Upgrade to Uconnect 8.4 or aftermarket Navigation system?

hi you will need:

8.4 screen

8.4 nav receiver (rb5 or re6)

8.4 nav BEZEL. Instrument Panel. Center. . A/C controler whit the SD card slot (make sur you have the auto button factory on your car)

the difference between rb5 and re6 is the re6 as a integrate hard drive (hdd)

check out my youtube video will explain what fit on your car

I have a 2012 Journey Crew with satellite radio and the smaller info screen. Would these two items be all I need to upgrade to the 8.4" screen w/ Nav? Thanks!

2012 GPS/TV Screen/Info Center Dodge Journey

DISPLAY W-NAV2012 Radio Dodge Journey

AM FM MP3 DVD NAV RBS OPTION

Also, what is the difference between these two items?

receiver, navigation, AM-FM-CD-DVD-MP3-HDD-navigation-WMA (RE6)

receiver, navigation, AM-FM-CD-DVD-MP3-navigation (RB5)

hi you will need:

8.4 screen

8.4 nav receiver (rb5 or re6)

8.4 nav BEZEL. Instrument Panel. Center. . A/C controler whit the SD card slot (make sur you have the auto button factory on your car)

the difference between rb5 and re6 is the re6 as a integrate hard drive (hdd)

check out my youtube video will explain what fit on your car

ya and MAKE SURE you have the right part number for the 8.4 nav ugrade

Thanks for all the info Ducati.. Is it worth getting the re6 (with the hdd) over the rb5? What does the HDD do?

not worth the extra money

the hdd is to store music in the radio but with the sd card slot it does the same thing

i will succeed the 2011 rb5 radio because you dont need the pin unlock code but if you do buy a 2012+ radio make sure you get the vin number of the vehicule to unlock the radio

• 1 year later...

I would just do the upgrade to your current UConnect system. It is already clean and the features are pretty decent. You will get more from an aftermarket system, but it will not look stock and the screen will be smaller. Most of the UConnect systems have an 8.4 inch screen. Why go with a smaller screen? Not worth it in my book.

I would just do the upgrade to your current UConnect system. It is already clean and the features are pretty decent. You will get more from an aftermarket system, but it will not look stock and the screen will be smaller. Most of the UConnect systems have an 8.4 inch screen. Why go with a smaller screen? Not worth it in my book.

CarPlay or Android Auto and a vastly better amp so the audio will be much better. The stock amp is muddy.

CarPlay or Android Auto and a vastly better amp so the audio will be much better. The stock amp is muddy.

I don't feel the same way about the sound from the stock (basic 8.4 RE2 or RB5) system. I think that the premium sound is a huge step down, but the base model sounds very nice for an OEM sound system.

As to CarPlay or Android Auto? I don't like the idea of being able to load lots of interactive apps into a vehicle - it's already pretty hinkey (how DO you spell that?) from a security perspective.

The trick to car infotainment systems is that the user interface has to be intuitive - and the ones in the Journey are VERY intuitive, enough that they are acknowledged to be the best in the industry from a usability perspective. That may well change, but swapping out the integrated system for something in it's infancy that will break some of the vehicle's functionality is not a particularly appealing concept in my opinion.

• 1 year later...

I have 8.4 uconnect ( cell phone )  radio in my 2013 Journey , Apparently after 3 years they are know to drain the battery while the vehicle is off. I had to replace the battery located under the driver side wheel weld. I have been told this is a common problem with the factory radio's for my vehicle. In some cases they have been know to catch your vehicle on fire due  to the wiring shortage ( defect) . The Diagnostic test does not pick it up. My new battery drained after two days of replacement . I had to take it back to the dealership for observation and the second day the shortage wire in the radio drained my  new battery needless to say my car is still at the dealership. It is not recommended to purchase a used radio for this vehicle due to fire hazard that the radio can and has caused other owners of this type of vehicle.    Does any one know where I can purchase a new one for a lower cost then the dealership price . The radio are not on recall due to the fact that there is not enough complaints to be added to the recall list. Totally sucks from my point of view, I thank God that it was caught before  my vehicle caught on fire unlike others who experienced this issue.  

Edited by Lori Terranova

I have 8.4 uconnect ( cell phone )  radio in my 2013 Journey , Apparently after 3 years they are know to drain the battery while the vehicle is off. I had to replace the battery located under the driver side wheel weld. I have been told this is a common problem with the factory radio's for my vehicle. In some cases they have been know to catch your vehicle on fire due  to the wiring shortage ( defect) . The Diagnostic test does not pick it up. My new battery drained after two days of replacement . I had to take it back to the dealership for observation and the second day the shortage wire in the radio drained my  new battery needless to say my car is still at the dealership. It is not recommended to purchase a used radio for this vehicle due to fire hazard that the radio can and has caused other owners of this type of vehicle.    Does any one know where I can purchase a new one for a lower cost then the dealership price . The radio are not on recall due to the fact that there is not enough complaints to be added to the recall list. Totally sucks from my point of view, I thank God that it was caught before  my vehicle caught on fire unlike others who experienced this issue.  

I can't recall hearing that the radio causes batteries to drain nor have I ever heard of the radio catching fire, nor can I find reports of this on the Internet.

I think your dealer smells money.

Edited by bramfrank

• 3 years later...

Chavo60,

I know this thread is a few years old however thank you for posting this on a easily found forum!

I am currently looking to upgrade my 2015 Journey for the wife! The wrig is equipped with a SAT 4.3 radio.

I have noted your issues and know what to look out for.

I plan on buying the 8.4 radio, mated climate control module, bezels to match. I will update once parts have been installed. 

Thanks again!