Engine shutting off while in operation

jrrock26

Hi, I'm new to the forum. Just trying to get feedback, help, or compare experiences with others. I have a 2011 Journey, bought May 2011. I've put about 16500 miles on it. April 2012 the car started shutting off whenever we stopped at stop signs, red lights, & etc... happened probably once a week. Didn't have much concern, wasn't sure if it was bad gas or not. In May, my wife was driving it at about 55MPH and the engine stalled, when she restarted it, the vehicle went into safe mode and had to be restarted a few times to get it out of safe mode. We then decided to take it to the dealer. They replaced a PCM and ran some updates. Recieved the car a week later, and it malfunctioned again on the first day we had it back. Took it back to the dealer, they replaced cam phasers, injectors, and more updates. Recieved it about 3 days later. First day once again it would stall out while driving, but this time it would restart itself and with the delay it would cause the car to buck when picking back up. Kind of like they programmed the code to restart if it stalls in operation. It did stall out completely one time after that, while in reverse and when I we pushed the button to restart it, it would crank for a few second and stopped and automatically recrank again until it finally started. We took it back again to the dealership. This time a "STAR" field tech from Chrysler came out and they replaced the engine wire harness and injector wire harness. Once again we were called on Friday to come pick up the car. We drove towards home and made it 20 miles from the dealership and going up the mountain, the engine stalled again, picked back up and the car went into safe mode. I had to pull over, shut the car off, and restart it. The service department had closed by that time, so I contacted Chrysler and am still waiting to hear a response from them as to what they can do with the car. The engine light will come on every now and then, but it usually only stays on until the car is restarted again. So, I've been paying for this Journey and haven't driven it anywhere other than back and forth to the dealership for 3 months. Personally I'm frustrated with being a test dummy for the dealership and Chrysler "see how it runs now", that sort of thing. I apologize for my rant, but anyone else out there having the same/similar issue with your 2011 Journey? Any advice?

Thanks,

Moparman, I'm not sure what code it is setting. To be honest the dealership has said that no codes appear even when the check engine light has come on. It really seems like the car stalls out, but at the same time resets itself, like nothing ever happened. I know one time, they said they were able to pull a code from the vehicle, but they said the code itself only pertained to needing an update and that it was not directly related to the defect. Also, to the best of my knowledge this is the only 2011 Journey that is having this issue "according to Chrysler and internet research". Lucky me, I think my odds of hitting the lottery would have been higher than this happening.

• 1 year later...

Just wondering if you ever got this resolved?

We bought a used 2011 journey back in Sept. and it stalls out at least once per week while we're driving it...very scary!

I saw they recalled the 2010's for the same issue, why have they not recalled the 2011's? I've seen numerous posts online about it happening!!!

Just wondering if you ever got this resolved?

We bought a used 2011 journey back in Sept. and it stalls out at least once per week while we're driving it...very scary!

I saw they recalled the 2010's for the same issue, why have they not recalled the 2011's? I've seen numerous posts online about it happening!!!

Did you get a warranty with it? Have you had it checked out at all?

Did you get a warranty with it? Have you had it checked out at all?

only had 3 month warranty, calling chrysler today. I've been researching online and it is a common complaint...they recalled the 2010's for the exact same thing but not the 2011.

I've come across many online complaints and some people are rear-ended due to this!!!!! It's even listed on this lemon law website http://www.lemonlaw.com/wordpress/?s=2011+journey

Not happy at all :(

only had 3 month warranty, calling chrysler today. I've been researching online and it is a common complaint...they recalled the 2010's for the exact same thing but not the 2011.

I've come across many online complaints and some people are rear-ended due to this!!!!! It's even listed on this lemon law website http://www.lemonlaw.com/wordpress/?s=2011+journey

Not happy at all :(

Good luck.

• 1 year later...

I"m having the same problem and the dealer is telling me that their is no codes. My car when it stalls wont turn on until the computer resets. It happen to me this weekend and the only way I was able to start it was by removing the battery cable. Does any body know if we can do a class action law suit and maybe get their attention that way.

I"m having the same problem and the dealer is telling me that their is no codes. My car when it stalls wont turn on until the computer resets. It happen to me this weekend and the only way I was able to start it was by removing the battery cable. Does any body know if we can do a class action law suit and maybe get their attention that way.

Try another dealer. Why would you want to make some already filthy rich lawyer even richer?

The 2009/2010 Journey (and a few other Chrysler vehicles) had an NHTSA mandated recall regarding the FOBIK keys and WIN (wireless ignition) module. The physical mechanism that holds those FOBIKs in the WIN socket were not physically strong enough to keep the key from turning from RUN to ACC under certain circumstances.

Starting in 2011, all Dodge Journey vehicles were sold standard with Keyless Enter-N-Go. Any ignition issues once the vehicle is in operation is something completely separate from that recall.

Lemon Laws for US Pacific Coast (obtained through links from www.lemonlawusa.com):

California - 18 months/18,000 miles

Oregon - 1 year/12,000 miles, specifically applies to leased vehicles

Washington - 24 months/24,000 miles (of which at least one repair and/or 15 of the 30 days out of service must be within the first 12 months/12,000 miles), specifically applies to leased vehicles

Lemon Laws are very specific and are not a catch-all when your mechanic of choice can't figure out your issue. The most recent vehicle in question is a 2011. There is no lemon law in the USA that will cover that vehicle. Even if it sat on a California dealership lot for 3 years before first sale, it's still beyond 18 months. Your options are to continue hunting down the cause of the issue (utilizing dealerships or independent mechanics), report the issue to NHTSA and hope they open an investigation (which may still result in you paying for the repair due to it not being an inherent safety defect, pending the outcome of their investigation), or sell it/trade it in - you will get current market value for that vehicle and no more.

• 3 months later...

Hi, i am writing from Argentina, and i am having the same problem with a 2012 SE Journey. i ant to the dealer twice and they don´t know how to fix it.... last week I got almost killed in the middle of a busy avenue.

Don´t know what to do...

Does anybody had a solution with this???

• 1 month later...

We purchased a 2016 Journey back in June. We had this problem happen during the test drive the day we bought it, and was told by the service department they couldn't find anything wrong with it since no warning lights came on. It has done it twice more on extremely busy roads during rush times, and now they are telling us we have to leave it with them to see if they can get it to do the same thing. The first time it happened there were 18 miles on the vehicle. Now it has less than 2100 and we're still dealing with the issue. Not happy owners!!:rant2:

Edited by mjohnson75662

For any issue that does not happen 100% of the time:

Take notes as to exactly what conditions are present when it happens (weather, temperature, vehicle speed, gear selection, brake application, throttle/no throttle, etc.)  If you can recreate the conditions, you can get the dealer to recreate issue.  If a dealer can recreate an issue, they can fix it.  If it can't be duplicated, it's "not an issue."

That doesn't mean the issue doesn't exist, merely that the presence of the issue cannot be proven to a point that a mechanic can repair it.  Any information above "sometimes this happens" will help get your issue resolved.

• 3 months later...

Hi - I'm also new to the forum since I googled the same problem - I own a 2014 Journey - and two days ago, while driving at 45 miles an hour - I noticed I could barely turn the wheel - thankfully I was close to a fire station and was able to turn in - and found that I could barely step on the brake - I placed the car in park - and was shocked to realize the car wasn't even running .... how could this happen?  I restarted it and it seemed to start right up - no lights came on at any time while this happened or when I started it -- I do have an extended warranty - but when I called my dealer they said they would have to charge me $100 to look at the car, plus I had to pay to rent a loaner car if they didn't find any issues - I then called another local deal and they said they would not charge me the $100 but i would have to pay $42 to rent a loaner car if they didn't find any issues.   Well - guess what - they couldn't find any issues!  Now - I'm scared to drive my own car -- HELP!!!

• 7 months later...

Hi! I've been having issues with my 2016 Journey completely shutting off. The first time it happened was 3 weeks ago I was getting off the freeway I couldn't push down on the brakes and I had no power steering. I managed to get the car stopped, had to restart it and then everything was fine. Took it to the dealership and they couldn't find any codes and told me nothing was wrong. Same thing happened again today when I was coming to a stop. I put the car in gear pushed the button and it restarted. This really scares me since I'm getting ready for a road trip.  So far I'm noticing this is only happening when I'm running the air and coming to a stop. The dealership hasn't been able to duplicate. Not sure what to do.