Walmart doesn't carry it  and most of the auto stores only have 2 yr free replacement warranty they have dropped the 3 yr one,called Costco they have interstate but they said they dont sell one for journeys so i told then the size and he said yea your right but we dont sell that size no more, Sams club has a Duracell 3 yr for $110. so guess ill order it there just have to drive over to pick it up,i have an old battery as a spare so wont have to worry about the core charge. Firestone has an interstate battery for $128. but it is only a 2 yr warranty actual the Sams battery has the highest cca  ratting, What  rec. do you all have we dont have real cold weather but a lot of high heat during the summer

well bought a Duracell gold 3 yr free replacement battery from batter plus bulbs cost me about $110 with discount ordering on line and will get $10 rebate thur the mail so about $100 total, they had a Duracell agm battery comes with a 4 yr  free warranty but didnt have it in stock cost about $190. but is supposed to be a really great battery. well got home removed the wheel then removed all the plastic push pins undid the battery positive  side it is easy to get to. not so easy to get to the negative has a different bolt that connects from the motor side at an angle from the top got it loose, then removed the battery tie down on the back side but the front side of the tie down stays hooked so its a bitch to push up and slide out the battery, then cleaned the tray up some and reinstalled everything and sprayed on some terminal protection and started the car up works great, so then go back to reinstall all the inner fender flaps and pins some were bad shape so lucky i had worked at Chrysler van plant so i found some new pins that worked, put the wheel back on everything works great had to readjust the clock,  that was all there. most places i checked that would install their battery wanted at least $50. for the install ,almost worth it if the weather had been bad but i caught  a pretty day about 50 degrees 

Edited by 2late4u