Finally I'm towing the travel trailer...

oracle

So I installed the factory wiring that I found in the trunk - Very Easy

I installed the Curt Hitch - Easy but you need at least 3 hours to get it done.

Then I got the Brake controlled installed by Hitch Experts in Calgary and voila! I'm towing a 2750 lbs (dry) travel trailer.

My thoughts are:

The Journey is capable of towing up to 3500 (as per the user's manual) but something heavy you really-really-really want to have the brake controller installed.

Here are some pics

Here's a picture of the hitch, notice the 7pin connector they attached to the hitch, very neat and secure and no drilling. Last picture is the only connection to the battery + post. very neat and professional, if you noticed is fused.

I'm happy! Tomorrow let's do some serious camping but in the comfort of a trailer. No more tent camping for me!

2bb7614e.jpg

1eb2ff8a.jpg

430faf9f.jpg

8b517558.jpg

bfb013ad.jpg

Yes it is but there are equalizer bars that definitely help, without them it would be an in lower which is too much cause there is no a lot of travel left and you don't want your rear suspension to bottom out.

My impression after a weekend of hauling a 3000lbs trailer:

Journey will have no issues towing but you don't want to push it too hard. Going uphill the Journey will not keep up with traffic and I don't want to push it hard so expect real interesting moments when merging, etc..

Mileage dropped to about 16mpg (14.7 l/100kms). Brakes worked remarkably well. The trailer brakes are assisting so I'm not concerned but I just hope I don't have to have an emergency stop cause I'm not betting the thing will come to a halt on a dime.

I had to use manual mode so I control the revs, I didn't feel the 6th to 5th to 6th constant shifting while I was in "D", I think the Journey was well aware of the weight and only seldom shifted to 6th, most of the time it was 5th, but then again that was just for about 1/2 hour, the rest of the time it was me doing the shifting.

I'm very happy with the journey and its capabilities of towing but I'm concerned that the newer models dropped the towing capacity to 2500. Why?? To be fair, Ford is doing the same..

Enjoy your summer!

affeb2ee.jpg

60b1d85a.jpg

I've never understood why they dropped the towing capacity to 2500 lbs, especially when the pentastar has a lot more power than the 3.5 L. I'd be pissed if I bought my Journey with the intention of towing something over 2500 lbs.

• 1 month later...

Hi

The R/T 2009 does not have a temp gauge.. Not a huge issue here in Canada since the weather is never way too hot to cook transmissions (with oil cooler) but I have retired the Journey from towing.. (see new thread: http://www.dodgejourneyforum.com/index.php?/topic/3440-now-im-retiring-the-journey-from-towing/)

Do you have the Tranny temp. read-out on the driver info screen on the 2009 R/T model?

It would be intresting to know what the temp differance is when towing and not towing?

I didn't check mine differance yet , but it's only two ATV'S and a double snowmobile flat trailer....Caper..........

Edited by oracle

The R/T 2009 does not have a temp gauge..

Very nice Oracle. Neither does my 2010 even though it has the Dodge trailering package (transmission cooler) as I said in another thread I myself have not towed any where my weight limit so I can't comment on this. In my Owner's Manual they specifically said I could tow 3500 lbs.I was wondering if either Dodge rep could comment on this and confirm the proper weight that could be towed by a Journey.

Terry