Hello everyone! I have not had to post much because my Journey has treated me better than most. Today, however, was the first glitch. When I shifted into reverse the screen for my rear camera just went black. All I can see is the phrase "check entire surroundings" but there is no picture. I got out and checked the obvious (missing, covered in tape, damaged, etc). The unit looks fine from the outside, so I'm dreading its a wiring issue. It's a 2009 SXT AWD with almost 74,000 km so warranty is out of the question. Any suggestions?

Unfortunately that didn't do it. It's been on and off several times since I noticed the problem. I guess it's time to get used to running without it because it sure isn't gonna be worth the hundreds of dollars that the dealer is gonna charge me to repair it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just had this problem on my 2011 Journey R/T within the last couple of days: same symptoms, I got it going again a couple of times by restarting the engine, but then it died completely. I took it to the dealer today and they've replaced the camera under warranty.

Thinking back, I remember slamming that liftgate just like I used to do on my old van (that didn't have a back-up camera). Maybe I should be a little more gentle in future. Maybe that's why the high-end SUV-s come standard with power-liftgate...

Anyway, that's my $0.02, cheers!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Good lord, same thing on mine. Same issue as Olaf explained, one day it was black with "check surroundings", worked fine after that but then got progressively worse until it pooched out all together. First time I brought it in they replaced a module in the cabin area, that did not work so they ordered a whole new NAV unit. That did not work either so they ordered a new cam. Still waiting to see if that does it. Love the vehicle but between the electronics and the brakes it's starting to lose it's appeal to me.

In hindsight I recall closing the hatch the day I bought it from the dealer when I got home and one of the pumps came free causing the hatch not to close, I popped it back in and it closed fine but maybe that was a sign of potential issues to come. I noticed a couple panels not aligning properly at the tail lamps but I'll put that in another post.

Some bad mojo or something.

• 1 month later...

Just happened on my 2010 R/T. 50,000 km and still under warranty.

I reached behind the infotainment LCD and felt the wires and gave them a good shove to no avail.

Dealership says it is the camera (I do not know that they did any diagnosis other than clean the camera lens while putting on the winter tires today).

If I dont post here again, the camera was smoothly replaced and all is well.

Other than the rear rotors which now need replacement. arggghhh..

• Official Dodge Support

Just happened on my 2010 R/T. 50,000 km and still under warranty.

I reached behind the infotainment LCD and felt the wires and gave them a good shove to no avail.

Dealership says it is the camera (I do not know that they did any diagnosis other than clean the camera lens while putting on the winter tires today).

If I dont post here again, the camera was smoothly replaced and all is well.

Other than the rear rotors which now need replacement. arggghhh..

Elmwoodie,

Let us know how you make out with the camera and if you need any help, send me a PM.

• 4 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Had my Journey in for service today and had the camera checked. Dealer said they found a code of B156D.00, performed needed diagnostics and ordered a replacement cable. It will be a couple of days before that comes in. Hopefully that will fix the problem...We'll see!

• 3 weeks later...

Well, yesterday they replaced the suspect cable...Didn't fix the problem. They are ordering new replacement camera now. We can only hope. The camera has returned to operational and then died several times while we waited for the cable.

Just before we went back to the dealer's shop for the camera our individual temperature controls went on the blink. The shop fixed that claiming it was a loose connection. before the repair the left control would go up but not down and just the opposite on the right control. Neat having all these hi-tech electronics but it seems they are just problems waiting to happen.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 years later...

Hi all!  It has been almost a year since my last post. My 2015 DJ’s camera stopped working last summer after moving to New Mexico during the heat of the summer. When winter came around and 50degree temperatures hit, the camera started working.  Once temps started hitting over 90 degrees this summer, I experienced the flashing screen until it black out with only the words showing “check surroundings”

I purchased a replacement camera, checked connections behind the Navi unit and even checked checked the backup camera fuse.

All checked out but the camera didn’t work.  Earlier this week the temp dropped to 60 degrees and the camera started working.  By the afternoon and temps hitting almost 90., the camera went out again. 

I am at wits end why the camera works in lower temps.  This issue did not occur when I lived in California.  Oh yes, the dealership said it may be the Navi unit electronics when I asked them during an oil change at the beginning of the year.

This is an old  thread, but I am hoping someone may have experienced it an has a recommendation to get it working in hot weather.