Water in the muffler

ghostone

Hi All, I bought my 2009 Journey AWD V6 used about 2 months ago and noticed from day one that there was water on the garage floor under the right muffler (looking from the rear). Today decided to go under the car and clean out the drain hole that is on the underside of muffler/s towards the front of the vehicle.

Was I in for a surprise after using an awl to gently clear the small hole out on the muffler, a steady stream of water came out and was still draining "an hour" later, then took the Journey for a drive to warm up the engine/exhaust and then parked in the garage and it is still dripping out of that muffler, so how much water was in there? heaven knows.

So if any of you have the dripping under the muffler try opening up the clogged drain hole, the other muffler (left side) was fine just wet around the drain hole.

2009 SXT AWD Stone White 63,000 k/m = 39,000 miles

Thats interesting. I have noticed a few times since the weather has warmed up that I have water under the vehicle by both mufflers. Thought it was just condensation. My Journey is a 2012, but I think I will have a little looksee also.

You are right all cold engines put out water through the tailpipe outlet (hot exhaust, cold pipes, condensation) and the water that does not make it out the pipe drains from the bottom of the muffler, if muffler drain is 99% blocked the water builds up in the muffler and the tip-off is a constant drip from it/them 24/7 leaving a small puddle on the ground.

Where exactly is the drain hole?

The way I found the holes was to wipe off the bottom of the muffler and look to see where the water starts to seep out, the hole is flush drilled into the forward third of the muffler and would be hard to find if no water is present.

Hi All, I bought my 2009 Journey AWD V6 used about 2 months ago and noticed from day one that there was water on the garage floor under the right muffler (looking from the rear). Today decided to go under the car and clean out the drain hole that is on the underside of muffler/s towards the front of the vehicle.

Was I in for a surprise after using an awl to gently clear the small hole out on the muffler, a steady stream of water came out and was still draining "an hour" later, then took the Journey for a drive to warm up the engine/exhaust and then parked in the garage and it is still dripping out of that muffler, so how much water was in there? heaven knows.

So if any of you have the dripping under the muffler try opening up the clogged drain hole, the other muffler (left side) was fine just wet around the drain hole.

2009 SXT AWD Stone White 63,000 k/m = 39,000 miles

I switched from my winter tires back to the all-seasons and surprise, surprise.....water under the right muffler! Thanks for the tip. :)

NO NO,Don't drain the water from the mufflers.It's suppose to be there.It's when your stuck in no mans land after your Journrey overheats.You can drain your mufflers and fill your rad.I wish I had seen this thread April 1st. LOL.

• 5 months later...

The rear A/C evaporator is located behind the passenger side rear wheel and drains in the same general area as the exhaust. This is why many of you are seeing more water on the right side vs. left, or none at all on the left and only on the right.

Mine is always dripping on the left side! Hmmn ,, strange! I have to smell it.. Sometime have to taste it to make sure that its a plain water! :-) :-)

The rear A/C evaporator is located behind the passenger side rear wheel and drains in the same general area as the exhaust. This is why many of you are seeing more water on the right side vs. left, or none at all on the left and only on the right.

oh! that could be why i see water above the right side exhaust. But the question is i don't believe i had the A/C on today.. Then again i did have the Auto setting on. Could it have been kicking on the A/C?

• 1 month later...

When running your engine, whether it is gas, diesel, propane, or coal, you are burning hydrocarbons, and are producing water vapour out your exhaust.

If you notice water dripping out the drain hole in your muffler, or out the tailpipe, that is because your exhaust system is not up to operating temperature, and the water vapour is condensing inside the pipes, muffler, catalytic converter, etc.

When your exhaust is up to temp, all water present will be returned to vapour form and will be pushed out the tailpipe with the exhaust gases. It's not instantaneous, so any water that collects while the exhaust is heating will slowly evaporate as the pipes warm.

Short trips do not allow your exhaust to heat up enough, and idling in your driveway won't do it either, you need to actually drive your car for this to happen.

Now as far as 'cleaning' or 'widening' the hole in your muffler. DO NOT DO THIS. The exhaust system is supposed to carry exhaust gases past the 'inhabited space' of your vehicle. Opening this drain hole more, will allow more exhaust to escape under your vehicle where it MIGHT enter your vehicle interior for you to breathe.

If you wish to say you are only opening the hole 'a little bit' I will reply that's fine, you are only allowing 'a little bit more poison' into your car.

• 2 years later...

Hi all I am in South Africa and own a 2013 Dodge Journey 2.4L SXT.

I also noticed this leak and was told by the service centre that it is normal to drain out the water but what is worrying is that around this drip hole it looks like there is corrosion that has started.

It is still under warranty but dealer says its normal?

• 1 year later...

Code p0430.

Raise the vehicle upwards with a jack and let it drain.

make sure the holes are clean.

That would be why the Cadillac converter fails if not maintained.

Its always a good chance you are tricked into paying for something you don’t need. 

4 hours ago, CTTom said:

Code p0430.

Raise the vehicle upwards with a jack and let it drain.

make sure the holes are clean.

That would be why the Cadillac converter fails if not maintained.

Its always a good chance you are tricked into paying for something you don’t need. 

LOL...What???

Strangely it turned off after I lifted the vehicle and let the water pour out, which was a lot. 

I’m not saying it will work for you but it worked for me.

still there may be an issue why there’s so much water. Coolant may leak into the intake through bad gaskets? I’m losing coolant slowly with no leaks