New hope for 2011-2012 Journey owners with electric brake wiring woes???

alainbock

Hey everybody,

I sent an email to etrailer to see if they would have a solution for 2011-2012 Dodge Journey owners in regards to getting a 7 pin wiring harness. My original message sent is at the bottom, the reply is at the top. Let me know what you guys think. I'm thinking of possibly attempting this.

Alain,

Thank you for your interest in etrailer.com.

You will need the wiring kit ETBC7 plus the brake controller, to complete the wiring to be able to use the electric brakes on the trailer. This will adapter the 4 way to the 7 way to plug the trailer into. I do not know about running the LED lights from the vehicle to the trailer. For the aftermarket 4 pin wiring harness, there is an additional wire that is run to the battery so the harness is powered directly from the battery, and does not pull power from the lights themselves. I would like to believe that Dodge would make sure with a factory installed harness would do the same thing. I would contact Dodge to see if they have had any problems with running trailer lights from the LED taillights. We do not have an after market solution for that issue, other then installing the aftermarket 4 way wiring harness.

Please email or call 1-800-298-8924 if you have any other questions.

Thank you,

Rebecca N. ext 366

Direct Line 636-887-9366

cs@etrailer.com

Online at http://www.etrailer.com

=========================

Looking for a trailer hitch?

Use the Hitch Hunter ® at

http://www.etrailer.com/fitguide.htm

=========================

-----Original Message-----

Received: 8/7/2012 7:22 PM

To: "feedback@etrailer.com" <feedback@etrailer.com>

Subject: RE: etrailer.com ® Feedback

The Following Message Was Sent By Alain BockOn 8/7/2012 7:22:37 PM

OID:

vehicle: 2012 Dodge Journey

Hi there,

I have a 2012 Dodge Journey with the towing package which includes the transmission cooler, trailer sway control and a four pin wiring harness. I would like to tow a trailer that has electric brakes on it but there is much commotion over getting the proper wiring for it. I have done extensive research online about this and the problem seems to be between the transfer of the LED taillamps on the Journey to the trailer lights. I saw the ETBC7 Brake Controller 7 & 4 Way Installation Kit - 10 Gauge unit on your website but was wondering if this is actually the right product to install on my vehicle. I was wondering if you carry a product that either fixes this or if you carry a 7 pin wiring harness developed especially for the 2011-2012 Dodge Journey models. Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Alain Bock

Hi Alain. Thanks for the info! Just curious about the need for trailer brakes. I wouldn't think that trailer brakes would be needed on anything that falls within the Journey towing limits (2500lbs)? Is there some requirement in Canada that we just don't have in the USA? I hate to sound ignorant on these things, but I've been reading more and more need for brake controller needs on this board - all from our fellow Journey owners in Canada.

One other thing to point out, unless they changed for 2012, is that the tow prep package includes an engine oil cooler, not a tranny cooler.

Cheers!

The 2009 model came with a wiring harness that caused one to have it installed direct to the control module in the engine compartment. It bypassed the rear lamps altogether. All of you with LED lamps in the rear will experience harness issues using the tail lamps as a power source for the trailer harness due to the low power draw required to operate said lights. It may be wise to check with Dodge and learn if the control module has changed any since 2009/2010 and if the wiring harness provided then will operate on your 2011/12 models. If it will, then all of your issues will be cared for as the wiring is direct to the ultimate power supply and will allow operation of the brake controller, all trailer lamps, battery charger and easily converted for use of 7 and 4 pin harnesses (which i have on my still operating perfectly 2009 SXT.

Good luck.

Just a suggestion.

Rebus, I am looking to buy a small shrimp travel trailer which is about 2000 lbs. It does have electric brakes on it. So I would need the 7 pin wiring harness regardless if I want brakes or not. I could have just the functionality of the lights but I figure if the trailer is equipped with the brakes, might as well get wired for that as well. You are right, the Journey does not come with a transmission cooler which is unfortunate. I just checked out the Grand Caravan's towing package and it comes with a heavy duty radiator, load levelling shocks, transmission cooler and engine oil cooler. All this makes up for a 3600 lbs towing capacity. I do not understand why Dodge did not do the same with the Journey.

:shrug:

• 2 weeks later...

So today, I installed the curt hitch. Had a bit of trouble and would have needed a hoist but its done now. But while I had the mufflers hanging down and I had extra room, I was going to install my wiring harness which came with the tow prep package only to find out that they gave me the wrong harness. :ohsnap: So I called my dealership and spoke to the parts dept. I asked them to check to see if I had the right harness and gave them the part number I had which was P68080977AC. He came back to the phone and said no, you should have P68080976AC. Arrghh! Also, they didn't have it on stock, so I asked him to order one and he did and told me that it's $113 which I refuse to pay. I will speak to the manager tomorrow and explain my case. I am very disappointed with the supposed: "Tow Prep Package". While the package is not expensive, why don't they boost up the price and offer at least a hitch and the wiring already installed! I'll let you know what happens tomorrow. :rant2:

Edited by alainbock

• 5 weeks later...

alain,

I had the same problem in June. Couldn't get the wiring harness to power the 7 pin brake lights properly as the LEDs don't draw enough power. For those reading this thread from the USA, at least in Ontario, if not Canada, all camper/trailers are required to have e-brakes if built beyond a certain year. It is illegal to tow one equipped with the brakes, but not have them connected.

My guy finally got the brake lights to work etc and i had him run a hotwire from the fuse box to the 7 pin to charge the battery in the trailer and to provide power while towing. The only issue i have with the 7 pin connector is that the running lights only come on, and stay on, after pressing the brake pedal. Not a problem so far as i only tow during daylight.

I did have several problems with determining if my journey was even equipped with the tow prep package (turned out it wasn't based on the VIN), but the dealer showed me physically and on the build sheet that my Crew has the oil cooler, tranny cooler and power steering cooler installed. and assured me i was good for the 3500 lbs. I purchased the wiring harness for $113 from the dealer and also was not pleased to have to do this.

" The only issue i have with the 7 pin connector is that the running lights only come on, and stay on, after pressing the brake pedal. Not a problem so far as i only tow during daylight."

Did you use a 4 pin to 7 pin adapter?

Princess Auto has them for around $6.00.