which journey is the best to buy

Hey all,

I'm new here and we are looking to purchase a dodge journey but not sure which ones would be the best for us. looking at years 2011-2013. Im new to dodge and never owned one before. Def needing the 7 seater option for the kids but also needing to tow a horse float (trailer) for a 3/4 clydesdale so i need to be able to have alot of power and good torc (or however you spell it) as he is a heavy horse. Here in NZ there is about a $10k difference in price between the SXT and the RT but i cant see how they are really different. Any advice on the best year to buy and things to look out for when buying them would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers guys

The 2011 has the best tow rating, at 3500lbs. That's with the 3.6 v6. Not sure what engine sizes are avail over there.

2012 & 2013 have a lower tow rating at 2500$

I have been trying to look into why this is and I cant seem to find a good answer. I have been told by DODGECACARES that it has to do with engines overheating thus the decrease so I wouldnt push any DJ into the 3500lbs range to be safe. I dont really think any crossover type vehicles like the DJ carry high towing capacity ratings and have the third row....

thanks guys, Diesel (the horse) is about 800kg (sorry i don't know what that is in lbs) he would only be towed by himself no other horses. and i think a float is about 1000kg. I did see something about the change in towing capacity from the 2011 to the 2012-13 and would err on the side of caution if i did get a 2011. The towing would not be often maybe 10 times a year max. we were looking at the 3.6L V6 as we will need the power.

I'm not sure the Journey would be able to handle that big a load. The towing capacity is 2500 pounds max. How much weight are you talkng about?

I agree Rolly that might be somewhat beyond a Journey, which brings me to the age old question my 2010 DJ says I have a 3500 lbs towing capacity, does anybody have some insight on this??? Dodge Cares or Dodge Ca Cares??

Terry

146733255.jpg

Edited by Windancer

• Official Dodge Support
I agree Rolly that might be somewhat beyond a Journey, which brings me to the age old question my 2010 DJ says I have a 3500 lbs towing capacity, does anybody have some insight on this??? Dodge Cares or Dodge Ca Cares??

Terry

I show the towing capacity for the 2010 Journeys with the 3.5 as 3500 pounds. As far as why it is different than the newer models, I believe that is because it has a different engine in the 2010's than the newer lineup.

I show the towing capacity for the 2010 Journeys with the 3.5 as 3500 pounds. As far as why it is different than the newer models, I believe that is because it has a different engine in the 2010's than the newer lineup.

Interesting..... I know I have only towed my 17' boat and my two kayaks, so I have never "put it to the test"

Terry

145771081.jpg

Edited by Windancer

that doesnt make sense as the newer DJ have a 3.6 compared to the 2009/10 DJ and its 3.5. So in theory the newer journeys should have a higher towing rating given the bigger motor, be it not by much, but at least the same towing capacity, is there a concrete answer as to why they are now rated at 2500 LBS ????

It's Defenately not an engine limitation.

The same 3.6 pulls over 5000lbs on the Durango, and the grand caravan pulls 3500lbs w/ same engine and tranny.

The engine bay isn't over crowded as compared to the caravan, so I don't think it's a heat issue either.

It's got to be chassis limitation. Maybe the suspension can't handle it.

On another note, is the Durango available in NZ? I'd look at that. It's avail w/3 row, tows 5000+ lbs, and has the same v6 standard.

It's Defenately not an engine limitation.

The same 3.6 pulls over 5000lbs on the Durango, and the grand caravan pulls 3500lbs w/ same engine and tranny.

The engine bay isn't over crowded as compared to the caravan, so I don't think it's a heat issue either.

It's got to be chassis limitation. Maybe the suspension can't handle it.

On another note, is the Durango available in NZ? I'd look at that. It's avail w/3 row, tows 5000+ lbs, and has the same v6 standard.

McGusto, I think you might be right about the suspension because they did make changes to the suspension. I also agree that it can't be a cooling issue because the coolant capacity was increased for the 3.6 versus the 3.5 on the 2010 Journey.

• Official Dodge Support

Many things determine the tow ratings. I used the change in engine as an example (perhaps a bad example) because many things can impact tow ratings such as suspension, tire size, gearing, tuning, wheel base etc... When changes occur, towing rating can be impacted. You cannot simply look at horsepower ratings and determine the tow rating.

Edited by DodgeCares

Many things determine the tow ratings. I used the change in engine as an example (perhaps a bad example) because many things can impact tow ratings such as suspension, tire size, gearing, tuning, wheel base etc... When changes occur, towing rating can be impacted. You cannot simply look at horsepower ratings and determine the tow rating.

In this case if the vehicle was standard as in standard specs would it be suitable to tow this weight of roughly 1800kg? would the engine overheat from the weight? i had a toyota prado that towed it fine but unsure as to if the DJ would be the same. Like I said before the max towing amount would be roughly 10x per year and not on over hilly terrain?

Sounds like a new Dodge Ram is what you need. Love the Journey but not really a car made for towing and hauling. The Ram however will pull all you need and then some. I pull a 6000lb camper with my 08 Ram "no problem".

i would love to have one of these however bank account says no

• Official Dodge Support
In this case if the vehicle was standard as in standard specs would it be suitable to tow this weight of roughly 1800kg? would the engine overheat from the weight? i had a toyota prado that towed it fine but unsure as to if the DJ would be the same. Like I said before the max towing amount would be roughly 10x per year and not on over hilly terrain?

I would suggest staying under the tow ratings of whatever vehicle and year you choose. Based on 1800kg, you exceed the Journey's tow rating be it 2500 or 3500 lbs. There is no way I would suggest pulling that amount of weight with the Journey.