My rig - using towing capacity to full capability

joe8918

Hi - it doesn't seem like many people use the full towing capacity of their Journey. I have been utilizing it with great success. I have a 2010MY R/T with towing prep. I installed the Curt hitch. I had a dealer install the 7 pin connector. I'm towing a 2011MY Jayco X17Z. I have a Prodigy brake controller and an Equalizer hitch. We took it on 4 different camping trips last year and had a great time. The fuel economy really is decreased as I only get 11.4 MPG but that's what you get when you tow like this. I only drive 60MPH and never go into 6th gear. If its really hilly terrain I have to rarely put it in 4th. I will post pics from another post.

Joe

According to Jayco's website, dry weight is 3120 lbs and 415 lb hitch weight. Of course, fill the trailer with food, cookware, clothing, toys, potable water, etc. and the weight will go up fast. 83 gallons of onboard tanks = 690 more lbs if full.

Obviously pushing 4000 lbs.

Fully loaded, my boat is about 3000 lbs - I'll be picking up from winter storage in a few weeks. I'll post some photos then.

The Jayco website you see if for the 2012MY which is slightly higher. RV manufacturer's normally put the "off the line" weight on their sites and literature. What you need to look at is the sticker on the RV entry door. Mine says that it is 3094lbs. The hitch weight is something which is also something that "on paper" is unknown. I have a weight distribution system so my rear end is not seeing all 400 lbs obviously because some of that weight is distributed to the front my vehicle and the back of the trailer. That being said, I'm assuming I'm around 300 lbs trailer hitch weight with my WD system (Equalizer).

As I said, I am pushing the "limit", however, what is important to know when towing is what is your GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating) of the tow vehicle. The 2010 Journey is 8300 lbs or something like that (I have done the math this hasn't been a shot in the dark). I took the GCWR, the journey curb weight/passengers, trailer data, expected contents of trailer, and I am still thinking I'm fine. I did a "test pull" with an RV dealer to ensure that I'm not doing something foolish. You definatly know that you're pulling it but I baby the Journey when it's pulling. Let me know if anyone else has questions.

• 5 months later...

Hey Joe, I'd like to know how you're doing with this? I seem to be pushing the 3500 lb limit too. DJ seems to pull fine (mine's a Crew) with my wife, two kids, trailer and gear. I towed approx 6 times this summer without incident. And didn't seem to struggle at all. longest trip was about 2.5 hours one way. Last week i blew a connecting rod and i'm looking to see if anyone else is experiencing engine issues with or without towing. I have been very careful about the total weight as well. I don't want to have engine/tranny problems every year only for the sake of a few camping trips.

Anyone have any similar experience with towing near the max?

Joe you really need to reconsider exceeding any limitations from GVWR, GAWR, GCVWR because if you exceed any of those you are fully liable.

Your trailer is exactly the same as mine (well mine is older) and my Journey is a 2009 R/T so I do know what it is to tow that trailer and a few miles before the camp site I fill up the tank and that is in my opinion too much for the Journey.. Something will break.. Look what happened to JourneyDone, possibly a consequence of heavy towing.

I know that the Journey will tow that, I've done it like 5-7 times and nothing happened but I decided to buy a truck and release my Journey from towing duties..http://www.dodgejourneyforum.com/index.php?/topic/3440-now-im-retiring-the-journey-from-towing/

I find it too funny that our Trailers, hitches, controllers and Journey color and trim are the same! http://www.dodgejourneyforum.com/index.php?/topic/3351-finally-im-towing-the-travel-trailer/

Excellent taste my friend.. ;-)

Have fun!

You know.. I'll say it up front. I've never towed anything other a bike rack on any car.

I have a GC with the 3.6 and I drive it hard, I mean HARD! I use it to carry work equipment in the trunk (about 200lbs total)

I've carried 8 adults for moderate trips a few times (I know it's a 7 seater)

Don't get me wrong, I take good care of it, I just don't baby it on the highway. The 3.6 is a very capable engine. Towing to capacity shouldn't kill a journey with the 3.6.

Must've been simple bad luck.

I knew a guy a few years back with a Tahoe that was a 4 yr old at the time. Never towed anything, then 1 day he spun a bearing on the highway. It's just bad luck.

But then again, I'm not an expert.

• 2 months later...

When I tow with the RV I baby it to death. I also run premium fuel. Last camping trip of season my wife topped off with regular...baaaad performance. My towing MPG dropped 2 and I kept having to drop the trans back to 4th on even low angle assents (I drop it down anytime I can't maintain 52 or so MPH). I did a camping trip in MI last year when we drove out and the temp outside was 104...no temp overheating issues. I have meticulous maintenance records, Mobil 1 , Trailer tow prep.

I appreciate the suggestions but I think I'm going to continue to tow.