2012 Journey Crew 3.6L - battery problems

I've been reading the forums about the 2011 battery problems. I am having the exact problems with my 1 month old 2012 Journey Crew 3.6L. Went to start it this morning, got the message that no key was detected, display was haywire saying temp was -40, then ticking sound from under the hood, then hazards flashing spastically inside, then everything went dead. Does anyone know of any fixes that apply to the battery drain problems on the 2012 models?

I am charging the battery now and would like to have some info to take with me to the dealership.

thanks

• Official Dodge Support

I've been reading the forums about the 2011 battery problems. I am having the exact problems with my 1 month old 2012 Journey Crew 3.6L. Went to start it this morning, got the message that no key was detected, display was haywire saying temp was -40, then ticking sound from under the hood, then hazards flashing spastically inside, then everything went dead. Does anyone know of any fixes that apply to the battery drain problems on the 2012 models?

I am charging the battery now and would like to have some info to take with me to the dealership.

thanks

SLS,

There is no TSB's on the 2012's for a battery drain issue. Perhaps the battery just needs to be replaced. Let us know what the dealer does and if it cures the issues you are experiencing.

• 1 month later...

2012 Journey Crew, 1657 miles, less than a month old...The battery light indicator came on...we called the dealer service, he said ok to drive, so bring it in, they would check. Stopped for an errand and when i pressed the start button, nothing....Called dealership, told us to call AAA and then come in and they would relace the battery. We did and while we were waiting we were going to see if the radio worked so i pressed the button and walla! it started,so we cancelled AAA. The battery light was no longer on but now the yellow engine light was on, we called the dealership and he said to continue in so we completed our trip to the dealer. When we got the dealer, he had a loaner ready for us and indicated that would have to check it our more closely. So we wiat to hear from them on Monday.

thanks

I haven't had the battery problem, but I have had the -40 problem. Taking it in today to have it looked at. Since there is a TSB out for battery draining I'll have them check that out also.

The build date on my Journey is May 2012, so I would say mine is a mid year build, so maybe I don't have the battery problem, but since there is a TSB out for battery draining I'll have them check that out also.

• Official Dodge Support

2012 Journey Crew, 1657 miles, less than a month old...The battery light indicator came on...we called the dealer service, he said ok to drive, so bring it in, they would check. Stopped for an errand and when i pressed the start button, nothing....Called dealership, told us to call AAA and then come in and they would relace the battery. We did and while we were waiting we were going to see if the radio worked so i pressed the button and walla! it started,so we cancelled AAA. The battery light was no longer on but now the yellow engine light was on, we called the dealership and he said to continue in so we completed our trip to the dealer. When we got the dealer, he had a loaner ready for us and indicated that would have to check it our more closely. So we wiat to hear from them on Monday.

Pknier,

Please let us know what the dealer finds out about your vehicle and what they did to fix it.

Edited by DodgeCares

• Official Dodge Support

I haven't had the battery problem, but I have had the -40 problem. Taking it in today to have it looked at. Since there is a TSB out for battery draining I'll have them check that out also.

The build date on my Journey is May 2012, so I would say mine is a mid year build, so maybe I don't have the battery problem, but since there is a TSB out for battery draining I'll have them check that out also.

Many of the battery drain issues were linked to the radio. Hopefully they correct the issue you are experiencing.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 2010 R/T AWD - about 60000 km. Travelling in Michigan this summer with small tent trailer. One morning, go to start, click click...no starter at all but radio worked. Jump started, took to dealer. Flash update on computer for battery issue, they said I should be ok - just reprogramming and charged battery. Went back to campsite. Next morning,no start. Now I'm upset. Back to dealer, performed an old fashion load test, battery no good. Replaced battery. Called and wrote to Chrysler indicating they knew they had a problem, that's why there was a flash update. No reimbursement. Fed up with defects. Multiple brake jobs, carbon fouling of cylinder heads, AWD seal leaks,replaced thermostat twice. Nice car to drive but...have 70 000 km now. Brakes going again...it will have to shake for a while before I replace rotors again, now its out of extended brake warranty.

• 1 month later...

I'm having similar problems with my 2012 Journey. Battery is going dead in just over a week. The car is currently at the Chrysler dealer, who just informed me that they have completed their diagnostic tests and have found nothing. The battery is charging and holding a charge (at least for the duration of their test). Their suggestion is to hook the Journey up to a trickle charger, which is difficult to do at Detroit Metro Airport. I can read my tire pressures and many other functions, but there is NO provision for battery voltage. Second suggestion is to keep the key fobs at least 30 feet from the vehicle, since any closer than that, the passive electronics are activated and seeking various modules while drawing battery current. Interesting suggestion, but not very practical and not entirely accurate, since we have always kept the keys near the garage door and this battery issue was not present in June, when we picked up the vehicle. Third suggestion was to use the "shipping disconnect" which is present on my 2010 Caliber, but removed in 2012 for a "dealer activated shipping key", which is not available to the public. Fifth suggestion is to go to an auto parts store and buy a manual battery disconnect switch. Additional info: the ECU toasted itself last month and had to be replaced.

Just read about all the similar battery problems and the possibility of the passive entry button drawing in moisture. We have had a lot of freezing and thawing the last few weeks and moisture collecting of the windows and under body metal is obvious. Anything more current on this button issue and, by the way, how can you turn the passive entry system off?

I'm having similar problems with my 2012 Journey. Battery is going dead in just over a week. The car is currently at the Chrysler dealer, who just informed me that they have completed their diagnostic tests and have found nothing. The battery is charging and holding a charge (at least for the duration of their test). Their suggestion is to hook the Journey up to a trickle charger, which is difficult to do at Detroit Metro Airport. I can read my tire pressures and many other functions, but there is NO provision for battery voltage. Second suggestion is to keep the key fobs at least 30 feet from the vehicle, since any closer than that, the passive electronics are activated and seeking various modules while drawing battery current. Interesting suggestion, but not very practical and not entirely accurate, since we have always kept the keys near the garage door and this battery issue was not present in June, when we picked up the vehicle. Third suggestion was to use the "shipping disconnect" which is present on my 2010 Caliber, but removed in 2012 for a "dealer activated shipping key", which is not available to the public. Fifth suggestion is to go to an auto parts store and buy a manual battery disconnect switch. Additional info: the ECU toasted itself last month and had to be replaced.

Just read about all the similar battery problems and the possibility of the passive entry button drawing in moisture. We have had a lot of freezing and thawing the last few weeks and moisture collecting of the windows and under body metal is obvious. Anything more current on this button issue and, by the way, how can you turn the passive entry system off?

All these solutions are garbage-in the past there was a problem with this happening

and there was a TSB for a flash to the Body Control Module which was staying awake

instead of shutting down after ignition was turned off.

This was posted on this board previously,the passive entry sense with regards to key

distance is set to about 1.5 meters (abt 5 ft) so I doubt that is doing it.

Call customer service and complain about your stupid dealer and for goodness sake

Detroit is full of other dealers.

Not experiencing any of these issues... yet (fingers crossed). Got our 2012 in June so I would assume it was assembled before May 2012. Where do you find the date? Do TSB's get mailed out cause we have not received anything.

The build date is on the drivers door it shows as MDH or Month-Day-Hour.

TSBs don't get mailed to owners it is internal facility notice dealers

usually driven by specific customer complaint and VIN # associated to that

vin number.

Picked up Journey with following recommendations:

1) Keep on charger

2) Keep keys away from vehicle

3) Turn off passive entry feature

"All modules were updated" according to the service report. Only up side is this is a lease vehicle, which will be returned at end of lease. We will also be going back to GM cars, or maybe try a Ford hybrid this time. Dodge may have one the battle, but once again they have lost another customer!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 1 month later...

Have the same issue... -40 not starting, etc. Dash lights dim missing key fob etc. Went in today and they were blaming my SD card in the dash. They flashed the HF module and told me to take out the SD card when the engine is not on..... Somehow I wonder.... Build date Dec 30 2011... DJ 2012

When I mentioned the bcm issue with the consultant he seemed reluctant to take ANY advice OR input from me... Arrogant and I'm not anywhere closer to fixing this issue.

Edited by D-BesT

• Official Dodge Support
Have the same issue... -40 not starting, etc. Dash lights dim missing key fob etc. Went in today and they were blaming my SD card in the dash. They flashed the HF module and told me to take out the SD card when the engine is not on..... Somehow I wonder.... Build date Dec 30 2011... DJ 2012

When I mentioned the bcm issue with the consultant he seemed reluctant to take ANY advice OR input from me... Arrogant and I'm not anywhere closer to fixing this issue.

best,

Send me a PM with your VIN, Name and dealer name if you need any help finding a resolution..

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="DodgeCACares" data-cid="26057" data-time="1360269626"><p>

Chris,<br />

<br />

Did this resolve your issue?</p></blockquote>

It resolve the issue regarding electrical and batery dead. So far im happy with it..

But upgrading the PCM havnt resolved yet my fuel economy issue. Im still on 30+L/100km. Cant wait it to be broken in.

One more question; :-)) my journey is 6 months now but still below 1600kms on it. Do you advise for its first change oil or its to early that i have to wait until 3000kms on it? Thanks!