Upgrade to Uconnect 8.4 or aftermarket Navigation system?

Okay,

I have the 4.3 Uconnect system... no bluetooth, no navi, no voice command, damn near nothing.

I was researching how much it would cost to upgrade to the 8.4 system.... so far im looking at around $800 for the 8.4 uconnect system (not including the DVD unlocking)

I'm staring to consider upgrading to a complete aftermarket system... such as the Alpine INE-Z928HD...

What do you all think? Should i stick with the factory systems or go complete aftermarket?

Here are my concers:

- lost of functionality between stock controls and aftermarket system

- increase risk of theft

- neat fit into dash

What do you all think?

Thanks!

So I decided to go with the factory 8.4 uconnect system. Main reason was cost.... I think I will be able to install most if not all the replacements myself, which will save me some more money.

I think the following will help others who are interested in upgrading their 4.3 systems too. I wish I had this as reference too when trying to decide on what to do.

What I ordered, how much it cost, and what vendor I bought it from:

Receiver, Nav, AM/FM/CD/DVD/MP3//NAV (RB5)

www.car-part.com

$150 shipped

05064993AG,RFLP 8.4 Touch Screen,0S1

(From Shram Auto Parts) - www.car-part.com

$250 shipped

NTRL,OVH DVD SCREEN W/REMOTE/HEADPH

(From Shram Auto Parts) - www.car-part.com

$200 Shipped

Bezel compatible with 8.4 touch screen

http://www.partswebsite.com/dodgepartsco/

$140 Shipped

http://www.partswebsite.com/dodgepartsco/

Total cost: $740

I may buy the lockpick and reverse camera next but not sure yet. Have to try installing all the other parts when I receive them to make sure everything works.

Please let me know if you all think I missed something that is necessary for the upgrade or if I ordered any wrong parts.

Thanks!!!!

Hey Chavo.

If I were you, I'd try really hard to get the screen and bezel all together.

There's a bunch of small parts that might be missing omfrom the bezel.

The overhead DVD isn't going to work if you don't have the OEM wiring. (all of it)

Besides, the OEM set up uses supporting hardware inside the lining, like the moulded frame inside.

You might be better off getting a universal DVD overhead player. Or a couple of galaxy tab 2 7". (I got mine for 149.99 @ micro center on sale) and mount them on the headrests.

I still haven't been able to fix the auto climate error also, so be prepared to deal with that. I lost control of the rear climate from the front also.

Keep in mind, if your current radio doesn't have SAT radio, you don't have the gps antenna for the nav to work.

You need that.

Ic you don't have Bluetooth, you wont get it from the RB5, you'll need other stuff for that to work.

My current does have SAT so thank goodness for that....

Question, the lower stack currently installed with the 4.3 wont fit on the new bezel and screen of the 8.4?

I'm comparing pictures of the two systems and the lower stack look identical other than the SD card slots

I'm reasonably certain you will have more to do to make the Nav work - plus (and I'm only suggesting) it may not come with the mapping, so add in another couple of hundred just for that.

You won't have Bluetooth - and, as mentioned, not changing the lower stack will cost you the memory card slot...

I'd personally have done what I did, which is to simply put up a high end Garmin navigator, which gave me Bluetooth, Voice dialing and navigation and such and set me back about $250 - and it came with lifetime map updates and provides me with traffic.

Thanks Bram,

Question... why is the SD card slot important? Will I need it to get the NAV running or is it only important when it comes time to update the software?

I may still return everything if I see that I can't get it all fully working.

The bluetooth isn't that important to me. Temperature control is a must... and if that doesn't work from day 1 then it's all going back to the seller.

When I 1st installed the 8.4, the lower stack that came with the car, fit fine. BUT. I wasn't able to adjust the temperature.

I then bought a lower stack, I was ABLE to adjust the front temp, but it would not show the selected temp on the screen.

Basically, you adjust the temp blindly. It's s bit annoying, but my wife seems used to it.

She complaints a ton when something is actually bothering her.

I'm actually shocked she hasn't said anything.

That's why I say it's a BIT annoying.

It's on my top 5 things to do.

The rear climate works fine from the rear control panel.

Chavo,

My upgrade was very straight forward when i went from the 4.3S to the 8.4N. If your 4.3 had the SAT then you should be wired for the upgrade. As Mc has stated, the lower stack is important if you want the SD card functionality (i use it for music here in Europe) and in my case the different stacks didnt make a difference with the climate controls but my DJ came with bluetooth, voice control, etc. and that may mean my wiring may be different from your situation. Take a look at my pics of this mod. It may help you identify it your wiring is similar. Best of luck to you.

http://www.dodgejourneyforum.com/gallery/member/6079-aukfan33/

Hey Mcgusto... Just got notice that my parts arrived at home today. I will try installing them this weekend. I will try the lower stack that is currently there and see if all the functions work. It would be interesting to see if I have any problems...

If the temp controls don't work then I will order a new lower stack and test that. Hopefully we can figure the temp problem.

I have a 2012 SXT with 4.3s uconnect

no bluetooth, no auto temp

Yes SAT

Doing the same thing, can't wait to see your result! Thanks for the links, I've been looking for the dash bezel for a little while without a clue where to find it.

I'm curious about bluetooth a2dp... I know you won't be able to do voice control or hands-free without additional equipment but that functionality HAS to be built into the RB5.

Thanks cybrscrce.... but I can't take all the credit. Mcgusto shared the car-part website first... I just itemized everything lol

I'll keep posting updates as the project moves forward. I'm waiting on the besel before I begin installation. Hope it arrives soon...

All the parts arrived pretty fast except the dashboard bezel. Well it finally arrived today.... But unfortunately it's the wrong part! Either I read it wrong or they screwed up.

I thought the bezel would fit the 8.4 screen but when I opened the box the same 4.3 bezel I already have there.

The part number I ordered is: 1RE271XPAB

Part description is: center bezel w/navigation

Can someone please tell me what part number i should be ordering?

• 2 weeks later...

Okay,

Finally finished the install.... Very simple to install but ran into other problems.

The 8.4 display requested a anti theft code! I read on these forums that these units didn't have those. We were wrong.... visited my dealer and they couldn't help. Called their headquarters and they couldn't help.... called at least 7 dealerships and finally found one service spanner who knew what the heck was wrong...

TAKE NOTE... you'll need the radio units serial number and most important the Vin number of the car it originally came from. He then gave me t. Code to unlock the system.

Then..... The climate cocontrols aren't working. I can control the temperature from the hard buttons but the touch screen doesn't work.

Finally, the navigation system needs to be updated. I try searching addresses and it can't find them. The system was taken from a car in Virgin. And it doesn't find any addresses outside of Virginia... so strange.

Can anyone help with any of these issues? Also, can i update the navigation software using the usb instead of the sd reader? I don't have the sd card slot.

Sorry for the lengthy post

The unit came off a 2013.... That explains the problem. Glad it's resolved.

The navigation is working as it should now.... Not sure what happened. It just needed a little time to update or something.

The only problems I'm having are:

controlling the temperature on the touch screen.

The auto night/day dimming of touchscreen not auto adjusting.

Step by step turns not loud enough when music is playing. It interrupts the music that's playing but the voice is very low.

Here's a picture of the new unit :)post-6751-0-96836400-1362976346_thumb.jp

When the nav voice is talking, you can turn up the volume which will only affect the nav voice. It remembers whatever you change the volume to while the nav voice is talking. This will not affect the volume of the radio.