Key not detected

I purchased my DJ in January 2012. The first time I had the "key not detected" issues was in May of 2013, I used the command start (not manufactured) and it started. Then in August 2013 it happened again with the brakes fully depressed to the floor. We removed the brake fuse and the vehicle started after it was put back in. Now, since the begining of December 2013 it happens on a regular basis. I did have it towed to the dealership but they could not find the error codes. If I let my vehcile sit long enough without starting it, it will start again. I'm assuming this is what happened and why they could not detect the issue. Also, they claimed it was because of the Viper command start and recommended it be uninstalled. It has been 'uninstalled' for a couple weeks now and the problem still happens. Last week the "low battery" warning came on. I replaced the batteries in both faubs but this has not resloved the issue. This morning, after numerous attempts and trying with both faubs, I have not been able to strat my vehcile. This is very frustrating and this happens almost every other day. I am close to the end of my wits and strongly thinking about trading in my vehilce and not going back to Dodge!

My wife was shopping a week b4 Xmas, left the kids waiting in the car with the radio on for I guess about 1.5 hours.

When she came came back, she got the "key not detected" error on screen. She tried putting the key right next to the button.

I had to drive out to her and try my key, but by the time I got there, she noticed that when she tried, the lights dimmed a lot. (The sonata she previously had, had battery issues for a whole winter, so she knows when a battery is dead)

Anyways, she got someone to boost the DJ, and the car stated right up. When she turned the engine off, she didn't turn the lights off. Battery drained itself.

My point is.. It really threw us off the fact that "key not detected) kept showing up.

Why would this message come up instead of maybe.. "Battery not detected". Lol.

• 2 weeks later...

I just stumbled on this site and I am so glad that I am not "crazy" as our dealership made me feel. A couple of months ago, my 2011 Journey started showing the no key detected with either fob. It would also start remotely sometimes then wouldn't start when you got in the vehicle. A few times, all the alarms would go off and you had to get out of the vehicle and hit the unlock to get them to go off. I finally took it to the dealership and they couldn't get it to duplicate the problem. Oh, I replaced the battteries in both fobs BEFORE I took it in. They told me that I must have done something to "upset" the vehicles electronics and that it shouldn't do it again. They also stated that no one else has complained of this problem. Well, just today, the problem has repeated itself. The alarms went off and everything. After hitting numerous buttons, getting in and out of the vehicle, etc. I finally got the vehicle to start and REMAIN running. Now whether it will start for me the rest of the day we will have to see.

• 3 months later...

Dodge vehicles act VERY strange when the car battery is on it's way out. I would venture to guess that some, if not all, of these key not detected errors are related to a car battery (not the fob battery) with a dead cell or two. The battery is good enough to start the car, but on the way out...

• 1 year later...

I purchased a used 2015 dodge journey sxt on Saturday and Sunday I went to the car to go for a drive, and I got the dreaded "key fob not detected" message in gauge cluster and engine would start when i push the button, had to start engine wirth emergency proceedures,and doors would not lock with fob, I changed battery in the fob, still nothing. You don't know how pissed I was after shelling out the money for the car and have not work, I had to wait till Monday to take back to dealer, They checked it out said it was bad key fob and replaced it, Now everything working fine.

• 1 month later...

I purchased a used 2015 dodge journey sxt on Saturday and Sunday I went to the car to go for a drive, and I got the dreaded "key fob not detected" message in gauge cluster and engine would start when i push the button, had to start engine wirth emergency proceedures,and doors would not lock with fob, I changed battery in the fob, still nothing. You don't know how pissed I was after shelling out the money for the car and have not work, I had to wait till Monday to take back to dealer, They checked it out said it was bad key fob and replaced it, Now everything working fine.

Next time it happens, give a good slap to the steering wheel on the top of the airbag. Someone told me it is an occasional bad connection in the clockspring. Don't know if true or not. It always works for me, although it rarely happens.

H.P.

• 6 months later...
20 hours ago, Meg S. Crady said:

I left my FOB in my purse in the car.  Unknowingly, my husband locked the car. I always thought the car wouldn't lock if the key was inside, right?

Did he lock it with another FOB? I can lock my doors with one FOB inside with the other FOB. I think the system is smart enough to know if you are outside the vehicle with your FOB and you want to lock the doors with the other FOB still inside the car, it will let you. At least mine does.

Edited by jkeaton

Hi , I've had my 2015 Journey since new (2 yrs. ago) and have had no problems till now.  When it was new I put one of the fobs in a drawer and forgot about it.  The other fob has been used continuously and was fine until now.  The battery on it was low about a month ago, so I switched it with the unused one till I got some batteries.  Bought new batteries yesterday and change the one in the fob that was low.  Now that fob doesn't work at all.  Took the new battery out and checked it with my VOM and it measured 3.27 V.  Put it back in and still wouldn't work. Started the car with the seldom used fob and tried holding the bad one next to the good one while starting, hoping it would sense the programming--no dice.  I searched on the 'net and see the dealer has to reprogram new fobs, but my fob is an original one that came with the car, so I wouldn't think it needs to be reprogrammed.  Any advice on this?  Would it be under warranty?

ps- I pull up the contact points in the fob a little bit to make sure the battery was getting a good contact, and yes, it is in the right way--( + side down).

• 4 weeks later...

Just bought a 2012 R/T about a month ago and everything worked fine until tonight. We had a cold snap this evening and as we came out of the restaurant, with fob in pocket, the door did not automatically unlock as I touched the handle. After a couple of tries, I used the remote Unlock to get in and tried to start the engine. FOB NOT FOUND. So I tried the Remote Start (while in the car) and it started. I let it run while we buckled up, then tried a regular start. No soap. Got the same error message again. Started with the Remote and let it run about five minutes, then tried again and the car started.

So, key points:

1 - Remote worked inside and outside the car - probably not the battery

2 - After the car warmed up a few minutes, the FOB was FOUND

Thank God for that since I did not know about the trick of starting the car with the back end of the FOB. I looked for a place to insert the emergency key but found no slot. Is there one somewhere?

Graebeard