MGP Caliper Covers

redtomatoman

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Destination" data-cid="25456" data-time="1357575839"><p>
I'm curious to see these installed.</p></blockquote>

Me too. I was looking at caliper covers in red but was concerned about clearance issues. Running 19's stock. There is only about 10mm clearance if that. Let us know how it works out and some pics would be great. Cheers.

Edited by Rubberdude88

• 3 weeks later...

So. . .

Received my caliper covers last week, but was traveling so I didn't get a chance to install. I am impressed with the quality of the workmanship, but when I went to install the caliper covers, they were clearly too large. I text'd pics of the size disparity then called MGP and spoke with a few service reps who could not imagine why they did not fit. Stamped part numbers were correct, but they were way too big to go on my calipers. The only possible explanation they could offer over the phone we that maybe the wrong plates were used to fabricate the covers in my case. My understanding of their process is that they fabricate each set of covers specifically for each order. Evidently they have a number of flat plate templates that are then used as the starting point to fabricate the covers specific to your particular vehicle. MGP indicated that they have successfully installed their caliper covers on "hundreds of dodge journey vehicles".

Anyway, they were very nice and I have since returned the covers. I will await their response and update this topic. I am still hopeful that the fitment and size disparity are a result of a simple mistake of starting with the wrong flat template.

Peace.

So. . .

Received my caliper covers last week, but was traveling so I didn't get a chance to install. I am impressed with the quality of the workmanship, but when I went to install the caliper covers, they were clearly too large. I text'd pics of the size disparity then called MGP and spoke with a few service reps who could not imagine why they did not fit. Stamped part numbers were correct, but they were way too big to go on my calipers. The only possible explanation they could offer over the phone we that maybe the wrong plates were used to fabricate the covers in my case. My understanding of their process is that they fabricate each set of covers specifically for each order. Evidently they have a number of flat plate templates that are then used as the starting point to fabricate the covers specific to your particular vehicle. MGP indicated that they have successfully installed their caliper covers on "hundreds of dodge journey vehicles".

Anyway, they were very nice and I have since returned the covers. I will await their response and update this topic. I am still hopeful that the fitment and size disparity are a result of a simple mistake of starting with the wrong flat template.

Peace.

That sucks. Hope you get everything worked out and the correct ones installed. Would love to see pics and get the part #'s before buying. Once you do get it worked out, I know they will make the 19's POP - I used to have them on my Cobalt SS and they rocked. Good luck and keep us to date. Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

Well. . . As I posted earlier, I have returned my caliper covers to MGP. Currently I'm a little disappointed as it seems that MGP caliper covers will not fit my DJ. I spoke with them on the phone yesterday. They still cannot imagine how the caliper covers do not fit as they have verified that I did indeed receive the the correct part number and it matched their specifications for that part number. They had no answer for me on fitment. They could only come up with install error or different calipers on my vehicle. MGP asked for my VIN to do some more investigating. I did provide that, but I doubt they will come up with anything. According to MGP, they have successfully fit "hundreds" of DJs. As an aside, they told me about a case of a corvette that had different calipers from other corvettes of same model/year and could not be fit with their caliper covers. Although its possible that some new cars just have different components, I'm not sure I buy it though. I will PM DodgeCares my VIN to see if he can shed any light on this caliper mystery.

I will keep this thread updated with any news that comes from MGP.

Peace.

Here the response I got from DodgeCares:

I ran your vin and found that the part number on your rotor matches the part number for other Journeys that I have the vins for on other 2011 models. Yours was a relatively late build so I also ran some 2012 vins for calipers and the part numbers are the same so I could find no evidence of your not having "normal" calipers on it. I went to the MGP website and checked out the covers they offer for the Journey and they list them for the 2009-2013 with the same part number for all years so I am not sure why the ones they sent you do not fit. It would seem to me that if Chrysler changed the part all the way back in 2011 they would have figured it out by now at MGP and ran into the situation you are having long before now.

Since MGP has told me that their covers work on the DJs that they have fit, the possibilities are:

1. There are at least 2 stock DJ calipers that are different sizes that actually have the same part numbers and MGP is using only the larger size calipers to design their covers.

2. I have an odd size caliper on my 2011 DJ for some reason.

3. My mechanic and I did not understand how to correctly install the covers. Possible but highly unlikely. . .

Anyway, if anyone else is interested in caliper covers, these MGP covers are quite nice. If they don't fit, they will take them back without any hassles. I be interested to see if they fit other's DJs.

Peace.