Installing 8.4 uConnect (actually doing it)

• 4 months later...

Mcgusto, were you ever able to fix the HVAC integration issue?

Some of the re-sellers I'm seeing (in Canada) actually seem to suggest that the RB5 unit only works if you have the Auto Climate option (I don't have this) - I'll hold off on this project until I know whether you were able to resolve it

Thanks for your posts - they're really informative

No. The AC issue is here to stay. From the dealer tech (who spent a good amount of time on it, until the serv manager got mad at him 😡)

The issue is that the climate control module on non auto AC is not compatible with the 8.4 climate controls.

I've also read on the charger forums, that dodge knows about the issue from people who've bought the nav upgrade from mopar. That's people who are spending 1,700$ on the upgrade, but don't have the auto AC on their cars.

Dodge isn't doing anything about it, or atleast not yet.

I've looked at the part#s from the part manual, and can't find a different part # for AC modules. I'm thinking that the problem lies within the TIPM.

I got it to do what I initially want it to do (back up cam). So my wife just deals with the AC "inconvenience"

Honestly it isn't that much of a big deal. Everything else works fine.

No. The AC issue is here to stay. From the dealer tech (who spent a good amount of time on it, until the serv manager got mad at him )

The issue is that the climate control module on non auto AC is not compatible with the 8.4 climate controls.

I've also read on the charger forums, that dodge knows about the issue from people who've bought the nav upgrade from mopar. That's people who are spending 1,700$ on the upgrade, but don't have the auto AC on their cars.

Dodge isn't doing anything about it, or atleast not yet.

I've looked at the part#s from the part manual, and can't find a different part # for AC modules. I'm thinking that the problem lies within the TIPM.

I got it to do what I initially want it to do (back up cam). So my wife just deals with the AC "inconvenience"

Honestly it isn't that much of a big deal. Everything else works fine.

Thanks for the quick response. I'll look further into the associated costs of the parts to see if this is a viable option.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest markt4cali

Has anyone found out if there is a work around or a part number that needs to be purchased to get 8.4N without autoclimate? or is there a way to get autoclimate so that the lower stack will work with the 8.4N?

• 7 months later...

I bought a 2012 dodge journey sxt, I thought I had bought the 8.4 screen, but the dealer installed navigation on the 4.3.. I'm waiting for my money back and will be ordering the set up for the 8.4 screen with the nav. And will also include the a/c auto controls.. Will keep you posted on the install.

• 3 weeks later...

Swapped the radio and screen on weekend.It asking for the anti theft code. Went to dealer and ask for the code,obtain the code and punch into radio,but it says incorrect code.Do I need extra parts(amp) or it wrong VIN number on the purchase receipt? Please help.

Does the screen need to be from the same donor vehicle, witch the radio came from? The radio still asking for the anti theft code, no sound,no gps,no additional setting available at this point. Climate working fine over touch screen no issue there. The part manager from my dealer, told me that the amp is required to upgrade from 4.3 to 8.4N. Can some body confirm that statement?

Please help.

dealer obtained correct code and re-configure the PCM. Success!!!!!!!!! Radio start working and all futures as well.

Thank you everyone for the information provided on this topic.

If any one is interested,here is the link for the obtaining the code for the radio:http://navrepair.com/collections/programming-and-anti-theft-unlocking/products/anti-theft-code

Those guys can provide the code without the VIN number and then the 8.4N/8.4 will work and not married to the car VIN.

Total for the parts and shipping is $768.00. That price including the screen with the besel,lover stack(buttons and diales) with SD slot,the radio it self.

Plus $45.00 for the re-configutation and obtaining the code.

So,the total is:$813.00

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

So after so much searching, and talking about doing the upgrade, I finally got to do it.

I bought the RB5 (allegedly N), and the 8.4 screen with bezel. Came in on Monday, but the anxiety wouldn't let wait till the weekend to install it. Went out last night and did it in the dark. Lol.

1st thing, everything fits nicely. You need to wear gloves to take the radio apart. Behind the journeys "soft" touch panels, there's a ton of sharp jagged edge corners.

There's also a lot of tugging and pulling on small connectors. You're going to need s small flat head screw driver, and patience.

Now the bad news... Apparently, the lower stack (AC) panel from the 4.3 does NOT work with the 8.4.

After install, I was not able to adjust the temperature. On the screen it will not move from 22c. From the AC panel, it won't even beep.

I also was not able to find controls for the rear climate..

I'm thinking this must be cause the AC panel isn't communicating with the 8.4.

I'm impressed of how the voice control feature works on the rb5. You can actually call it voice control. Not the phone voice control.

Had to take everything back out, and now I need the lower stack panel. 4231C2DE-FB43-4610-9E20-1D65628B6F6A-271

2235440A-7A8F-4EDF-AE63-E3580F490692-271

The right radio (rb5) has additional connects. From the 3 stacked together all the way to the right (pic). It's like mirrored connector for the remote USB. Anyone know what that is?

42834980-FDAD-4795-9746-3E8638F554C8-271

Anyone interested in knowing. The uConnect voice command module seems to be behind the screen assy beneath the vent tunnels.

can u tell me where and how much cost the complete uconnect? :) thanks