Brake Controller w/ LED Lights... HELP!

coke6pk

We just recently bought a 2011 Dodge Journey SXT. I took the vehicle to have a hitch mounted, wiring harness installed, and brake controller put in. The shop was able to do the hitch and wiring harness, but had to quit on the brake controller. From what I understand, the level of the wiring is too low due to the LED Brake lights.

I tried a local RV dealer thinking they would of had similar issues, but they are also at a roadblock. Seems Chrysler isn't helping much.

Has anyone had success in installing a Brake Controller in a Dodge Journey (with LED lights), and if so, can you please share how it was done. Our trailer is in storage, and pretty soon I need to get it out.... and I don't want to attempt that w/o the trailer brakes obviously!

Coke

• 3 months later...

Hey Coke,

I just ordered a hitch myself for my Journey. I'm also looking to get the brake controller installed and can't seem to find anybody who can help me with that either. I saw you posted this thread back in April. Did you find a solution to your problem? I'm from Sudbury, Ontario. I'd be willing to drive anywhere to get a fix.

• 9 months later...

here some info on wiring 2011 ,i have 2013 planing to do instalation tekonsha P3 but quite shur that you can not hook up to the switch directly, i have not yet did any test yet , But from what i see that you found at the switch ,well i think that look like wire that we need is there on info sheet i have post and link , ... BUT i am verry good at this and i think that the right wire to do this might be at the end of the origenal wire harness dodge or any adapter requiered for trailer , at the end ther is 2 or 3 relays one of them must be for braking light you must only hook up at the end of relay not at the end of the 4 wire plug would be pin #85 or 86 and I would use a second relay there to do the switching of 12volt for the brake controle ,just to be safe , here what i have found or go to http://www.commandocaralarms.com/wiring/1987-1993/Gmc/Vandura/629.html

Dodge Journey 2011- IAM planing to do this on my journey some time this week . So i will have the Right spot and Information for this ..!

PART COLOR LOCATION 12 VOLT CONSTANT RED (+) @ BCM, LT.GRAY 4-PIN PLUG(C2), PIN 3, SEE NOTE #2 STARTER LT.BLUE/TAN (+) for STARTER KILL ONLY!! @ BCM, BLACK 24-PIN PLUG(C1), PIN 19, SEE NOTE #2 STARTER 2 PURPLE/LT.BLUE (?) @ KEYLESS IGNITION NODE (START/STOP Button) BLACK 6-PIN PLUG, PIN 4 IGNITION 1 PINK/WHITE (+) @ BCM, BLACK 48-PIN PLUG(C5), PIN 27, SEE NOTE #2 IGNITION 2 N/A IGNITION 3 N/A ACCESSORY/HEATER BLOWER 1 N/A ACCESSORY/HEATER BLOWER 2 N/A KEYSENSE N/A PARKING LIGHTS ( - ) EHITE/BROWN (-) THRU a 1130 Ohm resistor, use a Relay to ISOLATE Switch @ BCM, BLUE 24-PIN PLUG(C7), PIN 20, SEE NOTE #2 PARKING LIGHTS ( + ) SEE NOTE #3 @ BCM, SEE NOTE #2 POWER LOCK PURLE/LT. GREEN (-) THRU a 330 Ohm Resistor will LOCK @ BCM, BLACK 48-PIN PLUG(C6), PIN 23 (without One-Touch up Windows) SEE NOTE #2 POWER UNLOCK using same wire, a (-) THRU a 100 Ohm Resistor will UNLOCK DIAGRAM DOOR TRIGGER PURPLE (-) @ BCM, BLACK 48-PIN PLUG(C6), PIN 25, SEE NOTE #2 DOMELIGHT SUPERVISION YELLOW/PURPLE (+) @ BCM, BLUE 24-PIN PLUG(C7), PIN 14 SEE NOTE #2 TRUNK RELEASE N/A SLIDING POWER DOOR N/A HORN DK.GREEN/WHITE (+) @ BCM, BLACK 24-PIN PLUG(C1), PIN 23, SEE NOTE #2 TACH BROWN/YELLOW, BROWN/DK.BLUE, BROWN/LT.BLUE, BROWN/TAN, BROWN/ORANGE or BROWN/PURPLE (AC) @ Any FUEL-INJECTOR, 2-PIN PLUG, PIN 2 WAIT TO START LIGHT N/A BRAKE DK.GREEN/WHITE (+) @ BCM, WHITE 24-PIN PLUG(C4), PIN 18, SEE NOTE #2 FACTORY ALARM DISARM N/A ANTI-THEFT NO INFORMATION AT THIS TIME!! See NOTE #1

EXTRA INFORMATION NOTE #1: There is NO INFORMATION on the ANTI-THEFT SYSTEM or an INTERFACE BYPASS MODULE for this vehicle AT THIS TIME!! NOTE #2: The BCM is located Behind the GLOVE BOX. NOTE #3: The LEFT FRONT Parkinglight wire is a WHITE/BROWN (+) @ BCM, BLACK 24-PIN PLUG(C1) PIN 4, the RIGHT FRONT Parking light wire is a WHITE/ORANGE (+) @ BCM, WHITE 24-PIN PLUG(C4) PIN 3, the LEFT REAR Parking light wire is a WHITE/GRAY (+) @ BCM, BLACK 48-PIN PLUG(C6) PIN 32 and the RIGHT REAR Parking light wire is a WHITE/ORANGE (+) @ BCM, BLACK 48-PIN PLUG(C5) PIN 4, when connecting use a

Edited by harry.j

• 1 year later...

EDIT: this is the wrong wire. I think this is the wire that controls the solenoid to allow you to shift out of park. Everything tested fine but I realized today that there is no signal when not in park. Useless for a brake controller use.

Does anyone know which wire to use on a 2013 dodge journey rallye?

ORIGINAL POST: just did a 2013 dodge journey rt rallye. wire i used was white with olive stripe

post-10315-0-61430200-1419722678_thumb.j

Edited by caleb7777

• 1 year later...

Ok folks. Here's what I ended up doing with my 2011 Dodge Journey. I got researching all different dodge car brake peddle assemblies. I found that the 2010 crew model had the same mounting bracket as my 2011. What I ended up doing was get a stoplight switch from advance auto parts for a 2010 journey crew. Here's where it gets fun. The stem/plate on your peddle needs to be about 2" closer to the driver. I jb welded a piece of 1/2" tubing to it, as well as put a clamp around it so I didn't have to worry about it coming off.

Then I went under the hood and attached a 20amp circuit breaker. I attached one side to go to the battery. Other side goes to the first blade of the switch towards the plunger. The second wire blade from the plunger I hooked my feed wire to the controller wire. That way I have a dedicated 12volt from battery to breaker to switch to controller. Just took some engineering to figure out the switch issue.

With a 2,500 max towing capacity that declines as you add passengers and luggage, why do you guys need brakes on your trailers? How big of a trailer are you planning to tow? Seems to me a brake controller on a DJ is a waste of money. My Nitro had the wire for a brake controller, but it could tow 5,000 pounds, with no mention of passenger/luggage. My Lowe Aluminum Bass Boat with a 150 Yamaha. weighed in at about 2,000 pounds.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 years later...