Rear LED lights not working with towing wires

biohazard

Has the issue with the towing wireharness not being able to draw enough power to power the trailer lights been fixed in the 2013 DJ or do I need to talk to the dealship about fixing this ??? I have heard others having problems with thier trailer lights as the newer LED rear light harnesses do not draw enough power to power the trailer lights and they had to have their computer flashed to allow for more power draw, we will be picking up our new journey sometime int he next few days and was just wondering if i should be telling them about it before I pick it up...

Edited by biohazard

• 2 weeks later...

you need an adaptor to convert from LED to your trailer wires. You will need to run a power wire to the battery. go to etrailer.com and check for your year they will have a kit like what is in this link. I have done this to my 2011 Crew and it works great..

http://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Fit-Vehicle-Wiring/Dodge/Journey/2011/C56154.html?vehicleid=201113912

If your journey came with the towing package...you might need to get the dealership to do a flash update so the module will work...that was an ongoing issue with the 2011 - it was not plug and go like promised.

thats what i had heard, thats why i was wondering if they updated it for the 2013.... :)

just to update I was looking at the wire harness that came with my 2013 journey as we got the TOW PREP PACKAGE and noticed that the harness comes with all the necessary relays to bump up the power for the trailer lights. I think this was a flaw that was discovered when they first went to the LED lighting and corrected with this harness. Also the harness does not plug into the lights itself like my 2010 DJ but there is its own connection located at the rear of the car that bybass the lights all together. If i didnt have this harness it was going to cost me another 70 bux in parts to have the wiring done at a shop so if you have any possibility of wanting to tow the TOW PREP PACKAGE is well worth the money as you get all the proper relays along with the extra oil cooler...

• 2 weeks later...

The wiring harness for the tow prep package was in the back of my DJ when I picked it up. I looked at the instructions which said you needed to pull,the rear fascia to install it. Crawled under the car to take a look, no need to pull bumper. Installation was 10 minutes, all clips etc line up with factory holes. Got the dealer to flash the computer when I brought it in for an oil change. Lights all work fine.

The wiring harness for the tow prep package was in the back of my DJ when I picked it up. I looked at the instructions which said you needed to pull,the rear fascia to install it. Crawled under the car to take a look, no need to pull bumper. Installation was 10 minutes, all clips etc line up with factory holes. Got the dealer to flash the computer when I brought it in for an oil change. Lights all work fine.

yeah when we first got our 2010 DJ I was scared when the instructions told you to remove the bumper but one look under tells a different story :)... you mention that you had to flash the computer ??? the wire harness that came with my 2013 DJ has the relays to allow the trailer lights to work so I was just wondering what they flashed ??

When I installed the harness I checked the 4 pin flat connector for the trailer and it had no power at any of the terminals. Dealer said the flash tells the computer that the harness is there and it basically activates the newly installed harness. Didn't charge me anything, had it done at oil change time.

When I installed the harness I checked the 4 pin flat connector for the trailer and it had no power at any of the terminals. Dealer said the flash tells the computer that the harness is there and it basically activates the newly installed harness. Didn't charge me anything, had it done at oil change time.

alright cool, ill keep that in mind if i have any trouble before I start to pull my hair out wondering what i did wrong...lol

I guess I will find out this weekend. I will be installing the wiring and hitch this weekend. Spoke with the tech at the hitch shop and so far has not had to do a flash on any Journey and they have done several. Fingers crossed. :shades:

Well; all done. Installed the trailer hitch that I dropped off of my old '09 DJ and reinstalled on our new 2013 DJ Crew. Bolted right up. Installed wire harness (T-Connector kit #761053) and all is good. Trailer lights work as they should. No need to have it flashed. Hardest part was routing the power wire all the way to the front and hook up to the battery. Would have been nice to have a hoist instead of jack stands and crawling around on my back. Other than that went very well.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hooked up my harness and hitch today but I guess I'm gonna have to get the flash done because I have nothing!I

I ordered my 2013 Crew with the Trailer Tow Prep group, sales code AHT. We installed a Mopar hitch when the car arrived at the dealership and connected the supplied wiring harness to the wiring which was installed at the factory. No power to trailer harness. In order to enable the trailer harness, we had to add sales code AHC (Trailer Tow Group) to the vehicle configuration as per Chrysler, then reconfigure the vehicle to see the wiring installation. Tested wiring and all is working. Connected camper and everything works. Here is the document:

LLC Version 1

Case Number: S1108000077

Release Date: 11/04/2011

Symptom/Vehicle Issue:

Trailer Tow Wiring Is Inoperative

Diagnosis:

If vehicle has trailer tow group AHT and the trailer tow wiring harness is inoperative, you need to add

a sales code (AHC).

Repair Procedure:

Go to Dealer Connect, Service Tab, Global Claims System, Vehicle Option, Add a Sales

Code and enter vin, then

select “AHC Trailer Tow” and then select add, then hit the save

button.

Now perform a vehicle restore configuration with the WiTech.

Verification:

Verify trailer tow wiring is working.