Radio Changing Stations on its own

This has been happening more often and I have an appt with the dealer to get it looked at on Tuesday. I asked about a FW update but he says none available as it is too new a radio. The only consistent thing about the the radio changing stations is that it always drops to a the lower number station. It never goes up. I'm on satellite all the time and it happens with great regularity. He is talking about replacing the radio. I've had this vehicle less than a month and this will be my second time to the dealer with problems. Power steering seal needed to be replaced and now this. And each time it takes two trips. I'll lose the car for the whole day in order for them to look at it. Beginning to think I made a serious mistake with this purchase :-(

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • Official Dodge Support

I've had the same issue within a month of buying the car. It seems to be an off and on issue. I plan to have the dealer look at it the next time it's in.

Mishell,

There was a service bulletin concerning this issue. See below.

NUMBER: 08-030-12 REV. B

GROUP: Electrical

DATE: July 12, 2012

SUBJECT:

RHA And REB Radio Software Enhancements

OVERVIEW:

This bulletin involves upgrading the software on the RHA or REB Radio.

MODELS:

2011 - 2012 (LX) 300

2011 - 2012 (JC) Journey

2011 - 2012 (LD) Charger

NOTE: This bulletin applies to JC vehicles built between May 1, 2011 (MDH 0501XX)

and March 22, 2012 (MDH 0322XX). LD/LX vehicles built between May 1, 2011

(MDH 0501XX) and March 27, 2012 (MDH 0327XX) that are equipped with

UCONNECT TOUCH 4.3 CD/MP3 (sales code RHA) or UCONNECT TOUCH

4.3S CD/MP3/SAT (sales code REB).

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:

· USB/CD skips while playing.

· Radio changes stations on it's own.

· Radio locks up intermittently or fully inoperative.

· Radio cuts in and out, resets on it's own or completely inoperative.

· Diagnostic trouble code (DTC) U0147 - Lost Communication With Telematics

Gateway.

· Radio mutes or Intermittently mutes.

· Radio Display goes blank.

· When the ignition is first turned on, the audio volume is very high.

· CD audio glitch and/or audio drop out for 0.2 seconds.

· The driver's heated seat soft key is grayed out on the radio display.

· CD skips repeatedly while playing.

· CD jumps tracks after cranking the engine, turning the radio off and then on, and/or

after depressing the stop and then play soft key.

· In USB playback mode a blank screen, or the last displayed screen, is displayed

when the ABC soft key is pressed.

· An iPod Nano connected in USB mode may fail to play and/or the Pause and Play

keys are reversed on the radio display.

· Multiple instances of the same Sirius Game Zone entry may be displayed.

· Intermittently, the back-up chime sounds continuously once vehicle is put into

forward gear, instead of shutting off.

HI DodgeCares

I have a May 2012 build on my Journey R/T and have the same problem with the satellite area of the infotaiment system, randomly changing stations on start up. I think I mentioned this 'gremlin' in my two month review.

Will there be any flash updates in the near future fro this problem for builds after March 2012?

• Official Dodge Support

HI DodgeCares

I have a May 2012 build on my Journey R/T and have the same problem with the satellite area of the infotaiment system, randomly changing stations on start up. I think I mentioned this 'gremlin' in my two month review.

Will there be any flash updates in the near future fro this problem for builds after March 2012?

From what I understand they are working on a few more software updates at this time. If any new ones come out I will post them.

There was a service bulletin concerning this issue. See below.

NUMBER: 08-030-12 REV. B

GROUP: Electrical

DATE: July 12, 2012

· Intermittently, the back-up chime sounds continuously once vehicle is put into

forward gear, instead of shutting off.

I think that I had this update (or the equivalent one for europe) applied, though I cannot be sure (not even the dealer knows what the update was supposed to fix).

Not only it didn't solve any of the problems I have been reporting for the last year or so (well, maybe the radio not starting but it's too soon to tell), but this one (continuous chime) still happens from time to time.

Conversely, it doesn't sound when it should (which already caused me a minor accident, I rely on the sensors since they worked reliably on my previous car).

• 4 months later...

I also have the problem of the radio station changing on its own. I brought it up to the dodge dealer where I bought it and he said they couldn't find anything wrong with it. And when I stepped away told my husband I was pushing the buttons on the steering wheel!!!

• 4 months later...

Hi, I just started having this exact same issue with symptoms described above on my 2012 Journey SXT. It is about 7 months old and just started happening last week. I was mostly using FM but also happens on XM Radio. Has anybody heard any more on if the service bulletin and SW update fixes the problem?

The radio on my grand caravan a feature "auto frequency"

It changes the station on its own if it becomes weak. AF, I can turn it off.

Never seen that on the DJ (8.4) but I also haven't looked for it either.

Is it possible that the radio is looking for stronger signals?

Which direction does the tuner go? Up, down, or random?

Edited by Mcgusto82

@Mcgusto82, that's a feature of RDS, and it will only switch to a different frequency of the same station (and, of course, it's a feature that doesn't work properly in this car).

No. It switches upwards to the next available frequency. RDS is seperate of it.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

I have a 2014 Journey and my radio does this. It changes stations on its own and always goes down. It is the 4 inch screen one. No navigation center or factory satellite. Has anyone uncovered the problem with this yet? I don't want to throw a switch in the steering wheel if I don't have to. It seems like mine comes and goes but it changed 3 times in 45 minutes yesterday and 6 times today.

• 4 months later...

Clean around the bezel of the touch screen, do not spray anything directly on the touchscreen, and then take a thin credit card and run it around between the screen and the bezel, especially on the bottom.  The  problem is if you use a spray cleaner to clean the touch screen,  it runs to the bottom along with anything else that is there and drags the contaminants between the screen and the bezel, after time it builds up and acts like something is touching the screen, using the card cleans the crap out and it is as good as new

• 5 years later...