2012 Journey Crew 3.6L - battery problems

One more question; :-)) my journey is 6 months now but still below 1600kms on it. Do you advise for its first change oil or its to early that i have to wait until 3000kms on it? Thanks!

Yes, I believe that the first oil change should be done sooner than subsequent oil changes. I did my first oil change at 100 miles. As the engine breaks in, metal from the process ends up in the oil. I believe that it is good to get the first oil out of the engine. All subsequent oil changes can be done on whatever schedule you feel comfortable with. I change my oil at 5000 miles or 5 months. Good Luck with your mileage.

Peace.

• 11 months later...

I have a 2012 doge journey bought in early jan 2012. It was and is a long journey no pun intended. After several jumps starting first days,a software upgrade and a new battery all in jan2012. Then apparent rust all along driveway in the spring, summer, this was found to be coming from the battery. The battery power cables were all changed as well as the battery box, this in july 2013, just after the so called peace of mind checks that were done during warranty oil change. Fast forward to Jan 22 2014. Battery drained, towed to dealership and battery changed after wouldn't hold charge. On battery #3 now Mileage only 18000km's. Vehicle in today the 23rd jan to have monitoring done to see if its draining while off. This was done last year with no results. Have given history of these problems from internet to manager and also wrote letter to Chrysler Canada. Asked service manager to research Chrysler data base and ask for assistance. All work has been done at dealership and all warranty but vehicle not reliable... I will be monitoring my self and I expect another new battery probably next year.... Oh also I have an electronic symtec rust module installed and serviced by dealer. It has been replaced twice and reset several times.... again all work done by dealer with knowledge of service manager... this has also been tested as a possible cause or result of the battery issues...

To be continued

2012 Journey Crew, 1657 miles, less than a month old...The battery light indicator came on...we called the dealer service, he said ok to drive, so bring it in, they would check. Stopped for an errand and when i pressed the start button, nothing....Called dealership, told us to call AAA and then come in and they would relace the battery. We did and while we were waiting we were going to see if the radio worked so i pressed the button and walla! it started,so we cancelled AAA. The battery light was no longer on but now the yellow engine light was on, we called the dealership and he said to continue in so we completed our trip to the dealer. When we got the dealer, he had a loaner ready for us and indicated that would have to check it our more closely. So we wiat to hear from them on Monday.

I'm currently having the exact same issue with my 2012 Dodge Journey RT. The first time it happened was the first year I had the car but I managed to get it into the dealer before it died. They recharged the battery and told me that the rust protection module was incorrectly installed which was draining the battery.

Here we are now a year later and the car is completely dead. Will not start. The battery saver mode clicked in, then battery light came on, then the engine light, air bag light, park assist light, abs light, everything started coming on. Wipers would barley move to clean my windshield.. The car died and would not restart. Had it towed into the dealer this morning.

Will update as I find out more from the dealer.

Here is my update on my car.

The alternator and the battery was replaced. Was told that alternator shorted out and took the battery with it. I've had the car back a few days and now its going back in again with a bad strut. Less than 50,000 km.

So far I've had:

1. Had the CPU flashed to resolve an issue with the engine.
  2. Had rear brakes and rotors replaced after the brakes, according to the mechanic, came out of their brackets damaging the rotors.
  3. I've had the alternator and battery replaced. (car died and had to be towed into the garage)
  4. and now the car is going in to have a strut replaced. (noticed knocking after getting the car back)

Not having a whole lot of luck with the dodge journey. :-(

• 9 months later...

Well looks like my 2012 Dodge Journey is going on 3rd set of rear brakes.

I've been complaining about the back brakes smoking at times, had it in to the dealer in July asking them to check it and they said it was fine. Had the rear brakes and rotors replaced for this reason in Sept 2013 and here I am getting the brakes done again.

I've been complaining about the car being sluggish and hi rpm on hills. This is the reason they flashed the CPU in step one (my previous post) above. Thinking it has to do with the back brakes sticking.

When I spoke to the dealer about the history and my complaints they tell me they have no record of me complaining.

I will never buy a dodge again as long as I live. When my children are old enough I will discourage them from buying one as well.

Not a happy camper right now.

Edited by Dwise

@Lobitz68

Nobody expects their new vehicle to be PERFECT and NOTHING to go wrong with them. But when there is a fault with the vehicle you expect them to resolve it.

Regardless of if they are Toyota, Honda, Ford, Dodge or any other brand.

@Lobitz68

Nobody expects their new vehicle to be PERFECT and NOTHING to go wrong with them. But when there is a fault with the vehicle you expect them to resolve it.

Regardless of if they are Toyota, Honda, Ford, Dodge or any other brand.

I can't (and didn't) argue with that point... However, writing off an entire brand because of seemingly trivial issues is ridiculous... I could understand if your transmission needed to be replaced several times or something like that, but even then it is extreme to write off the entire brand.

Makes no difference to me if you choose to leave the brand and bad mouth them to everyone you know. My point (though riddled with sarcasm to emulate the ridiculous reaction you had) is that all brands have issues, especially small ones like you describe in your post, and IF you find a car that is trouble free, you simply got lucky. Mechanical things break, that is the long and short of it. It sucks you had issues and it sounds like your dealer isn't doing a good job either helping you or explaining what they did to verify your vehicle was functioning as expected. But, that doesn't make your statement any less ridiculous.

My opinion, my experience. If anybody is over reacting its you. You own stock in Dodge or something? LOL

If they would resolve the issue there wouldn't be one. When something is defective (brakes and rotors going every year is not normal) they should own the issue and fix it. (and not at my expense)

There's no overreaction on my part. The provide a crappy service and a crappy product they don't get my business. It's as simple as that.

Edited by Dwise

Ha! Not sure what I am reacting to at all, let alone over reacting too, but okay... I may not quote this exactly right, but "the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over, and expecting a different result."

You're right, the brakes on the early 2012 builds and earlier are not up to par for such a heavy vehicle. Rather than having the dealer replace the parts constantly with the same thing, UPGRADE them. Seems pretty obvious to me and there are posts all over the forum about people who have successfully done so and are now experiencing no issues. Just the headache of having to deal with the issue more than once should be enough to pull the trigger on that one. Should cost no more than a couple hundred bucks... Well worth the time of saving the trip to the dealer. No amount of complaining is going to get them to service your vehicle with parts other than what it came with, they will not do the upgrade for you...that's how dealers work.

Enjoy whatever vehicle you end up in. I hope it is issue free...

• 7 months later...

2011 sxt journey after battery problem fix. I had problem from battery leaking Rust. they change each year for 4 years Battery rack and Battery. the problem always come back now no more warranty and stuck with the same problem and a driveway full of Rust. This is a new truck.

2011 sxt journey after battery problem fix. I had problem from battery leaking Rust. they change each year for 4 years Battery rack and Battery. the problem always come back now no more warranty and stuck with the same problem and a driveway full of Rust. This is a new truck.

I don't have time to do the search for you, but this is a known issue with a fix... If you took it in each time and it keeps happening then they should work with you outside of the warranty period.

• 5 months later...

my wife's 2012 journey we are now on 7 batteries just replaced the last one in November and yesterday morning it was cold had to jump start. The last time the dodge dealer told us it was the glove box light. Today the doors locked with the fob in it and it never did that before I think the car is an electrical nightmare and lemon it was great when the battery isn't going dead. The dealer doesn't seem to care and neither does chrysler. I told the dealer about the forum where other people have the same problem they don't care and said this is the first time they ever heard of the problem.

my wife's 2012 journey we are now on 7 batteries just replaced the last one in November and yesterday morning it was cold had to jump start. The last time the dodge dealer told us it was the glove box light. Today the doors locked with the fob in it and it never did that before I think the car is an electrical nightmare and lemon it was great when the battery isn't going dead. The dealer doesn't seem to care and neither does chrysler. I told the dealer about the forum where other people have the same problem they don't care and said this is the first time they ever heard of the problem.

7 batteries. Wow. Maybe try another dealer if the one you use does not care.

• 4 months later...

I'm on battery number 3 and this time the dealer has said its not under warranty quite frustrating. they have flashed the BCM and replaced the alternator but still an ongoing issue this time it died with my wife out with the kids. good thing I've kept my rusty old ford running

. seems to be the only reliable wheels I have

I'm on battery number 3 and this time the dealer has said its not under warranty quite frustrating. they have flashed the BCM and replaced the alternator but still an ongoing issue this time it died with my wife out with the kids. good thing I've kept my rusty old ford running

. seems to be the only reliable wheels I have

Welcome to the forum!

Welcome to the forum. I just replaced the battery on my 2014 with 12,000 miles on it. Didn't even bother going to the Dealer. Just took it to my local friendly Tire Shop! One day good; next day dead. This is the 3rd new car that this has happened to me. Probably a bad cell. $75 labor to swap out the battery. Ouch. If I ever run into the idiot engineer that decided where to place the battery, I have saved my old one for him. And it won't be pretty!

My 2013 still has the original factory battery. I pulled it out cleaned the salt and sand from the Tray, Cleaned and Lubed the Battery Terminals. Lubed the mounting hardware. In my Owners manual on the maintenance schedule a battery terminal cleaning and service is called for at every oil change. I wonder if this is actually being done as stated on the schedule?

Hank