Engine Coolant Colour??

Srtified

I noticed that my Coolant reservoir is filled with a very darl coloured coolant mix. It almost looks deep purple or even black...NOT the colours I'm familiar with. Is this the normal colour?

2013 Journey R/T AWD 3.6L Pentastar engine

TIA,

Srtified (Paul)

NO! Make sure it is not oil. If it is, it could be the sign of a leaking head gasket or other condition where oil and coolant are mixing. I would think twice before driving it if you think it is oil. Coolant in the cylinders is no good. I have heard of a small amount oil showing into the coolant following internal engine work. Have you had your heads worked on? This is an uncommon, although not unknown, pentastar problem.

Make your dealer figure it out. Good Luck.

Peace.

My 2013 R/T, manufactured in November of 2012 uses the older OAT antifreeze and is pink in color (looks almost like cloudy automatic transmission fluid). The new MOPAR OAT antifreeze is dark purple in color (mine was evidently manufactured before the "switch" in colors). Don't panic if yours (in a 2013) is a dark color; it is probably just the new formulation (and color) of the antifreeze. It used to be that you could determine the type of antifreeze from the color...that doesn't hold true any longer. Depending on the manufacturer, OAT antifreeze can be orange, green, pink, red and now blue/purple. Just to keep us guessing what is actually in there... It used to be that you could just buy antifreeze (in my younger days), then you had to buy either green or orange, depending on the application. Now, you can't base anything on the color; you have to know the formulation (IAT, HOAT or OAT) and which applies to your particular vehicle. Really becomes a "pain" when I've got 2 ATVs, 2 tractors and 4 cars (1976, 1989, 2011, and 2013) and they cover all the different formulations; I have to check the owner's manual for each whenever I have to add antifreeze because I can't remember which takes what and I can't go by the color any more...

My 2013 R/T, manufactured in November of 2012 uses the older OAT antifreeze and is pink in color (looks almost like cloudy automatic transmission fluid). The new MOPAR OAT antifreeze is dark purple in color (mine was evidently manufactured before the "switch" in colors). Don't panic if yours (in a 2013) is a dark color; it is probably just the new formulation (and color) of the antifreeze. It used to be that you could determine the type of antifreeze from the color...that doesn't hold true any longer. Depending on the manufacturer, OAT antifreeze can be orange, green, pink, red and now blue/purple. Just to keep us guessing what is actually in there... It used to be that you could just buy antifreeze (in my younger days), then you had to buy either green or orange, depending on the application. Now, you can't base anything on the color; you have to know the formulation (IAT, HOAT or OAT) and which applies to your particular vehicle. Really becomes a "pain" when I've got 2 ATVs, 2 tractors and 4 cars (1976, 1989, 2011, and 2013) and they cover all the different formulations; I have to check the owner's manual for each whenever I have to add antifreeze because I can't remember which takes what and I can't go by the color any more...

Wow, you must have been at the tail end just before the switch. I picked up our 2013 SXT on December 10. Talk about confusing!

Edited by rolly

• 7 months later...

I was purchased a 2011 DJ Mainstreet and was totally freaked out by the color of the anti-freeze; which is an orange color. Thought it was oil at first, especially the way it looks in the reservoir; really viscous!

I still remember when you bought green antifreeze and cut it with distilled water; the ratio dependent on what the vehicle was. Ahhh the good ol' days when cars just had engines and no computers in them.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 years later...

Happy 4th of July, 

I have a question about the coolant in my 2014 Dodge journey. I am planning a road trip in 5 days and wanted to top off my coolant. It is currently at the min level in the reservoir. The color is orange should I assume this is the Mopar 5year 100,000 coolant? I purchased my journey in August of 2014 with 6 miles on it  from a Dodge Chrysler dealership. Can I top it off with the Mopar 5 yr 100,000 or the prestone dex cool ? There are 65,000 miles on the engine. 

• 1 year later...

So, I had to replace radiator on my 2017 Crossroad and the fluid looked red, so I used Valvoline Xerox Asian motors 150,000 mile antifreeze, reddish/pinkish in color. Now I have a coolant leak, I believe at the water pump. Could wrong coolant cause this?

The dude should abide with OEM spec fluids (sorry  cant resist...I loved that movie).

I doubt it, how long was fluid in for. What does fluid look like, it should look the same as when it was poured in. Valvoline May even make the Chrysler oem stuff. My pump had a drip at 100k miles with original fluid.

The new fluids are usually an OAT formulation and there is a Chrysler spec number in the owners manual. Check the Japanese spec stuff to see if the Chysler spec is listed on container like on label below.

Pics is what I have been using in my 2014 with orange stuff number 11 for two years now.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by John/Horace