Key not detected

We've had our 2012 Journey Crew V-6 since May and love it except for a few oddities. We have recently been getting a sporadic error when trying to start the engine that shows "Key not detected." However when we have received this error the key is either in my pocket or in my wife's purse and in the vehicle. We've even received that error when both key fobs were in the vehicle. On one occasion the wife had the car running when this error came up and the alarm dinged.

Haven't had a chance to have my dealer check this out yet but was wondering if anyone else has had this happen. Does anyone have any idea what causes this problem?

I would simply try replacing the battery to see if that solves the problem. It may be that battery, and hence, the signal are low. I would try that as its the easiest possible solution. If the error continues, I would take it for service. Good luck.

Peace.

Thanks for the reply and suggestion. Since this issue has happened with both key fobs I doubt it is the battery in both since we've only had the car since May. It was manufactured in December of 2011, so is less than a year old and the manual claime sthe batteries should last 3 years.

• Official Dodge Support

We've had our 2012 Journey Crew V-6 since May and love it except for a few oddities. We have recently been getting a sporadic error when trying to start the engine that shows "Key not detected." However when we have received this error the key is either in my pocket or in my wife's purse and in the vehicle. We've even received that error when both key fobs were in the vehicle. On one occasion the wife had the car running when this error came up and the alarm dinged.

Haven't had a chance to have my dealer check this out yet but was wondering if anyone else has had this happen. Does anyone have any idea what causes this problem?

walker,

I recommend getting your DJ to your dealer with both keys.

They will start with your Fobs and work their way from there.

It happens from time to time and very easy to remedy with most likely a reprogramming of the ignition module.

Let us know how you make out.

Edited by DodgeCACares

walker,

I recommend getting your DJ to your dealer with both keys.

They will start with your Fobs and work their way from there.

It happens from time to time and very easy to remedy with most likely a reprogramming of the ignition module.

Let us know how you make out.

Took the car in to a Dodge dealer service center this morning. They claim to have checked the transmitter and receiver, with both keys, but could find no errors becuase they couldn't duplicate the problem. They said all the programming was the latest and just to watch it. If it occurs again, get it to a dealer. Since it's been a sporadic issue, I imagine it's difficult to diagnose. We do feel better having had it checked though. I just hope it doesn't come to the one day it won't start at all.

Thanks for the reply

I've noticed that when getting out sometimes with the vehicle running and key in my pocket the fob warning goes off and even if I put the fob back on the dash through the window it doesn't go off. However if I open and close the door it picks up the fob on the dash and all is good. It seems that once its picked up the key has left it doesn't rescan for it until the door is opened again. Not completely what you're seeing but still something interesting I've discovered about our fob system.

I've noticed that when getting out sometimes with the vehicle running and key in my pocket the fob warning goes off and even if I put the fob back on the dash through the window it doesn't go off. However if I open and close the door it picks up the fob on the dash and all is good. It seems that once its picked up the key has left it doesn't rescan for it until the door is opened again. Not completely what you're seeing but still something interesting I've discovered about our fob system.

Interesting! The only time the door was involved thus far was when the wife started the car and had to get out because she had forgotten something. When she got back in the alarm "key not detected" was showing and gonging. Other times it just displayed when trying to start the vehicle. Will have to try the door next time, although it usually only happens once and then starts normally. I'm beginning to wonder if our cell phones are somehow interferring with the signal? Or maybe, like with computers, it's sunspots in some distant galaxy? Thanks for the reply.

• 2 months later...

I experienced this issue today at the dealer when I was picking up my 2012 crew for other electrical problems (another forum discussion). Anyways it couldn't detect key fob after opening car door while running. But this is where it gets crazy. With the dealer, actually took key fob out of car, so no key in car and was able to drive away. Engine is supposed to shut off when attempting to drive with no fob.

Edited by Keith Joseph Gardner

"Engine is supposed to shut off when attempting to drive with no fob."

This has been discussed before and apparently although this is what

we would hope/want to happen is not the reality of the DJ operation.

The person who drives it away would shut it off and then not be able

to restart it.

• Official Dodge Support

Keith,

Like bigstr pointed it out, this is by design.

As I posted before, vehicle’s with “Keyless Go” will continue to run the engine with the ( key present-key in range) or ( not present- key out of range) once started.

This is actually done on purpose, similar to starting your vehicle and leaving the key in the ignition.

Once your Journey is started, it stays running; when you walk away the EVIC will say “key out of range” but will not shut off. This is part of a safety feature that enables the vehicle to stay running in the absence of a signal from your key in the event that you dropped someone off with the Fob in their pocket. i.e. you’re running errands and the passenger leaves with the FOB in their pocket or purse, your vehicle won’t shut down unexpectedly when it sees the (Key out of range).

Hope this clears up what you experienced yesterday at your dealer.

Keith,

As I posted before, vehicle’s with “Keyless Go” will continue to run the engine with the ( key present-key in range) or ( not present- key out of range) once started.

This is actually done on purpose, similar to starting your vehicle and leaving the key in the ignition.

Once your Journey is started, it stays running; when you walk away the EVIC will say “key out of range” but will not shut off. This is part of a safety feature that enables the vehicle to stay running in the absence of a signal from your key in the event that you dropped someone off with the Fob in their pocket. i.e. you’re running errands and the passenger leaves with the FOB in their pocket or purse, your vehicle won’t shut down unexpectedly when it sees the (Key out of range).

The example you mentioned where car was running and someone left the car with the key fob happened to my wife and mom. Mom driving DJ and dropped wife off at Dr office. Mom started to drive off and car started beeping and engine shut off. Wife comes out to see my Mom and DJ parked in the middle of the street. GB

• Official Dodge Support

The example you mentioned where car was running and someone left the car with the key fob happened to my wife and mom. Mom driving DJ and dropped wife off at Dr office. Mom started to drive off and car started beeping and engine shut off. Wife comes out to see my Mom and DJ parked in the middle of the street. GB

Very odd,

Should have never shut off... Did you mention that instance to your dealer?

Keith,

That makes sense. You wouldn't want to be cruising on the highway and have the vehicle shut down because the battery in your key fob went dead, shorted, etc.

Bruce

I can't say for fact but the design of the fob/ingnition

circuitry should not allow that to ever happen,the fob

also has RFID chip in it which is active even with out

functioning battery.

If the battery dies you can push the start/stop

physically with the fob and the DJ will still start(supposedly).

I also had experienced key not recognized and then a notice of low battery etc. It would come and go. I thought there must be something wrong other than a battery problem since I got similar results with the second fob. However it turns out the problem(s) were solved when the dealer replaced the batteries in both fobs. I quote the dealer "who knows how long the batteries/fobs had been around before installation".

I can't say for fact but the design of the fob/ingnition

circuitry should not allow that to ever happen,the fob

also has RFID chip in it which is active even with out

functioning battery.

If the battery dies you can push the start/stop

physically with the fob and the DJ will still start(supposedly).

You are correct Bigtsr as noted in my owner's manual:

NOTE: In case the ignition switch does not change with

the push of a button, the RKE transmitter (Key Fob) may

have a low or dead battery. In this situation a back up

method can be used to operate the ignition switch. Put

the nose side (side opposite of the emergency key) of the

Key Fob against the ENGINE START/STOP button and

push to operate the ignition switch.

Quick question: When this key fob problem occurs, is your cell phone in the same pocket as the key? Does your wife also keep her cell phone in her purse near the key? I discovered that my iPhone interferes with the key fob signal. If I have the key in the same pocket as my phone, the doors will not unlock when I touch the handle. Keep the key on the opposite pocket and you probably won't have trouble anymore.

• 2 months later...

Just had very screwy instance where I opened right front and back doors to put in bags, then walked around to drivers and tried to start- but key was not detected. Reviewed owners manual and tried the back up method- no joy. Tired 10 times no luck. Then hit remote start button and it started- as soon as I pushed break- engine died as it still did not see FOB. Opened car door to get spare FOB, but closed it immediately for traffic. DJ now sees FOB and starts. tried back up system and it too works. i get spare FOB (to be on safe side) and get in car- now both FOBs are in car- DJ does not see either FOB (but had both next to my IPHONE in cup holder). forced to start car with backup method and drive home in disgust- car is 2012 and I bought new 12 months ago today! (Had planned to take to and leave at Airport in the morning for vacation- now cant as am worried it will not start upon our return.)

I get home- try to duplicate the issue- and cant. now both FOBs are detected and work fine. But no IPHONE in car.

Think post below relative IPHONE interference may be onto something... i had made the connection last week when car momentarily did not see FOB but blew it off.

Does any one know if the car scans continuously for FOB or only after door has been open? so if it forgets it saw it- do we have to remove FOB completely and reapproach the vehicle?

• Official Dodge Support
Just had very screwy instance where I opened right front and back doors to put in bags, then walked around to drivers and tried to start- but key was not detected. Reviewed owners manual and tried the back up method- no joy. Tired 10 times no luck. Then hit remote start button and it started- as soon as I pushed break- engine died as it still did not see FOB. Opened car door to get spare FOB, but closed it immediately for traffic. DJ now sees FOB and starts. tried back up system and it too works. i get spare FOB (to be on safe side) and get in car- now both FOBs are in car- DJ does not see either FOB (but had both next to my IPHONE in cup holder). forced to start car with backup method and drive home in disgust- car is 2012 and I bought new 12 months ago today! (Had planned to take to and leave at Airport in the morning for vacation- now cant as am worried it will not start upon our return.)

I get home- try to duplicate the issue- and cant. now both FOBs are detected and work fine. But no IPHONE in car.

Think post below relative IPHONE interference may be onto something... i had made the connection last week when car momentarily did not see FOB but blew it off.

Does any one know if the car scans continuously for FOB or only after door has been open? so if it forgets it saw it- do we have to remove FOB completely and reapproach the vehicle?

DJ,

I found no common IPhone complaints about the key not being detected in the vehicle, but I cannot say for a fact it could not be the cause. I can tell you that if you remote start the car with the keys inside it disables the keys. See below.

If the vehicle is equipped with remote start and vehicle is remote started from within the vehicle

(sitting in the vehicle); all keys within the vehicle are disabled. The message ‘Key Not Detected” along

with a flashing KIN status will be present when attempting to start the vehicle. The security system is

set up not to allow the vehicle to start with any key in the vehicle after securing the vehicle (this

function is a normal function of the remote start request, lock and secure). The key can become

enabled if the vehicle receives an unlock request from the key to unlock or disarm the vehicle.

I am having the same issue with my 2011 V6 crew. Sporadic "no key detected". I've taken it to the dealer 3 times now and all they do is replace the battery. I had an argument with service advisor yesterday over this issue. If the battery was replaced and less then a month later the same issue re-appears, more then likely it's not the battery. I'm frustrated because the dealer won't do anything about it. If they showed more initiative to fix the problem, I wouldn't be as pissed off. Have any other dealers recommended what the Robles may be?

• Official Dodge Support
I am having the same issue with my 2011 V6 crew. Sporadic "no key detected". I've taken it to the dealer 3 times now and all they do is replace the battery. I had an argument with service advisor yesterday over this issue. If the battery was replaced and less then a month later the same issue re-appears, more then likely it's not the battery. I'm frustrated because the dealer won't do anything about it. If they showed more initiative to fix the problem, I wouldn't be as pissed off. Have any other dealers recommended what the Robles may be?

There has been a couple of WIN modules that have been replaced but nothing as a common theme in the reports. I would suggest a call to the Customer Assistance Center, if you have not already done so, so they can get a Chrysler tech involved to help solve the issue. Numbers below.

800-992-1997 United States

800-465-2001 Canada

• 10 months later...

I know this post is kind of old but I just had this issue today, I had my FOB in my purse of my 2012 DJ, and it would not recognize my key fob, I had to take the emergency key out and put it back in the FOB for it to recognize. Should I contact my dealer?

You should order yourself a new FOB and program it yourself while you still can. Seems to me like your current FOB is coming loose/apart somewhere. Or maybe your battery is loose.