Advice needed for new hitch/wiring install

ljo01

Hey guys. First time poster here. I'm getting ready to install an aftermarket hitch and wiring but after all the problems others have posted, I'm thinking of getting professional help. I've ordered a CURT Class II (model 123351) which doesn't look too difficult to install - I'm more concerned about the wiring.

The vehicle is a 2012 Journey SXT without the tow prep package. Do you think I should get the dealership to wire it or will and aftermarket harness from a trailer supplier work? Also, I think the SXT has the rear LED lights. Does this mean a dealer will have to do a computer flash anyway?

If I do get an aftermarket harness, any recommendations for which brand/model?

Thanks! I'm enjoying the car so far. Now I just need to be able to haul my motorcycle. :)

Check out the Curt T-Connector wiring harness #56154 http://www.curtmfg.com/part/56154 It is for Journeys with LED lights and without the trailer tow group. I found it here http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AN3PW3Y/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_9?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER for about $58. Also, from what I have read from others who installed hitches, you may want to purchase these http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0012S9A5U/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER to help you lower the exhaust.

Edited by DodgeFan72

the hitch itself is very easy to install... the hardest part is dropping the muffler mounts at the rear but bolting up is a snap, only took me about 2 hours by myself. My biggest concern with your setup is what are you going to be towing ?? without the tow prep package which includes an oil coole rto prevent the motor from overheating and is only rated at 1000 LBS.. If you were to get the oil cooler install aftermarket your towing capacity would jump to 2500 LBS, just something to concider. As far as the LED tail lights, it sounds like the problem existed on the 2011 when they first came out and have been fixed fro 2012 and up just make sure you get the correct wireharness for your year and you should be good, if not its a quick trip to the dealership to have the computer flashed...

Thanks for the replies. Looking at my spec sheet, I think I do have the oil cooler installed (maybe this is standard equipment on the SXT??) so that shouldn't be a problem. Anyways I'll only be pulling a light trailer (300lbs) plus a light-ish motorcycle (450lbs) so I'll definitely be within tolerance.

Edit: I don't actually have the build sheet but it lists the oil cooler on the Dodge Owner's site for my vehicle. I believe this is the same part as the whats included with the tow package.

Edited by ljo01

I have a 2013 SXT and had to order the trailer tow prep package to get the oil cooler (it didn't come standard). If you give DodgeCares your VIN number he can check it for you. He can also provide you with your build sheet.

Edited by rolly

Thanks I'll try that. Where I'm seeing it is on the owners site, under optional equipment: Engine Oil Cooler. Its the SXT AWD with the Flexible Seating and Popular Equipment packages. I think it may be part of the seating one as the description says Gross Vehicle Weight / Payload Rating. Maybe they add the oil cooler to handle the extra weight of the additional passengers?

Edit: Bah! You need 30 posts to send a PM. Never mind - I've submitted the request through the Dodge website.

Edited by ljo01

I just last weekend installed a Curt #13335 hitch (2" receiver) and T-connector #761053 wire harness on my 2013 DJ Crew. If you have basic skill it is not too difficult. Like was mentioned previously, the hardest part was dropping the exhaust system. The hitch just bolted straight up. I used the same hitch that I dropped off of my '09 DJ when I traded it in. The T-connector was easy as well. The tough part was crawling under the vehicle to run the power wire to the front. Did the whole job in a single afternoon.