Oil Change Message

Sommers

I purchased at 2012 Journey Crew on May 31st 2012. (about 8 weekes ago) At 3500 miles the oil change message appeared. I called the service department to schedule an appointment at the Dealer I purchased the JOurney at and they told me it was incorrect, it was a factory mistake and to manually reset it and bring it in at 8000 miles. Is this true?

Find another dealer, quickly! Factory mistake??? Jesus, they are just making shit up.

I always do my oil changes based on when the EVIC says it's time and it has almost always been around 5500 - 6000 kms, which is right in line with your 3500 miles.

No way in hell I would go 8000 miles (13000 kms) between oil changes, especially with the first oil change.

that is what your manual says,but the dealer i use bugs the hell out of me sending me emails and when i take it in for the free oil changes they put the little sticker on the windshield with the next oil change listed at 3500 miles. its up to you to decide when you want to take it in your choice. ive just switched over to syn. oil so ill be going longer between the changes now. happy trails

• Official Dodge Support

I purchased at 2012 Journey Crew on May 31st 2012. (about 8 weekes ago) At 3500 miles the oil change message appeared. I called the service department to schedule an appointment at the Dealer I purchased the JOurney at and they told me it was incorrect, it was a factory mistake and to manually reset it and bring it in at 8000 miles. Is this true?

Sommers,

Below is what Chrysler says about the issue in the manual.

The Scheduled Maintenance services listed in this manual must be done at the times or mileages specified to protect your vehicle warranty and ensure the best vehicle performance and reliability. More frequent maintenance may be needed for vehicles in severe operating conditions, such as dusty areas and very short trip driving. Inspection and service should also be done anytime a malfunction is suspected.

The oil change indicator system will remind you that it is time to take your vehicle in for scheduled maintenance.

On Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC) equipped vehicles “Oil Change Required” will be displayed in the EVIC and a single chime will sound, indicating that an oil change is necessary.

On Non-EVIC equipped vehicles “Change Oil” will flash in the instrument cluster odometer and a single chime will sound, indicating that an oil change is necessary.

Based on engine operation conditions the oil change indicator message will illuminate, this means that service is required for your vehicle. Have your vehicle serviced as soon as possible, within the next 500 miles (805 km).

NOTE:

• The oil change indicator message will not monitor the time since the last oil change. Change your vehicles oil if it has been 6 months since your last oil change even if the oil change indicator message is NOT illuminated.
  • <a name="GUID-3B3642CB-D1AA-4D3A-BEA3-A684870D4F2B">Change your engine oil more often if you drive your vehicle off-road for an extended period of time.
  • Under no circumstances should oil change intervals exceed 8,000 miles (13 000 km) or six months, whichever comes first.

• Official Dodge Support

Is there some where that shows how much oil life is left? On my Chev I could see the % left and it warned at 5% I believe.

CC,

There is nothing that shows the percentage of oil life left.

Thank you for your quick responses. I appreciate it. I am also dealing with the gas tank only filling up 7/8ths of a tank, my brakes squeak very loudly, the dealer applied a treatment to them but it has not worked. I also have shuttering when coming to a stop at low speeds. I believe its a transmission issue. And to top it off the clock runs fast, about a minute a weak. After only 8 weeks I am exhausted!

I'll never understand why a vehicle with a GPS receiver embedded in it doesn't use the extremely accurate derived clock to keep the clock on the display up to date.

Sommers; If you were closer to where I am I'd offer to etst drive your vehicle to see if the issue is transmission or disks.

My oil change indicator comes on 6 months to the day from when I reset the oil change reminder and while you probably have 7000 miles of life left in the oil at 3500 miles, fresh oil in the crank case doesn't hurt.

I'll never understand why a vehicle with a GPS receiver embedded in it doesn't use the extremely accurate derived clock to keep the clock on the display up to date.

I don't have the integrated gps, but I find that one minute of error a week is too much: I was used to adjust the clock only two times a year (for DST), now I have to adjust it every other week!

Wow this car is going to be the most expensive vehicle I have ever had to maintain. Just got off the phone with the dealer, and they told me they don't care what oil I use, and that it's 3 months or 5000 km's according to manufacturer's specifications, for warranty purposes...

Amsoil is REALLY going to make a killing off me!! since my first oil chance in may (after putting on 3000 km on origional oil), I've put 2000 KM on the car (and oil) and it's time to change my oil again!

The dealership is full of crap. The friggin' owner's manual says to change the oil at a maximum of every 6 months or 13000 kms (not that I would ever go that long between oil changes). The dealership is seriously misinformed.

I change my oil when the EVIC says to, which is typically 6000 kms of normal city driving but once it was close to 10000 kms of mostly highway driving.

• 4 months later...

You can give a man a fish and he'll have food for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll feed himself for life.

I ran a tech support group for a communications equipment company for 10 years and discovered that a relatively small group of people would call and bother my staff repeatedly for trivial matters that could be found in the owner's manual. We adopted a policy where we would ask that they take out their manuals and follow along, showing them where the answers were and advising them to read the document fully so they could appreciate the nuances of the product and to please do this before calling back with another issue. If they didn't have a manual we would mail one to them for free - once.

After they called back 3 times, if the problem was one that was dealt with in the manual we'd refer them back to the manual without providing the walk-trough and they'd often get back to us, thanking us for making them read it through because they would discover things the product could do that they'd never realised.

The term for this was to tell them to RTFM (Read The F*cking Manual).

Try it. Your very complex new vehicle will thank you.

Edited by bramfrank

For the life of me, I cannot understand why you haven't gotten rid of your Journey as there seems to be virtually nothing that you like about it. Practically every post you make is a complaint about something on your Journey.

By the way, my cruise control works perfectly.

My DJ sometimes gets into a mode where it won't recognise the 'enable' (upper left) button and so can't be engaged. This usually clears within a few minutes and from then on it can be set just fine. Since it is intermittant, I haven't bothered to mention it to my dealer.

Go figure.

• Official Dodge Support

Hi all anyone know how to reset oil message change display, after changing the new oil. thanks

Ed,

To reset the oil change indicator system

(after performing the scheduled maintenance), perform

the following procedure:

1. Without pressing the brake pedal, push the ENGINE

START/STOP button and cycle the ignition to the ON/

RUN position (Do not start the engine.)

2. Fully depress the accelerator pedal, slowly, three times

within 10 seconds.

3. Without pressing the brake pedal, push the ENGINE

START/STOP button once to return the ignition to the

OFF/LOCK position.

NOTE: If the indicator message illuminates when you

start the vehicle, the oil change indicator system did not

reset. If necessary, repeat this procedure.

Chris;

I take issue with the concept of spoon feeding people information that they can find by lifting their heads a bit and looking around. Referring to my post from last week, you have to ask what else the poster doesn't know about his vehicle? What oil did he use? How did he figure out what grade he needed? What tire pressure does he run? How much did he torque the drain bolt? Was a crush washer required? What oil filter did he use?

What other parts of the basic maintenance and what other features of the vehicle is he clueless about?

It is my studied opinion as someone who was a professional provider of help that the best way to help people is to direct them so that they learn to help themselves.

The reset procedure has been posted several times on this site. It is almost certainly available with a simple Google search (just a sec, I'll check: Yup - there's even a couple of videos on Youtube for the uber-lazy) and, of course there's the manual that you quoted from.

As far as I'm concerned you did not do the owner of the vehicle any favours by posting the procedure yet another time - no offense to you intended.

Edited by bramfrank

• Official Dodge Support

Chris;

I take issue with the concept of spoon feeding people information that they can find by lifting their heads a bit and looking around. Referring to my post from last week, you have to ask what else the poster doesn't know about his vehicle? What oil did he use? How did he figure out what grade he needed? What tire pressure does he run? How much did he torque the drain bolt? Was a crush washer required? What oil filter did he use?

What other parts of the basic maintenance and what other features of the vehicle is he clueless about?

It is my studied opinion as someone who was a professional provider of help that the best way to help people is to direct them so that they learn to help themselves.

The reset procedure has been posted several times on this site. It is almost certainly available with a simple Google search (just a sec, I'll check: Yup - there's even a couple of videos on Youtube for the uber-lazy) and, of course there's the manual that you quoted from.

As far as I'm concerned you did not do the owner of the vehicle any favours by posting the procedure yet another time - no offense to you intended.

I can understand what you are saying but I cannot assume anything. Perhaps the customer didn't even do their own oil change and the dealer forgot to re-set it? Or some other oil change place did it and forgot to re-set it.Looks like Ed is new to the forum and went through the trouble of registering to be a part of the community here, which I welcome. The last thing I want to do is alienate a new forum member for asking a question.

Edited by DodgeCares

I can understand what you are saying but I cannot assume anything. Perhaps the customer didn't even do their own oil change and the dealer forgot to re-set it? Or some other oil change place did it and forgot to re-set it.Looks like Ed is new to the forum and went through the trouble of registering to be a part of the community here, which I welcome. The last thing I want to do is alienate a new forum member for asking a question.

Well he said HE changed the oil.

Again, he has the manual. The information is out there. He only needed to look it up or type key words into the forum search or into Google.

You wouldn't have been alienating him by not responding, by the way.