Reset the "Oil Change Required" warning....HOW?

Xphyle

Just changed the oil on my Journey after the computer told me to do so. 3400 miles. So how the F do you reset the warning? I've tried the method in the owners manual:

1. Turn key in ignition to "On" without starting the car...

2. Depress accelerator fully 3 times within 10 seconds

3. Turn key in ignition to "LOCK".

Did this like 10 freakin times to no avail. Computer kept giving me the "Oil Change Required" each time I started the car. What am I doing wrong?

Anyone?

Thanks!

Xphyle

You might be turning the key all the way off instead of into the lock position. I had a Chevy that was the same way to clear the oil change thing. I could not figure it out for the life of me. Then I realized I was turning the key all the way off.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I tried many times.... finally I did?

• Key ON,
  • push the pedal 1, 2, 3 (and hold it down),
  • wait to see no "Oil Change" indicator
  • and then Lock.

What a stupid reset.

Be gald we don;t own a BMW. You either need a 300.00 reset tool, or take it into the dealer to get it reset. I am glad i can reset it on my own in the Journey.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I had the same problem, was driving me crazy..... then depressed accelerator 4 times instead of 3 out of desperation and it worked!!!!

I've tried everything mentioned in here at least 5 times and nothing has worked for me yet. It just keeps telling me to take it to the dealer. It seems there must be a simple reset somewhere that did not get into the manual.

If anybody has found it PLEASE lets us know.

Al

I've tried everything mentioned in here at least 5 times and nothing has worked for me yet. It just keeps telling me to take it to the dealer. It seems there must be a simple reset somewhere that did not get into the manual.

If anybody has found it PLEASE lets us know.

Al

You have to do it all the way down & slow

Yes it does work

Key "on" engine NOT running

Push accelerator down 3 times slowly within 10 seconds-it will reset I change my own oil & reset it myself no problem-unless you have a malfunction

Well after I and many others tried to get the warning to go out I took back to the dealer. The service manager came out and was going to show how easy it is. After many, and I do mean many tries, he went back to the shop and got a tech.

Tech sat down

Tech turned the key to "on"

Tech SLAMMED the throttle to the floor 3 times FAST :finger:

Tech turned the key to "off"

Tech said" sometimes you have to do this twice"

Tech then repeated the above

Warning when away

I think it was scared. It may never come back again :o

I'm going to do an oil change tonight. I'll see if the reset procedures work on mine. I think, from reading the above posts, the accelerator pedal needs to be pushed ALL THE WAY DOWN completely and that the key position must be in the right position.

If it doesn't work, I'll just hook up my OBDII scan tool and do a reset there and see if it works.

I'm going to do an oil change tonight. I'll see if the reset procedures work on mine. I think, from reading the above posts, the accelerator pedal needs to be pushed ALL THE WAY DOWN completely and that the key position must be in the right position.

If it doesn't work, I'll just hook up my OBDII scan tool and do a reset there and see if it works.

Darn...I can never find my OBDII scan tool when I need it. :lol::lol:

(What's a OBDII scan tool anyway) :D

Okay, here's an update. I reset the oil change light the first try. It's kind of confusing because it doesn't tell you when you've successfully reset it so I'm sitting there wondering whether or not it actually worked or not.

Anyway, here's the exact procedure I followed:

1. Insert key. turn to ON position. Watch gauges do their self test.

2. Press accelerator pedal all the way down until it hits the stopper. Do this 3 times... one second apart each time. You do not need to slam the pedal.

3. After you've pressed the pedal for the third time. Wait a second.

4. Turn key back to Lock position.

5. Sit and wonder if it worked. take key out.

6. Put key back in, start car. check to see if oil reset indicator shows up.

That worked for me.

OBDII scan tool is a device that hooks up to your vehicle that can read any problem codes that are generated by your car's computer. Codes that normally show up as a check engine light on your dashboard. The scan tool has the ability to clear the codes, which resets the check engine light. If the problem is not fixed, however, the code will be thrown again, which will cause the check engine light to come on again.

As for the oil change, it's probably the easiest one I've done in a while. The oil filter is in a super easily accessible location. My other car, a japanese model, has the oil filter in an extremely hard to access location. Below the intake manifold and just above the exhaust manifold. Hence, I have to wait until the car cools down before I can change the oil. And because it's hard to access, some of the oil drains out of the filter while I'm trying to snake it out of the engine compartment... creating a huge mess. Argh!

• 2 months later...

My wife had the Journey in for an oil change, and when she came home she told me that the "Change Oil" indication was still there. So out I go with manual in hand for about an hour, and it would not reset??

I looked at the receipt from the dealer and noticed that the oil quantity was half a litre less than every other oil change.

Took it to the dealer the next day and showed him the oil quantity, and they added the difference, and voila, I was able to reset the oil change indicator first try??

Is it possible that it will not reset if the oil level is not correct after the oil is dumped and refilled?

If you were to change your oil at home, and you were parked on a sloped driveway, maybe it wouldn't reset?

Any thoughts??

RP

• 4 weeks later...
My wife had the Journey in for an oil change, and when she came home she told me that the "Change Oil" indication was still there. So out I go with manual in hand for about an hour, and it would not reset??

I looked at the receipt from the dealer and noticed that the oil quantity was half a litre less than every other oil change.

Took it to the dealer the next day and showed him the oil quantity, and they added the difference, and voila, I was able to reset the oil change indicator first try??

Is it possible that it will not reset if the oil level is not correct after the oil is dumped and refilled?

If you were to change your oil at home, and you were parked on a sloped driveway, maybe it wouldn't reset?

Any thoughts??

RP

It sounds logical, I have taken my Journey to the dealer for my oil changes. I use RP and just pay them for the change and filter. With the lifetime warranty it is best to keep a nice paper trail

• 2 months later...

I am thinking of purchasing an OBDII scan tool. Which one do you have and have you found it useful? Where is the port for it on the Dodge Journey? Thanks in advance for the assistance.

OBDII scan tool is a device that hooks up to your vehicle that can read any problem codes that are generated by your car's computer.

Well after I and many others tried to get the warning to go out I took back to the dealer. The service manager came out and was going to show how easy it is. After many, and I do mean many tries, he went back to the shop and got a tech.

Tech sat down

Tech turned the key to "on"

Tech SLAMMED the throttle to the floor 3 times FAST :finger:

Tech turned the key to "off"

Tech said" sometimes you have to do this twice"

Tech then repeated the above

Warning when away

I think it was scared. It may never come back again :o

How is an ordinary layman supposed to know stuff like this? It happened to me last month and I took it to the dealer and they fixed it but I didn't see how he did it. These vehicles of today are getting so you really have to know what you are doing to work on your vehicle. You even have to know how to run a computer on your car. And the hourly fees keep going up!

How is an ordinary layman supposed to know stuff like this? It happened to me last month and I took it to the dealer and they fixed it but I didn't see how he did it. These vehicles of today are getting so you really have to know what you are doing to work on your vehicle. You even have to know how to run a computer on your car. And the hourly fees keep going up!

Yeah sometimes my dealer forgets to reset mine as well, and I can never remember how to do it. Luckily the procedure is in the owners manual.

• 4 months later...

Just changed the oil on my Journey after the computer told me to do so. 3400 miles. So how the F do you reset the warning? I've tried the method in the owners manual:

Did this like 10 freakin times to no avail. Computer kept giving me the "Oil Change Required" each time I started the car. What am I doing wrong?

Anyone?

Thanks!

Xphyle

This proceedure seemed to work for me and clear the message on my 2010 RT AWD

a small piece of painter's masking tape over the indicator works too. Write the mileage on it for the next the oil change and when you get to that reading remove the tape...voila - the indicator says it is time to change the oil.

Then repeat.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Anyone?

Thanks!

Xphyle

Not sure why it doesn't work. I just tried it on my wife's Journey, and it worked first time.