Weird transmission pause and noise

klingoff

I recently purchased a 2013 Dodge Journey SE Plus with the 2.4L engine. Yesterday when I was approaching a red light it turned green before I could come to a full stop. I then took my foot off the brake and put it on the gas. When I did this the vehicle paused for a second like transmission didn't know what to do and then lurched forward, at the same time it made a pop/snap noise. I have now been noticing that when the vehicle is in motion and I take my foot off the gas to let it coast I get a pop/snap and then I get the same noise when I put my foot back on the gas. Is this normal for this vehicle? I have had many vehicles before that have never does this. Perhaps I am being paranoid where the transmission in my Jeep Patriot failed and I traded it in on the Journey but I just wanted to ask because I am tired of complaining about issues where my Jeep gave me a lot of issues while I had it. Thanks!

• Official Dodge Support

I recently purchased a 2013 Dodge Journey SE Plus with the 2.4L engine. Yesterday when I was approaching a red light it turned green before I could come to a full stop. I then took my foot off the brake and put it on the gas. When I did this the vehicle paused for a second like transmission didn't know what to do and then lurched forward, at the same time it made a pop/snap noise. I have now been noticing that when the vehicle is in motion and I take my foot off the gas to let it coast I get a pop/snap and then I get the same noise when I put my foot back on the gas. Is this normal for this vehicle? I have had many vehicles before that have never does this. Perhaps I am being paranoid where the transmission in my Jeep Patriot failed and I traded it in on the Journey but I just wanted to ask because I am tired of complaining about issues where my Jeep gave me a lot of issues while I had it. Thanks!

klingoff,

I agree with Red, the sound is odd but the hesitation is normal. When you have a 6 or 4 speed transmission in the Journeys, they are trying to drive in an fuel efficient manner so shift patterns are different from what we are all traditionally accustomed to and will feel different. My Journey and my Ram both do this - the Ram is a different animal though.

You have a very different transmission in your DJ compared to your Patriot; going to a "traditional" 4 speed trans from a CVT is a whole new ball game but your apprehension is understood given your previous experience with the Patriot.

Get the Journey in to your dealer and ask the Service Manager or Shop Foreman to go for a test drive with you so they can experience the sounds and the hesitation. Don't hesitate to tell the Service Manager that you are feeling a bit unsettled because of your Patriot - he's human, he'll understand.

If you need any help after that, send me a PM and I can work with your dealer to resolve it - if there is an issue that is.

Thanks for the replies. The hesitation has only happened twice so it would be difficult to reproduce at the moment. As for the sound I believe I may have figured out what it is (hopefully). If I am wrong about the sound I will take it to the dealership and get it checked out. They have treated me well in the past when I had issues with the Jeep and I appreciate your offer DodgeCACares.

Edited by klingoff

@DodgeCACares, I am not sure if someone from Chrysler looks at the Jeep Patriot forum (www.jeeppatriot.com), however, if no one does it would be nice because there are people there who would appreciate the insight that has been provided on this forum.

Edited by klingoff

• 9 months later...

I have a 2013 Journey SXT 2.4 and noticed again after taking a long trip this weekend that I still have what feels like a stumble or miscue in the transmission. It feels like its not in gear then drops into gear when you hit the gas to pull away from a dead stop. either that or an engine misfire. its only happened 3 or 4 times in 6000 miles, but doesn't seem normal. Its very hard and sudden and embarrassing when you have been talking the journey up and this happens. Any ideas?

Edited by Rgwog