Turbo charged 2.4l

I refuse to give up also! It can't be THAT hard since many cars are coming from the factory equipped with turbos. The engine internals should be fairly strong and able to handle 5 or 6 PSI, I'm mostly worried about the 4 speed taking on that heat but that should be resolved by adding an oil cooler. There's definitely room underneath the hood but something like an STS turbo mated to a dual exhaust setup might be ideal in this situation, but like you said tuning will still be an issue.

That's also what I came across after I got the itch ..

from what I can see it would probably require a tranny swap as well, if mated to a stick it loses functionality for the wife .. it were able to bolt to a bigger auto (a 6 speed auto stick would be awesome) I'd be all over it.

I think i'll start with the small first stuff like attempting to create a CAI and eventually dual exhaust ..

A turbocharged version of the Stratus was sold in Mexico, with the 2.4 L DOHC 4-cylinder engine and a 4-speed automatic transmission with AutoStick. This engine produced 168 hp (125 kW; 170 PS) at 5200 rpm and 216 pound-feet (293 N·m) of torque at 2200 rpm.

That's quite a weak engine.

I think that after the time, the labor, the parts.. The cost will be WAY more than if you had bought a journey with the pentastar.

And even then, STR4 power isn't just a turbo install. There's A TON of added hardware to get those numbers.

Not to discourage anyone already WITH the 2.4.

But if you still haven't signed anything, get the v6 if you want power.

You may be right but I got my journey by ( hey honey we got a new car today . Its a new dodge journey . And then i say well what motor did you get ..I don't know ..what kind of warranty did it come with ..I don't know . It's pretty tho she said ..how much was it ..oh she knew that...what model is it hmm not sure ... So now I'm stuck with a 4 cyl which isn't so bad .. But could use some more power

• 1 month later...

A turbocharged version of the Stratus was sold in Mexico, with the 2.4 L DOHC 4-cylinder engine and a 4-speed automatic transmission with AutoStick. This engine produced 168 hp (125 kW; 170 PS) at 5200 rpm and 216 pound-feet (293 N·m) of torque at 2200 rpm.

yes, but this info or engine specs are related to the 1st gen (Stratus R/T and Cirrus). the 2nd Gen 2001 - 2006 the engine produced in 2001 220 hp. since 2003 to 2006 230 hp. both gens were matched with the 4 speed autostick.

0 problems, a lot of power. also..used by the Federal troopers in Mexico, very fast cars. obviously, Dodge decided to use the engine in the Neon SRT4. In Mexico, all the mopar fans are crying for the glorious days of the Chrysler turbo engine cars, because in the 80´s, 90´s and part of the 2000´s the people love the power of the turbo chrysler cars. And was a mexican design since 1995 in the first stratus r/t and chrysler cirrus. Why? because the people in the 80´s who bought a "chrysler Magnun" (K car), Chrysler LeBaron and Chrysler NewYorker, loved the turbo power, in the 90´s (all were badged Chryslers) the Spirit R/T, Phantom R/T (a.k.a Chrysler LeBaron coupe USA), Chrysler LeBaron, Chrysler NewYorker, Chrysler Shadow GTS and ES (162 hps, 2.5 intercooled turbo) and the "Special Edition" Spirit and Phantom R/T 16V (2.2 225 hps) all they wanted turbo cars.

talking again, if u have the money and time and knowledge, you can modify the 2.4 GEMA engine with turbo (mopar) or other brand. I read at jeep patriot forum few guys who are installing turbo chargers in their pats!!!

• 3 months later...

Yes... you are correct but not 100%

that specs are from the 1st gen cloud cars... Cirrus and Stratus R/T (Mexico) were rated with 168 hp.

the second gen, produced: 2001-2002 (215 hp), 2003 - 2006 (230 hp).

Btw... IS THE SAME ENGINE USED IN THE NEON SRT4!!!

the engine was created in mid 90´s by Chrysler de Mexico... very popular and loved option in that country. but obviously that 2.4 is 100% different vs our 2.4 GEMA engines!

Talking about the 2.4 GEMA engine used in the Journey: yes. is the same engine used in the Caliber, Compass, Patriot, Avenger, Sebring, Lancer, Outlander. And yes. the Caliber SRT4 is basically the same 2.4 but with some changes to manage 100 more hp vs the stock engine.

And you will need to change the computer, fuel pump.. etc etc etc...

I read at jeep patriot forum, one guy is installing a turbo into his 2.4 Pat...

Edited by lord journey

I understand the want for a turbo, and if you bought used I understand having to take the 2.4L and want to add power later.
However, if you bought new, why not throw the extra $$ and get the V6. Same power as the SRT4 turbo with warranty and no hassle.

Either way, good luck on the turbo hunt.

Now, a turbo on the 3.6L would be something. Love to see this thing around 400hp.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

OK. If it's the same engine as the neon srt4(also the ptgt or any of the other 2.4s since the 94 cirrus) than you can EASILY make 250 ponies. With the size of the engine bay a standard set turbo fold and snail will likely fit snug, but the mexi manifold paired with a t3c flange turbo would likely fit better as it's closer to the head and the turbo is just mounted higher. You would have to run a custom intake tract(ditch the plastic stuff) and find a way to run IC piping and and find some place to shove an intercooler. The tricky part would be in the tuning. Idk if it can be done with a DSP tuner or something similar. But also being that this is a MAF run vehicle, it may not be much of an issue at all. FYI I'm running 230 horses from a 2.4 NA

• 2 years later...
On 8/23/2012 at 10:10 PM, Elliottf4i said:

Do you think the ECM on the DJ can be reprogrammed, or should we need to use an aftermarket ECU/ECM